Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: New Plymouth Medium Range Steel Shoot

I am a maybe at this stage, ment to be racing stockcars that weekend but will let you know closer to the date

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    I am a maybe at this stage
    Thats fine, who turns up will turn up on the day. Pretty much everyone will be welcome.

I'll put together a bit of a format and plan for the day in the next couple of weeks so everyone knows what to expect. I expect to have just about all my targets placed so you can see most of them for several shoot positions. At some stage i'll have a look over the rest of the farm as the farmer thinks i could run a full on medium range (300-700m) field shoot there.

Ejected
    Keen as a bean. Be coming down with Savage1. Will you be running a combination of steel gongs and scoring targets?

Targets are all steel. I may get convinced to have a paper target at 100m for after the competition.

I ran a short range steel shoot out there today. The owner is happy with the date so that is set now as the 16th of March.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Keen as a bean. Be coming down with Savage1. Will you be running a combination of steel gongs and scoring targets?
    I'll apply for leave tonight.

we are keen me +1

Anyone want to propose some ideas for a short competition to kick the day off? We can have a social shooting session afterwards for people that just want to see how their rifles go and ring some steel but i think a short competition would be good to start with.

Cheers

pistols at dawn type event?

Have say a knock-out event where to people have a shoot out and winner progresses to next round. Could do say 3 shots per target, target at 3 rangers etc?

Ejected
    Muzzle breaks aloud? I'm really just wanting to have a crack at pinging some steel with my 338lm. Haven't shot more than 150m with it yet haha. Will take part in any comp you run though. Whats the likely hood of getting some ranges out past that 750m mark?

Knockout sounds cool, timed so fastest goes through if both gets all hits? I will probably go out first round on last weekends performance haha.

Muzzle breaks are fine - but i'll make you all shoot together... right next to each other

Seriously though muzzle breaks are fine. Targets might get out to 950\1000m but no further. Pretty hard to set a couse for everyone and the lay of the land limits it to about 1000m.

I was thinking a time event to hit one target - starting with all your crap atill in your vehicle how you packed it at home
    Savage1 likes this.

How about having say 15 numbered targets out in front, range officier will call a number and you have 3 minutes to find it, range it, and fire 3 shots at it from a standing start, carrying all your gear from 5m back from the line.

If you had a scorer per shooter you could have a few people shoot at the same time

Ejected
    That sounds cool. I have no range finder though. Therefore we should ALL have to range the targets with mildots.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    That sounds cool. I have no range finder though. Therefore we should ALL have to range the targets with mildots.....
    But i don't have a .338 therefore we should ALL have to shoot projectiles with a BC less than mine....

Sweetas if you want to range using your recticle but I suspect you may want to borrow a range finder on the day.
    199p and Rich007 like this.

Ejected
    I have 308 if you want to even the odds. Borrow range finder? I have no friends let alone rich ones haha. Maybe I will just blase away till I get a hit. Has semi worked for me in the past.

Have put my leave in. Is camping night before a possibility, bit of a drive for Savage1 and I.

But i don't have a .338
    Anyone who wants a go with it is more than welcome. Will try load up a few rounds.

If i make it i will bring my 7mm08 to compaire to the 308 lol

Also have something a little bigger :p