Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: New shooter looking for a place to shoot near Auckland

Question New shooter looking for a place to shoot near Auckland

New shooter here, finally received my FAL after three and half year wait, went in and bought a 10/22 today and now...
    (honestly wasn't expecting my FAL to get processed this fast)

Does anyone have a private land that's safe for some target shooting? Within two hours of drive from Auckland area maybe? Can pay by the hour.

- Mike

Hi Mike.
    Unfortunately that's like looking for the Holy Grail. Your best bet would be to join a club, these guys are fun indoor .22 shooting https://msrc.co.nz/ or nz deerstalkers for if/when you move to larger calibers. It never hurts to start making face to face contacts.
    Al.

Where in Auckland are you
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

I live in Wainui, I might be able to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mroach View Post
    I live in Wainui, I might be able to help you out.
    Wainui-an... hello neighbour.

there is the Auckland shooting club based in makarau, might be worth having a look \joining
    Good, Fast, Cheap....choose any 2.

Quote Originally Posted by KYP181744136 View Post
    New shooter here, finally received my FAL after three and half year wait, went in and bought a 10/22 today and now...
    (honestly wasn't expecting my FAL to get processed this fast)

Does anyone have a private land that's safe for some target shooting? Within two hours of drive from Auckland area maybe? Can pay by the hour.

- Mike
    Kinda off topic but how long did it take for you to receive your license after the interviews? I am also based in Auckland.

To the OP, are you employed by the Police........

In short: about 2~3 months after the interview.

But yours may be different b/c mine was some how a "historical" application, yeah that's how bad it is.
    If you are younger and no one in your family has a FAL, be prepared for many years of waiting and BS from them.
    Hopefully you didn't fall into the interview traps, good luck man.

Welcome to the forum

I would recommend coming along to MSRC on a Wednesday night. We shoot 25m indoors every week from first week of Feb to about mid Dec. 100 Wellington Street, Howick, Auckland.
    Safety briefing for new shooters is at 6:30. Your welcome to bring your own rifles / ammo or there are club rifles available for hire and ammo for purchase.

Standard shoot is 50 rds on a target that includes Prone, Sitting, Kneeling and Standing and is challenging, yet accessible for new shooters.
    I have been shooting there every week for around 4 years now and love it, its a good group and a well run club and there are some very good shooters that are happy to help with training / shooting tips.
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SixtyTen View Post
    I would recommend coming along to MSRC on a Wednesday night. We shoot 25m indoors every week from first week of Feb to about mid Dec. 100 Wellington Street, Howick, Auckland.
    Safety briefing for new shooters is at 6:30. Your welcome to bring your own rifles / ammo or there are club rifles available for hire and ammo for purchase.

Standard shoot is 50 rds on a target that includes Prone, Sitting, Kneeling and Standing and is challenging, yet accessible for new shooters.
    I have been shooting there every week for around 4 years now and love it, its a good group and a well run club and there are some very good shooters that are happy to help with training / shooting tips.
    What calibres can be shot there ?

There are a few NZDA branches up auckland ways that have ranges.
    They also run HUNTs courses that are good for new hunters.
    There are a few places between Dargavile and auckland that hold a few goats but I don't know how the roads are now.
    There are a couple of good clay bird shooting clubs as well if thats your fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by 30.06king View Post
    What calibres can be shot there ?
    We primarily shoot 22lr, but other rimfire cartridges are fine as well, so you could zero a .17 or 22mag. You can also do the standard shoot with these if you want to (but $$$)
    No centerfire unfortunately.
    300CALMAN likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SixtyTen View Post

I am keen on coming along one day to the club. I sent an email via the website and a text to Andrew using the number on the website but never got a response. Is there a better method of contacting the club?