Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Newbie needs help setting up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackangus View Post
    I think I'll start with 100m-300m with iron sight like I used to do in the army, in prone position.
    But I agree 5.56 wont cut it at 1000m, so I might just have to go up to a 303 or something like that.
    Just the ammo is so expensive.

Would you guys agree a 303 would give me the freedom to go up to 1000m?
    Buy some reloading gear and make your own ammo if ammo cost is an issue, maybe look into something like the 280 remington, 6.5x55, 7mm rem mag, 264 win mag if you want a 1000 meter capable caliber and use berger VLD, sierra match king or hornady A-max bullets if you decide to take the reloading route.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Well I did say I was a complete newbie, so yes I do have a lot to learn.

I think considering the response I've just got from a few of you guys, I should just talk to the guys at the range. I think they would be a lot more helpful.

I joined the forum to try and get some knowledge from you more experienced guys about shooting, not to get trashed for knowing nothing about rifles and ranges.

I said on the first line of my post I'm a complete newbie.
    Everyone has to start somewhere, it's a shame some people forget that.

Whoa dude it was a bit of ribbing mate they did not mean to give you the wrong idea, if you care to take a real good look on this forum you will see that a lot of members give each other a ribbing over a lot of stuff. Take a few deep breaths then read again and you will see the humor in it
    199p, mikee, kiwi39 and 3 others like this.

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

What about 308?

ebf
    Whoa horse, settle down - we take the piss with each other fairly regularly on here, and every now and then there is even a bit of goatfucking

Before you buy anything, do yourself a favour and go try at least the following:

Smallbore target
    Fullbore target
    Service rifle
    Maybe NZDA comp if they run one in your area

Once you've done that, tell us which one floats your boat, and there will be someone on here to answer your questions.
    steven, Gibo and PERRISCICABA like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Whoa horse, settle down - we take the piss with each other fairly regularly on here, and every now and then there is even a bit of goatfucking

Before you buy anything, do yourself a favour and go try at least the following:

Smallbore target
    Fullbore target
    Service rifle
    Maybe NZDA comp if they run one in your area

Once you've done that, tell us which one floats your boat, and there will be someone on here to answer your questions.
    Shit mate don't mention the goats this soon he's not settled in yet
    ebf, mikee, Pengy and 4 others like this.

im looking for a target shooting mate, some one to head to a few comps with, run ideas off, where abouts in the country are you?

Fair enough fellas, maybe I was a little thin skinned.

Will do ebf, thanks for the feedback.

Hi Stuart i'm in Wellington.

ebf
    Hi Stuart i'm in Wellington.
    Ah well, that makes it easy.

Speak to @steven about service rifle out at Kaitoke

Join me for NRA fullbore at Trentham, I will introduce you to one of the top smallbore coaches in the country if you want to give that a go

And @kiwi39 is the range officer / general dogsbody at Kapiti NZDA
    Scouser and PERRISCICABA like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

im in christchurch, so not ideal, lol.
    if it was fullbore you were after id go to one of the wellington clubs, have a chat to them. then buy a 308 omark, the're around $500 these days it seems. then just get out shooting it learn the wind. can buy dyer projectiles for around the $500 mark per 1000. so loading for under $1 a round with primers and powder. then your big decision is scope. i bought a fx3 12 power leupold scope for around $1000 and used that for three years before i upgraded and i still think about changing back to it because it was so good, can shoot it out to 1000yds if you like no matter what people tell you. i used exactly what i wrote there and that could place you pretty high in a f class comp if your shooting is up to it. (especially ones that stop around the 700 or 800 yd mark)

I spoke to someone from Trentham on Monday, and I'm heading down there on Saturday to have a wee go.

Hope to see you down there on Saturday or sometime soon.

My name is Lee. Pleased to meet you ebf, whats your name buddy?

I will be there shooting my No4 303 as well, assuming Im over the damn flu by then....

regards
    Spook likes this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Hi everyone.

I'm a complete newbie to target shooting, and at the moment just going through the steps to get my license.
    I'm already looking at what rifle to buy when I get my license. As I know nothing I would love your guys help on this.

I have up to $3000 to spend on the rifle, and that could be without a scope as I'm happy to use iron sights for a while.
    I really just want to use the rifle for target shooting, not too bothered about hunting at the moment.

Also which caliber to buy, and make of rifle. I want to fire decent distances maybe up to 1000m.
    Obviously i will need a scope for anything above 300m. But I'm happy firing up to 300m in the meantime.

Would love your input.

Its horrible being a newbie, but you have to start somewhere.
    What sort of target shooting?

Yes I was in the British army for a while.
    Just fired the SA80 5.56 semi auto.
    Would quite like something similar as far as power goes.
    But not sure if you use anything like that for target shooting.
    Hi,

So broadly,

Good, you'll understand safety and all the basics like trigger control, huge advantage.

If you want to do "formal" target shooting there is the NZ NRA which is bolt action 308win only in effect. There are 3 classes, TR which is iron sights and sling, FTR which is the same gun but a scope and bipod, and F open which is any caliber to 8mm? which is also bloody expensive as it goes through a $1k barrel in a season (its also probably dangerous as they overload so much). Trouble is a gun for NRA is $6k to do this, but the good news is clubs usually have club guns. I use the club's 308w TR and FTR gun when not shooting 303. You can shot a 223/556nato in this as well but the wind with an 80grain bullet would be an um challenge. In saying this Im thinking of using a AR15 with a high spec upper to do just this.

Welcome to the NRA NZ | National Rifle Association of New Zealand

You should be able to find a club near you from the above. I usually shoot my No4 Enfields at Trentham but they are only allowed to 600yds. So above 600yds I shoot TR or sometimes FTR. Im considering shooting an AR15 but I have to see if they will allow this or not, in theory, yes but they are a bunch of crabby oldies.

My club also has complete reloading gear so you can reload for the wholesale cost of components in effect, 90cents a pop for 308w.

Then there is service rifle which is usually 100m but can go to 600m. In this we shoot any military rifle and mil caliber.

WSRA

So a 223/556nato AR15 is a frequently used gun and its a lot of fun. Again I shoot 303brit or Russian 54R, but cheap SKSs ($400~$450) are used as well as a lot of Ar15s.

Best bet is go along to some clubs and events and see what lights your fire and talk to the ppl about what you can shoot. I started with small bore went to scoped FTR now shoot iron sights and I am getting an AR15 soon.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Oh and dont go near EBF, you dont want to join his club.....my club is way better.

enjoy, see you there.
    kiwi39 likes this.