Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Recommendations for subsonic .270 ammo?

mimms2 you appearto favour head/atlas joint shots....so tell me do you prefer a stout projectile or a fast expanding /varmit type for this shot?????

the heart is avoided by all BUT bowhunters (for obvious reasons) so it can still PUMP blood out of the holes you cause in the blood vessels,the ultimate isto hit major blood vessels in base of lungs,near heart WITHOUT HITTING IT so it pumps furiously and animal runs out of oil so to speak in matter of seconds....very similar to sticking a pig. if you heart shoot an animal without hitting leg bones to immobilise it (shot goes behind forelegs low down) the animal can carry on untill the blood in system runs out of oxigen...Ive seen heart shot hares go 50-75 yards on enough occasions to proove this one. never seen a shoulder shot one go anywhere.

Greetings All,
    I have yet to see a better description of options for killing shots on deer than the chapters contained in "The Sharp Shooter". This was a book by Matt and Bruce Grant is the collected writings of both men previously published in Outdoor Mag. In my ever so slightly humble opinion these chapters should be required reading for all who carry a rifle into the New Zealand bush.
    Regards Grandpamac.

I try and avoid hitting the heart as it’s one of the best eating bit of the deer..

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Never. Ever. Not once...Have I suggested trying to kill a thing by shooting it in or through the arm (shoulder).
    Whaddaya mean "probably"??
    Why so hostile? Because that is the sort of guy he is-anchor it. I wasn't there and it is a long time ago, so I am deferring to an old memory. He was genuinely surprised with the shot he did, why it wasn't where it should be.
    He is not the only experienced guy I know that take the front legs out if he has to.
    I have no doubt he would do precise shots on occasion especially if he was selling it back when you could. Plus the fact he got a piece of bone out of it would suggest major bone hit by projectile.

you are only able to get the subx range in NZ at the moment 300blk, 3030, 308, 450BM

30cal is my favorite size for subs, bigger is better but louder

Ill make some 243 subs up at some stage for the same reason, I get farken bored carrying a rifle all day and not bieng able to shoot hares, possoms, rabbits and subs work just fine if you put them into the skull cavity filled with the brainy part in anything

if you can convince someone to hand load for you a lead cast hollow point with trailboss you will get the effectiveness of a subsonic 22lr

Im a huge fan of subs and have gotten really good at killing things with it, BUT think of your bullet like a knitting needle and if you poke it where you are aiming will it die?
    i self set a max range of about 35m

I go for the brain box and make scrambled eggs from it

Name:  pigbrain.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  10.2 KB

Name:  185 pigo.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  483.8 KB
    Dama dama likes this.

yeah my dad shot a deer up the date and had zero meat damage and pulverised internals. what a fucking mess that would be to clean tho, I hate popping the poo bag let alone exploding it at 3200fps

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    It was not intended to be hostile so sorry if it came across that way.

The way I first read it I was surprised at "probably a shoulder shot" thinking "surely you must know where you were aiming"!
    (and by extrapolation, where you hit)
    As posted-wasn't me.
    And to be fair back then and probably a little now I would still on occasion-depending on calibre-take out the front legs with a highish shoulder shot with the intent to take out vitals in-between. very dependant on time allowed, animal in question, size etc. though

A 300 blackout would be the best to get if that’s what you want. Has the correct twist rate for that speed and can buy factory 200gr subsonic ammo. Small light rifle 10-12” barrel. 30 cal projectile out to about 80-100m. The ruger American is a good cheap rifle for that.

@nakikiwi
    There is a load in the ADI manual using a 130gr HDY SP and Trailboss powder. 14.0gr for 1,318fps and 19.7gr for 1.537fps. Not subsonic but won't be much louder than a 22.
    Other trail boss load for various cartridges can be found here
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial

Hodgon does have some loads going about 1300fps,think they used trailboss.... not quite subsonic but would be much quiter with a supressor