Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Reducing recoil due to injuries

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    well Im going to play devils advocate here...AGAIN......
    if you have stuffed shoulder so recoil is an issue and a stuffed ankle so mobility is an issue??????how the hell are you intending to recover and utilise any animal you shoot?????
    my .270 now wears a GW Spartan suppressor and it has taken recoil way down. if you limit your range a LITTLE you could drop projectile weight a LITTLE and that will drop recoil a LOT.
    why not put 300 away for now and use smaller cartridge and sneak in closer slowly?????
    All good points.
    Being winter Im not too worried about the meat going off in a hurry.
    I have a few keen young chaps handy who will come out the next day to help with the meat ( for a share ).
    Sadly I don't even have the option of using the right hand bolt in my Blaser ( Im left handed ) as I injured both shoulders at the same time !!
    Im thinking the Past recoil shields look like they might be the way to go.

+1 on the Limbsaver recoil pads. Big difference on my 308 but admittedly the recoil is only really a problem at the range where you shoot multiple rounds.

At the end of the day though when the big callibres speak the prey drops so you should only need to let off one shot.

I have a removable brake for my 270WSM. It's the best thing of ever done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Put the 308 barrel / suppressor on it today with the biggest heaviest Nightforce scope ( the joy of blaser saddle mounts ) and 125 grain accubonds.
    Put new THLR cheek rest riser on to help get shoulder and cheek all in the correct alignment.
    THLR seems to work well.
    Shot well on the bench and only started to hurt after 6 shots.
    So will stick to that for now ... looks pretty unusual with massive nightforce on bush pig length R93 !!
    Blaser, Matt2308 and Danny like this.

Well done mate and thanks for my new toy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

125grn through .308...now your thinking right, go get em and don't forget to post us some photos. the ballistic tips are cheap as chips too and might even shoot to similar P.O.I. if your lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    125grn through .308...now your thinking right, go get em and don't forget to post us some photos. the ballistic tips are cheap as chips too and might even shoot to similar P.O.I. if your lucky.
    The BTs and accubonds shoot to the exact same point of aim for me.
    Worked up a decent ballistic chart today ( never bothered with the 308 previously as not for long range ) and checked it on my 400m range.
    Almost perfectly on with the JMB ballistics calculator and grouped just under 100mm at 400m

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    The 300 already has a suppressor.
    Im sick of shooting small animals !!!
    I can run the 308 barrel but would like the range and margin for error that the 300 has.
    limbsaver will help in a big way.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

I had my right shoulder under the knife 3 years ago, they went in in 4 different locations around the shoulder to fix it. I waited about 3 months before getting behind any rifles and in that period I spent some dough fitting muzzle brakes and Limbsavers to a few of my rifles.
    I can shoot both my 300win mags all day with no problems. Last year I bought shift14's 375h&h and the same mods plus the addition of a strapon shoulder pad before I even pulled the trigger, it works a treat.

Got away yesterday for first proper hunt. Didn't see anything in the evening.
    But got onto 2 reds very early this morning and dropped the yearling at exactly 375m with the 308 / 125 accubond load as listed above ( couldn't get any closer ).
    Got a teenage son of a friend to help get the last of the meat out this afternoon.

Name:  P1030459.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  1.11 MB

Nice one David, good to see your getting back out on the hill again!
    I finally got the 338LMAI up and running today and stretched its legs out to 1200m.
    I recon it probably recoils about the same as a 308, except it's launching a 300 grain projectile at 2975fps! :-)
    Your welcome to have a play if you want to see how effective the break is!

good stuff Akaroa....... now I sure hope you gave them lads a cold beer or six after they helped you process all that primo venni????