Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By dannyb
  • 2 Post By grandpamac

Thread: Remington 783 in 270

Walking my rifle

Remington 783 in 270

Hi guys

So a mate got himself a rem 783 in 270 recently, a package deal from somewhere.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone had one in 270 and what factory ammo it likes to shoot, yes i know rifles are diffrent, but i also know that often modern rifles will mostly shoot well with the same ammo apart from a few outliers.

Keen to hear how good/bad it shoots with what factory ammo

Since its his 1st rifle and he has very little shootibg experience, ill get him to buy the cheapest ammo, should be the 130gr perfecta and use that to get familiar with the rifle, practice etc. (Ill shoot some groups with that combo to give him a baseline) and once he gets close we can worry about getting better ammo.

In saying that, that ammo will kill a deer just fine. So depends on how it shoots of i get him to try better ammo later or not
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

In no specific order...
    Hornady precision hunter (145gn)
    Hornady whitail (130 or 150gn)
    Sako Gamehead (140gn)
    Federal blue box (130gn)

If he's going to shoot longer range the precision hunter is probably the pick of the bunch, but likely also the modt expensive too, but the 145gn eldx pill has proven effective on deers near and far.
    The Sako Gamehead would also be good for longer ranges and probably a little cheaper.
    Everything else should shoot well and if your mate is a bit recoil sensitive then stick to 130gn offerings to start and just limit his range.
    I'm sure there are plenty of other offerings that would also shoot from the likes of winchester, nosler and fiocchi etc.
    Trout, GSP HUNTER and NewbieZAR like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Greetings,
    The 783 has a 1 in10 inch twist so it would be best to stick to a 130 grain projectile for a start.
    GPM.
    Trout and NewbieZAR like this.

Guy I know uses that perfecta 130gr in his 270,his first cntre fire.Shot a few deer with it in the last 6yrs.Brought 5 packx20 from GC at a good price.No deer shot pass 300yds so ammo okay inside that.Only hunts about 4 times a yr so guess he will be on that 5pack for a while yet.

When I got my 1st centre fire 308,I use to shoot 100s of roos and odd fellow deer using 147gr barnaul sp.That ammo was only $12-$15box of 20.Id keep a pkt of Hornady Superformance 165gr ssts aside just for reds.Different zero and could dial up to 400yds.Yrs later now I just shoot deer and use good quality ammo.