Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Ruahini NZDA Hunters Biathlon May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Don't worry Rushy, Vietnamcam, i'm sitting here laughing my arse off

As i said i have been running field shoots for 4-5 years now and one consistent comment i have got all the way through has been "You should make them run to get their heaert rate up and then see how they shoot". Every field shoot, short or long range, whether i have run it or not, i have heard a comment about introducing physical stress. Vietnamcam's comment honestly surprised me. After a few years of "You should make them run" i finally set a shoot where people are encouraged to move and i get a comment like that.

Cheers, Vietnamcam the shoot was a lot of fun. Even while managing it i was wishing i could have competed. We do try and set shoots to reflect hunting conditions and i can think of several occassions where i have been offerred a shot while climbing a hill, or shooting mobs of goats when i have had to shift position, or maybe just getting into a position with the animal already spooked...
    Maybe people don't have to run any more because they don't have to rely on a kill for their income. I've certainly done a lot of running to get to an animal/s before they disappeared into the bush or over a ridge line. You can certainly put a spurt on if the animal has a big $ sign on its side The shoot was totally realistic for this old bastard, and it was one of the best days I've had away from hunting for many years. I can't wait for the next one.

It fitted my adage perfectly "I might be slow, but at least I'm rough"

Looks like another awesome day Gillie. I really must get to one of your events as they look like a lot of fun, and mimic real life hunting/shooting conditions.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Banned
    tthere will be another one and its gonna be harder and more open.ill be chnging venue for tthe next one.
    tahr proved age is no barrier but you still have to be a good shooter under stress,gillie can taylor a gong shoot
    to any situation the type of gong shoots we do here
    match our hunting situation.alot of time and effort go into a gong shoot from gillie and it shows in how well the shoots run.
    its like everything though unless you line up on the startline with all the other keen buggers.......your only a dreamer.

I must be a dreamer then

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Me too so far, need to pull thumb out and make the effort to get to one.

Awesome stuff for organising this event Neckshot.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I must be a dreamer then

Me as well

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    There will be another one and its gonna be harder and more open. I'll be changing venue for the next one.
    I get the impression you'll be after a shoot involving targets at longer distances... careful with that, you may find it much harder to get people to turn up on the day. I really like the Steel Safari style shoots in the states. Be awesome to be able to do them here in NZ. Long range seems to be a bit of a fad in the shooting / hunting community at the moment and it is getting a bit of publicity but i would expect 95% of hunters will not be keen to turn up to a long range shooting event.

Personally i would rather see more hunters practice their standing and kneeling shooting as well as focusing on effective use of support in the field (trees, scrub, daypacks, etc...). Thats just me though i suppose.
    mattdw and Gibo like this.

Banned
    No longer between stages I'm talking about. Its a struggle no matter what ,and giving the shooter no info at each stage letting them make there own desision

And let magnums come along???
    7mmsaum likes this.

the anti-competition sentiment is weird. I'm super keen to shoot matches.

Iv been in a competitive circuit many times but unrelated to shooting. If you can't make your way all the way round the country due to time or money equipment failiure injury etc or any combination of those you don't even place . Regardless of your abilities .

I enjoyed the postal shoot way back.

Im sure i would have enjoyed this shoot if it was in my area, didn't require much travel or entree fee, the wife wasn't working, i had spare ammo to just shoot at stuff.

Its not as simple as if you don't turn up and shoot you must be full of shit

When I win lotto i shall attend and shoot every forum shoot and display my sufficient to put many deer on the deck level of accuracy from various positions.

"Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Banned
    Are
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    And let magnums come along???
    Not my plates mate so not my call. Remember ranges are under 300yds generally for our last two shoots,

Hey, I didn't turn up, so
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    Are

Not my plates mate so not my call. Remember ranges are under 300yds generally for our last two shoots,
    I'll bring some proper biz
    Least go up to 7mm rem mag

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Iv been in a competitive circuit many times but unrelated to shooting. If you can't make your way all the way round the country due to time or money equipment failiure injury etc or any combination of those you don't even place . Regardless of your abilities .

I enjoyed the postal shoot way back.

Im sure i would have enjoyed this shoot if it was in my area, didn't require much travel or entree fee, the wife wasn't working, i had spare ammo to just shoot at stuff.

Its not as simple as if you don't turn up and shoot you must bge full of shit
    Lhb
    When I win lotto i shall attend and shoot every forum shoot and display my sufficient to put many deer on the deck level of accuracy from various positions.

Ive been misenterprited, I fully agree vc .I just had alot of people tell me they are keen as to come and then pull out in the last minutev bhhh