Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Scope levels - do they work?

Todd Hodnett raises scope levels to unreal importance in order to make money - he basically says you'll miss if you dont have a scope level.

I detest that.
    AND for a skilled shooter "level" is a non-issue. I was simply looked into the discrepancy between the rumoured importance of scope levels and the LR results I've been able to firsthand see from shoters doing any range/angle/position and having absolutely no problem nailing it despite no scope level bubble thingie. What makes this possible is the vestibular sense and training.

By all means, be happy with your level.

AB Precision

Re: Scope levels - do they work?

Might want to edit my shit out:rolleyes:

I think level is needed for 600m plus stuff in hunting situation, I also use 1 in smallbore rifle shooting, like others said we zero an shoot at set ranges an get sighters at different ranges, at 50m it's unlimited I have to click on couple side ways form 25m to 50m

sent from my Samsung s3 using tapatalk 2

L.R
    Don't work on any of my shit today Abe!
    veitnamcam and Dougie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Norway View Post
    Todd Hodnett raises scope levels to unreal importance in order to make money - he basically says you'll miss if you dont have a scope level.

I detest that.
    AND for a skilled shooter "level" is a non-issue. I was simply looked into the discrepancy between the rumoured importance of scope levels and the LR results I've been able to firsthand see from shoters doing any range/angle/position and having absolutely no problem nailing it despite no scope level bubble thingie. What makes this possible is the vestibular sense and training.

By all means, be happy with your level.
    Its not something I covert at all, I actually don't like the look of them on a scope and I wont tell anyone to get one but from an individual point it dosn't need to be an opinion based decision, its easy to test measure and calculate.You dont even have to burn any ammo.
    Puffin likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Hey guys sorry to bring up an old topic, just trying to set up my first rifle to learn to dial my shots and reading thru old posts .
    I'm just not sure about canting my rifle to the scope . I under stand that you must have the scope reticle vertical other wise when you dial elevation you will dial off to the side and if the rifle is canted gravity only affects the bullet vertically so your elevation would be similar. And your scope is parallel to the bore so when you have scope zeroed at 100y you would have to have some windage dialed in, because the bullet isnt exiting directly inline with the relicle. So then when you wind up your elevation for 600y wouldn't you need to change your windage adjustment aswell because you would have gone from having say .25 of an inch windage to 3inchs and then when you are using a inclined base or rings like a 20 Moa base wouldn't your windage be off even more because of a greater bore to scope misalignment. You have now built in for eg if your rifle was canted 45degrees 10moa windage to the left.
    Sorry if its a bit confusing.

Thanks for your help.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome rusl
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Welcome.
    Yep scope levels do work if set up correctly.
    The question is do you actually need one,?

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Norway likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Welcome.
    Yep scope levels do work if set up correctly.
    The question is do you actually need one,?

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Last few times we went smashing gongs I never used mine. Folded it out once out of curiousity to find I was already more or less bang on. Cheap enough though.
    Norway and veitnamcam like this.

Thanks guys
    Yip not sure if you need a level or not that's really up to the shooter.
    The question I pose is if the rifle is canted as Norway suggests is proper form and the scope is levelled in this position so the bore is not vertical with the cross hairs, when I zero my rifle at 100y then dial up to 600y will my windage dope still be correct?
    I drew some birds eye views and projected the bullets path with the sight line and it doesn't work out.
    Or am I missing something really obvious?
    Cheers.

so long as your scope line is in perfect line with the barrel you'll be fine, with a canted base/rings it will throw it out.

If you have a canted base the cross hair should be in line with the barrel.

Well that's my theory, never experimented with the theory but would be easily tested.

Thanks savage1 that's exactly what I was thinking. Just thought I may have missed something.

If your scope is setup with the reticule lined up square to the barrel and you cant the rifle you will see that the horizontal cross hair is not level unless you have a problem with your eyes which is not likely, I've shot F class since it started and never needed a bubble level
    out to 1000 yrds it's just something else to get stuffed up. Robert.

LBD
    400m plus and you are starting to need one...

Here is a little trick to see how good you are without one... Get a 1m high sheet of card board and draw a straight line top to bottom.... mark a point 10cm up from the bottom. Use a spirit level and set the board up at 100m with the line absolutely vertical. Assuming you are zeroed at 100m, put 3 rounds on the bottom mark then adjust the elevation 8 mills up then repeat the 3 rounds while targeting the bottom mark.

I bet you cannot get the same size group, exactly on the line, exactly 80 cm above the first group, if you do not have a cant level...

Walking my rifle
    People who say you dont need a scope level propably dont shoot far enough to realise you need one in my opinion. It is part of your shooting system, on its own if you dont have a decent system then a bubble wont help you

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    I was reading Bryan Litz’s book last night on this
    And based on a 3 degree cant the bullet would move left or right

A 243 vs 308 and yards/inches

At 300 1 and 1.4
    At 500 3.1 and 4.4
    At 900 12.4 and 18.5

The difference is the trajectory of the 308 vs 243 being flatter