Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Setting my scope

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    It does matter though Neckshot.

And I can also tell you my rifles are .5 inch low at 50.
    it matters to the individual and were he zeroes it to suit him yes? thats my point. I lived by the 100m zero and it works perfect but then i borrowed a mates 243 and it was zeroed at 200. i took it goat slaying and on avg the goats were around the 240m t0 300 mark and all i had to do was aim at the shoulder and they dropped i didnt need hold over the scope didnt dail and i didnt need to change my point of aim for the odd goat under 100 either.I also practiced with my mates rifle the day before to get familier with it.My 260ai with vx3 cds is zeroed at 100m and i know were it shoots under 300m.

Ok Tussock and gimp, your both long rangers. What range are you meant to be sighted in for to begin with?

Whatever works for you
    Neckshot and BRADS like this.

I zero at 100 and if walking round open country will have 2moa on it so effectively zeroed at 200.
    This means for me if something is "close" i can get a quick rest and a shot off without thinking about it.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    100m
    I do believe that was what Thomas said at the first LR thing..... That is your datum.

Ejected
    He said start sighted in at 100.

I added that's your datum, now you being a geo will know exactly what that is.

I zero at 200 so 1.4" high at 100. Hold dead on for anything out to just over 200 and dial for anything further.

Whatever you do, you must practice and check that you can actually hit things. A rangefinder or some better method of range estimation than "well it's way over there so" is really useful as well.
    veitnamcam and Neckshot like this.

Range estimations are just that...estimates!
    Estimates are ok, but can put your bullet WAY off elevation wise past about 250 meters, depending on caliber and loading.
    A good rangefinder that gives True Ballistic Range rather than just Line Of Sight readings is just about the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion, and has helped put a lot of meat in the freezer that might otherwise not have been shot.
    I'm not just talking about long range either...there have been a few occasions that I have ranged animals where there haven't been objects to get perspective of range from, such as a featureless flat or over the opposite side of a valley or spotlighting foxes in the UK at night. On those occasions, the shot has actually been quite a bit closer than I had thought and a shot was taken that might have been passed up on otherwise.

Ejected
    Jesus Tussock, sometimes I'm amazed you hit anything! What's your scope set to now?

Ejected
    I prefer the holdover method with the 223, fuck I'd wear a scope out in a week dialling and it's way to slow for the rabbits.

Ejected
    It is. At 25 or closer hold high, if you don't you'll miss, on to about 170 then start heading up. Easy as. 250 top of ears. This is all rabbits of course.
    Same goes for wind, steady breeze on the cheek hold on that side of the rabbit but not off it. Hair not air.

Interesting thing here to, same rules for the .22 with subs but you start climbing at 50. If you have a 25 zero it's on again at 50 and is four inches low at 75. So if you zero for 75 as a lot do you'll struggle to hit anything close.

It does matter though Neckshot.

And I can also tell you my rifles are .5 inch low at 50.
    That makes sense as the projectile is still on the up at this point. My 7mm08 is about and inch low at around 25y and around 1-2" high at 100y. Seems to smoke anything I haven't missed due to poor aim lol.
    “For us hunting wasn’t a sport. It was a way to be intimate with nature, that intimacy providing us with wild unprocessed food free from pesticides and hormones and with the bonus of having been produced without the addition of great quantities of fossil fuel. . . . . . . . We lived close to the animals we ate. We knew their habits and that knowledge deepened our thanks to them and the land that made them.”
    ― Ted Kerasote, Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog