Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Shooting position

Re Holding Forend. For me thats a jury is still out decision.
    Heavy rifle possibly with a small caliber and and I believe you can get away without holding the fore end which gives you a hand free to work you rear bag.
    For me I used to shoot my 22WMR free, my lightish 358 Win lever I have to hold the forend (to control lift under recoil) and use a sling and bipod. This can make resetting the rear bag between shots problematic so I'm still working on technique and bag position.
    My #3 barreled walking Varmint 243 I'm at the cross roads between the 2 styles. Fully dressed, bolt, scope, silencer, bipod, sling, mag etc its 5.7kg
    Zq.

ps I think a lot of the previous comments re checking repeatability of position, cheek weld etc are vital
    Last edited by ZQLewis; 11-11-2018 at 09:44 AM.
    Puffin likes this.

So the cross hair is going up and down as you breathe in and out? If that’s the case that’s normal if your prone. The cross hair should line up on the target spot when at your natural pause when breathed out. Do a bit of dry fire practice.
    I just re read your post. Try less magnification and a rear bag or rolled up jacket under the butstock.

Rear bag, Rear bag, also rear bag. Most people will have a small amount of shake or vibration in their hand, particularly when clenched (muscles activated)
    Bagheera likes this.

You can leed a horse to water........
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.