Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Snipers world record kill

Yeah, well the media shouldn't glamorize any of it IMO, but then again you could argue that there's an element of human nature involved - I.e is it the media's job to dictate what we should be concerned about, or does it simply serve our pre-existing concerns/preoccupations...

Without getting too political, I think we've got to remember that it's all a matter of perspective. The subject of Good vs Evil/'inhuman' is easily blurred in the context of war and conflict, and the feelings of hate towards the enemy are mutual on either side.

I've got family in the middle east, I've also been to a few countries in the region, and from what I've gathered the issues there are so very complex. There is so much division and fluctuating tensions among people, and the wars are doing very little to alleviate it.

I can appreciate the feat in and of itself - what I cannot appreciate is the very common sense of bravado which accompanies the distribution of such info - especially among people who aren't particularly informed or sensitive. Often it turns into discussions which alienate certain cultural/religeous groups, and that only further clouds people's biases and beliefs.

With all that said...I'd gladly accept some shooting lessons off the guy. I'd do well to extend my 300 yard personal limit!
    rossi.45 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Take it from an old soldier Frodo and in my case especially.

I most certainly would not hold any of these insurgents in any higher regard than a paper target.
    And quite frankly it would be a dysfunctional/ineffective soldier that would.
    As for the military championing the action I fully support it. It builds moral for the grunts that have to do the hard yards knowing someone with those skills is watching over them allowing them to concentrate on their tasks. What the media does with the information is up to them.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    That's the thing, depending on what perspective you look at it from, there's not necessarily a right/wrong answer.
    R93 likes this.

It's a clinical act carried out for a reason
    Frodo likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    That's the thing, depending on what perspective you look at it from, there's not necessarily a right/wrong answer.
    Well said mate. I can relate to your point of view as well.

However in reality a soldier has one main purpose no matter what the political viewpoint is.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck and Frodo like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Must have been a sleeping target to stay still for 10sec

If an ambush by any military/paramilitary force is being set, that ambush could be set hours - and often days - ahead of the anticipated action, based on one's knowledge of the target's movements and the selected killing ground.
    That could possibly be one reason for the opposition being stationary for more than 10 seconds.
    Oh - as part of an officer's training in setting ambushes, the location is based on Intel from scouting, local agents and ECB (electronic code breaking).
    Mostly it's a 'gut' feeling and a combination of factors - usually a great deal of luck and a sound knowledge of the opposition's MO.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    The man was simply doing the task that he had been given and had been trained to do. We should be grateful for all of the soldiers that serve within the different nationality armed forces with which we are aligned. If confirmed this will bolster the morale of the average grunt as R93 says and it will put fear in the minds of their enemies. Two other things, the media are dickheads and from where I sit R93 is a younger old soldier.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

As Rushy has mentioned the publication would put fear in to the IS fighters. Also I wouldn't call it glamorizing the sniper for taking out the plague that is IS. They need to be eradicated, and the more this is publicized the better it is for everyone.

Here is the thing, take it for what its worth....

He wouldn’t have been aiming at the target, he would have been aiming waaaay above, like roughly 280 metres, give or take, yes 280 metres above the target, thats just elevation goodness knows what windage ….. 50s drop like a lead balloon.

Thats assuming he was using "good ammo" Amax, etc, IVI for one make some excellent match ammo.

Interesting its been released now, right before a big extreme long range shoot in the USA, The King of 2 mile.....

Bit like a pig and a poke? how many degrees of horizontal is 280metres? No wonder I cant hit rabbits at this range!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Bit like a pig and a poke? how many degrees of horizontal is 280metres? No wonder I cant hit rabbits at this range!!
    Around 275 moa

I just checked, I only have 9 seconds of flight time in my calcs not 10..... the drop just got worse....roughly 320 moa, 313 metres....

I once spoke with an old kiwi bloke who was with 2 NZEF in the desert in WW2 and his exact words still ring true today.
    son if you look at it ,the buggers were fighting when jesus roamed the place ,and theres been scraps of all sorts ever since ,and i suspect they'll still be at it long after me and YOU are long in the ground".
    furthermore a lot of this combat of course has a secondary purpose being an ongoing illegal arms super dealers supermarket and demonstration ground.
    I share rushys sentiments as a former peacetime grunt,but im also cognisant of the other side as a psych nurse forwe are starting to see severely traumatised refugees from middle eastern countries presenting for help.
    Is there an answer Ido not know.
    tetawa, 223nut and Frodo like this.

I reckon they videoed him squeezing off and then started a stopwatch. A few seconds later another sniper shot him from only 200yds and made it look like an impossibly long range kill.

Aint nobody got time for 300+m of drop. I call bullshit.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    I reckon they videoed him squeezing off and then started a stopwatch. A few seconds later another sniper shot him from only 200yds and made it look like an impossibly long range kill.

Aint nobody got time for 300+m of drop. I call bullshit.
    Something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHsGKXaJ_KA
    kiwijames likes this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Some ballpark figures : 750 with G7 of 0.37 leaving at 2900 would make for 330 MOA drop with a 200 zero and drift 27 mins in a 10mph wind at 3550yds.
    No scope/rail combo allows for that much come-up so they'd have to be aiming way above the target, ie WAG territory