Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Spend money on a spotting scope or buy a scope with higher magnification?

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    ooooh now there is a thousand dollar question...and the other end of it is just as controversial...at what point do you STOP getting any more for your dollar???
    I dont buy new....with pretty much anything sporting related...so many fellas buy,try then flick on at what is sometimes a huge loss.
    personally Im more than happy with any scope I own that has leupold printed on the side of it....I dont dial.....I dont need side focus...have one scope with parralax correction,but it normally gets chucked on hundred yards and stays there....

$500 2nd hand buys a lot of scope..... the 3x9x40 leupold freedom I bought 2nd had for ??? $350 ?? think it was is good value for money,its clear,holds its zero ...all I want,need....job done. you could go 4x14x40mm for similar money and get the higher top end for range work easy enough for similar $$$$
    I've been keeping an eye on here and big yellow for a second hand scope that would suit but haven't seen one yet. Agree re the 14x scope, would be nice to get something that goes a bit higher than my current 3-9. Reloaders looks like they have a decent selection of new scopes in the $500 - $1000 range and I've been meaning to stop in there for a visit but never seem to be going past Onehunga when they're open.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I went through the same exercises about 2 years ago, here are my thoughts on it now:

9x magnification seems to be borderline for my eyes to see bullet holes at 100m depending on the glass quality. It is doable with the likes of VX Freedom, Fullfield II and Diamondback level of quality, but 12x definitely makes it easier. However since your scope's max magnification is 9x, I wouldn't bother getting another scope. As others mentioned, the optical quality of a typical 3-12x scope deteriorates quick once you get above 10x. The extra magnification offers better ability for spotting bullet holes on the range, but is unlikely to add any value for hunting, especially during low light.

Instead of a spotting scope, I ended up spending $180 on a secondhand camera with a 40x zoom. (Canon 740HS). It was used to spot bullet holes at the range without trouble. A zoom camera has a few advantages over a spotting scope:
    1. Cheaper - To do the same job with a spotting scope you may need to spend significantly more
    2. Can track shots by taking a photo of the target after each shot
    3. Can take footage of live animals from long distances away
    4. Lighter to carry and takes less room for hunting trips

Those Nikko Stirlings that come in package deals have actually got decent optical quality in my experience.
    So I suggest keeping your setup as it is, buy a $200~$500 secondhand zoom camera, you're then covered for the range and the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    I went through the same exercises about 2 years ago, here are my thoughts on it now:

9x magnification seems to be borderline for my eyes to see bullet holes at 100m depending on the glass quality. It is doable with the likes of VX Freedom, Fullfield II and Diamondback level of quality, but 12x definitely makes it easier. However since your scope's max magnification is 9x, I wouldn't bother getting another scope. As others mentioned, the optical quality of a typical 3-12x scope deteriorates quick once you get above 10x. The extra magnification offers better ability for spotting bullet holes on the range, but is unlikely to add any value for hunting, especially during low light.

Instead of a spotting scope, I ended up spending $180 on a secondhand camera with a 40x zoom. (Canon 740HS). It was used to spot bullet holes at the range without trouble. A zoom camera has a few advantages over a spotting scope:
    1. Cheaper - To do the same job with a spotting scope you may need to spend significantly more
    2. Can track shots by taking a photo of the target after each shot
    3. Can take footage of live animals from long distances away
    4. Lighter to carry and takes less room for hunting trips

Those Nikko Stirlings that come in package deals have actually got decent optical quality in my experience.
    So I suggest keeping your setup as it is, buy a $200~$500 secondhand zoom camera, you're then covered for the range and the hills.
    You might be right about solving the problem for cheap with a camera. There's a 45x zoom camera local to me on Faceache marketplace for $80 that looks half decent. I'm not really sure what image quality is like at 100 yards but regardless it would be a relatively cheap experiment. Then I'd have more money left over for a better scope... could be good.

Agree re 9x being borderline. I can see the holes, it's just that sometimes it's difficult, especially if you hit in the dark part of the target. I don't have any experience using expensive or high quality scopes so can't comment on the difference.

I bought the 7mm-08 off a mate who replaced the scope when he sold it to me as the old one had broken. I think it was about $250 - $300. I've been more than happy with it, it even has an illuminated dot in the reticle which sounds gimmicky but so far has actually been very handy to quickly get on target in low light bush settings.
    Synthetic likes this.

Large sized splatter targets are available and make spotting bullet impacts at 300m pretty easy with a decent scope.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Name:  20210920_094503.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  3.40 MB
    6.5*55 @ 300m
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatberg View Post
    In your opinion at what price point do you exit mediocre scope territory and get to the better stuff?
    As others have said, a big can of worms here.
    In some ways I've become a complete scope snob, I always had scopes that were in the $400-$800 range but one day a buddy bought a VX6 and I have been a changed man ever since.

Personally I think $2000 is where you start getting into diminishing returns, I've been through a few different scopes in later years and don't think I'd want anything less than a VX5 these days. The glass is a notable step up from lesser scopes but more than anything else the FOV is much better than most other scopes, and the eyebox is much more forgiving (the eye/head position isn't as sensitive).

$3000+ Japanese/European glass is definitely better than what you'll find in the VX5 but the jump is not the same as going from a cheaper Vortex or VX3 to a VX5/VX6.
    After you get to VX5 level of scope you really need to want a particular set of specification or "need" better glass to warrant anything better, if you just want a SFP duplex reticle in a scope you can dial, a VX5 3-15x44 with a Firedot duplex is very very hard to beat for the money.

The most recenty scope I bought was an Athlon for well under $1000, many reviews said the glass was "clear" and it gave up nothing to higher end glass, all of which was totally not true. I'm not an optic expert by any stretch but there is a lot more to scope glass than looking through a scope for 30 seconds and thinking it looks nice.

I'm not in a position to recomend many hunting scopes as I like FFP in everything these days (which is not the norm based on most views on this forum) but if you can find a used VX5 3-15 for a good price you'll be right.
    Micky Duck and Fatberg like this.

To me a VX3 3.5-10x40 has the perfect balance between affordability, performance, reliability, ruggedness, weight and aesthetics.
    It is capable of covering such a wide variety of hunting situations, IMO it might be THE best hunting scope ever made.
    Fatberg likes this.

Agreed. That 2k-2.5k is where the scopes are so good, it can be hard to justify more. The Z5 swaro and VX5 options are fantastic.

In saying that, i run 2 x Swarovski Z8i 3.5-28x50 BT so i am crap at listening to my own advice.

Around that $1200 is a sweet spot. VX3s, Burris Signature HD, Maybe the odd Swarovski Z3
    Fatberg likes this.

I found a cheap camera on FB marketplace that has a 45x optical zoom and bought that. I haven't had a chance to test it on a target yet but from playing around with it I think it will work just fine.

More money to spend on a scope so thank you for all the suggestions.
    Synthetic likes this.

My 2c is that very few people actually use a spotting scope on the range these days . They can see their shots well enough with their telescopic sight. Its very hard to see shot holes even at 200m even with a good spotting scope. They do blend in with the aiming point even if you use a red target and when two shots touch thats difficult to be sure of too.