Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By blair993
  • 1 Post By Harryg
  • 2 Post By Stump
  • 2 Post By Hopkins
  • 1 Post By Hopkins
  • 1 Post By blair993

Thread: Is there an accessible range in the Oamaru/Timaru area?

Lightbulb Is there an accessible range in the Oamaru/Timaru area?

So being fairly new to hunting and being equally as new to the Waimate area I'm looking for a range thats not a million miles away. Looking at the NZDA branches and their nearest branch with a range is a 2+ hours (each way) drive. You'd think living on a reasonable chunk of land I could do it at home BUT I'm in that odd position of not having any direction I can safely shoot in that does not have a dwelling and I've ONE spot that has adequate backstop BUT this is audibly quite close to neighbours and even with the suppressor the .243 is just a bit too loud to be comfortable. I'm looking for somewhere that will allow me to shoot out to 100 -150/200m at most. I'm really happy with my .22 grouping but need more time behind the trigger on the .243 before I feel I can rely on my aim to take an animal nicely, I do NOT want to be responsible for maiming an animal and have it crawl off to die slowly. So, if anyone knows of a suitable range, I'd be much obliged if they could make themselves known.
    Cheers

will PM you with a few spots
    Zedrex likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

aoraki range in timaru. Sparrowhawk in albury.
    Trout and Zedrex like this.

The Oamaru rifle club might be worth a google
    Zedrex likes this.
    "you belong somewhere you feel free"-Tom Petty

Seadown shooting complex now, Saturday 1330 is open
    Micky Duck and Zedrex like this.

Is it no longer the aoraki range?

Aorangi is now Seadown. Two 100 metre ranges are being devloped but not yet certified. You will need to be a member of the Seadown Rifle Club. The Pleasant Pont Rifle Club is seeking certification for a 100 meter range. It won't be for casual individual use. You would be best to join NZDA South Canterbury or similar.
    Micky Duck and Zedrex like this.

@Hopkins so you you join SC NZDA you can use both ranges? when is the 100m range at seadown going to be ready? is the 300 still going ahead?

You will need a basic individual membeship fo the Seadown Range when it is up and running-date to be confirmed. And an additional membership for the Seadown rifle club. The complex will/has other disciplines as members. No 300m range as setting one up is too difficult. As I understand it NZDA SC intends to be part of the PP Rifle Club.
    Zedrex likes this.

Sparrowhawk looks quite the setup eh, their 2 day hunters course might be a good way for me to accelerate the learning a touch

Quote Originally Posted by Hopkins View Post
    Aorangi is now Seadown. Two 100 metre ranges are being devloped but not yet certified. You will need to be a member of the Seadown Rifle Club. The Pleasant Pont Rifle Club is seeking certification for a 100 meter range. It won't be for casual individual use. You would be best to join NZDA South Canterbury or similar.
    I'd seen Seadown was making great progress, do they have room/plans for a 200m range at all?

Quote Originally Posted by blair993 View Post
    aoraki range in timaru. Sparrowhawk in albury.
    Sparrowhawk looks quite the setup eh, their 2 day hunters course might be a good way for me to accelerate the learning a touch

Sparrowhawk is the setup. was up there for 2 days of match shooting in the weekend. We had some new shooters come along that will hopefully be doing the course soon.
    Zedrex likes this.