Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Tikka 3 lite 270

Quote Originally Posted by Jackangus View Post
    Sorry guys, I meant 3.7 inches at 200m, and 1.4 inches at 100m.
    Was expecting to be within 2 inches at 200m.
    Read this http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...-inches-17463/

And agree with all of @ebf 's posts, go back and read them again. There are other better options for LR and definitely for target stuff. But don't freak out just yet - you'll be able to do all that stuff with your .270. Agreed about the factory ammo stuff. Recently I have seen a few .270s and 7mm08s getting poor groups with factory, cheap ammo.

You get what you pay for I guess! Keep shooting with your .22 as well and maybe chuck on double ear protection when you take your .270 out (ear plugs AND ear muffs), dry fire it as many times as you like and take a buddy who shoots well to give you some tips. Maybe even get him/her to take a video of your body while you shoot. Can really be an eye opener.

Good luck and have fun - hope the bruising goes down quick
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Looks like I made quite a big mistake on buying this rifle.
    I'll buy it off you for $500.
    Welcome to Sako club.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Shooting stuff at 1000 yards is dumb.
    @Shearer, mate ! That just hurt my feelings

I LIVE for shooting "stuff" out to 1000yds (and beyond....guess we are talking crazy then not just plain dumb ?)

Gongs, targets I shoot em all. Animal retrieval at 1k is a different story....
    Blaser, Dougie and Matt2308 like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Will a suppressor make a difference in the recoil?

Suppressor or limbsaver and try hornady ssts through it

Yes a suppressor will help with recoil and hopefully site picture when hunting I would put a limb saver as. Well I know a guy who shoots. T3in .270 small chap shot more deer ,tahr,chamois with that calibre that u can imagine it will be fine

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Will a suppressor make a difference in the recoil?
    It most certainly will and that in turn may help your grouping
    Do what the lads say and get a decent recoil pad fitted, and try the ammo again [ after the shoulder settles down].

Use plugs or earmuffs or both when if your not alread when your on the range, believe me it helps.

As a rule neither the 270 or the Tikka are inherently inaccurate so if it doesn't shoot with that particular ammo I reckon it will with something else.
    I've occasionally found a stainless barrel can sometimes take awhile to settle and what is a 1.4 group today straight from the box with out any mods could easily become sub moa after 60-100 rds and a bit of tinkering :ie your supressor and a recoil pad.
    Be patient and work through it.
    The joys of a brand new rifle mate.
    Dougie, Boulderman and Danny like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Are Normandy ssts accurate rounds or do they help with recoil too?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    It most certainly will and that in turn may help your grouping
    Do what the lads say and get a decent recoil pad fitted, and try the ammo again [ after the shoulder settles down].

As a rule neither the 270 or the Tikka are inherently inaccurate so if it doesn't shoot with that particular ammo I reckon it will with something else.
    I've occasionally found a stainless barrel can sometimes take awhile to settle and what is a 1.4 group today straight from the box with out any mods could easily become sub moa after 60-100 rds and a bit of tinkering :ie your supressor and a recoil pad.
    Be patient and work through it.
    The joys of a brand new rifle mate.
    I will go get a limb saver tomorrow and find out where I can get the barrel threaded, and than get a suppressor. The sales guy said for a good suppressor it would be $600. Was hoping not to have to go down that route this early, just cause money reasons, but if it helps with the shoulder I will pay it.
    I am quite surprised of the kick it has. If I was firing a few rounds that would be fine, but as a target shooter to sit and fire between 20 and 40 rounds in one sitting, I would not want to do that.

You have made me feel a bit better Jake, I was really thinking I had made a really big mistake.
    I think get the recoil sorted then concentrate on a few different ammos and try to tighten up those groups.

Seem to be a accurate round but not all barrels are the same and results can differ . Just about the only way you will reduce recoil is a muzzle brake or suppressor and a limb saver to dampen the recoil on the shoulder

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Thats the ticket mate
    Re you supressor, you could talk with one of the advertisers above, DPT, see how much he would charge for a supressor fitted, I think you'll find he'll be quite competitive
    http://www.dpt.co.nz/
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

A suppressor won't be 600
    The DPT ones are good - these are 300
    Centerfire duralium muzzle forward modular 223wssm, 30/06 - DPT Machinists

I don't have any connection with them except having bought one and wouldn't be without it now

@ 18 and almost full size I was more comfy firing a 270 than the 303 due to stock shape and recoil etc. That dirty old lee kicked like a .... what have you used and what are you used to? You shouldnt have a blue shoulder from factory ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmynostars View Post
    @ 18 and almost full size I was more comfy firing a 270 than the 303 due to stock shape and recoil etc. That dirty old lee kicked like a .... what have you used and what are you used to? You shouldnt have a blue shoulder from factory ammo
    5.56 in the army 14 years ago. Just bought a .22 a few months ago but nothing in between.
    I am a big guy, 98kg, and that's not fat either, and ex army heavyweight boxer back in the day, so no stranger to pain.
    So I feel like a big pussy whinging about the kick of a rifle.
    I think maybe the 4th shot really cracked me one, would have been me not holding the rifle properly, cause the first few weren't that painful but after about the 4th shot it was pretty shit, I was dreading every shot after that to be honest.
    Which of course probably would have affected my groupings.

Jeebus, I couldn't crack 80kg till I stopped physical activity for a few years (now i'm mid 80's). Not to be harsh but sounds like a flinch, always thought of them like a good nudge more than a sharp belt. Are you using 130s or 150s as this will affect it.