Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Tikka 3 lite 270

ebf
    Lee, MOA guarantees mean just about nothing... It is a sales gimmick...

With almost any manufacturing process, there are variances. Every single rifle chamber is slightly different. If you add to that mix some factory ammo that has not been tuned for that particular chamber, and a shooter who may or may not be using optimal technique, expecting the rifle to be accurate to the mythical sub MOA level is not exactly realistic.

I could give someone a finely tuned target rifle and some custom hand loads that I know are perfect for that rifle, and if the shooter is having a bad day, they could still struggle to hit a 3 inch disc at 100yds...

On the flip side I can take an old clunker that most folks will tell you is a piece of shit, and fairly easily turn it into a decent rifle just by spending a bit of time on the crown and working up a good hand load for it.
    Dougie, mikee and Nick-D like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post

With almost any manufacturing process, there are variances. Every single rifle chamber is slightly different. If you add to that mix some factory ammo that has not been tuned for that particular chamber, and a shooter who may or may not be using optimal technique, expecting the rifle to be accurate to the mythical sub MOA level is not exactly realistic.

I could give someone a finely tuned target rifle and some custom hand loads that I know are perfect for that rifle, and if the shooter is having a bad day, they could still struggle to hit a 3 inch disc at 100yds...

On the flip side I can take an old clunker that most folks will tell you is a piece of shit, and fairly easily turn it into a decent rifle just by spending a bit of time on the crown and working up a good hand load for it.
    Generally though, Tikkas are accurate rifles. I don't agree it's a gimmick, there must be some substance to the Tikka, and Sako, 3 and 5 shot Guarantee or people could return them for failing to live up to that part of the guarantee.
    I am not saying for a second there isn't bad ones that come out the box, but in general they seem to live up to what they say.

The felt recoil from tikka t3s have been an ongoing complaint the recoil pad if you can call it that is just a thin bit of rubber over a thick chunk of plastic all you need to do to tame it is add a limbsaver pad as others have suggested and put a suppressor on it, my remington 700 in 270 has a bit of a kick to it but I can shoot that rifle for long periods and not get a hiding like you have described from it and my 16 year old boy who has the build of a broomstick can handle firing it.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by Jackangus View Post
    Generally though, Tikkas are accurate rifles. I don't agree it's a gimmick, there must be some substance to the Tikka, and Sako, 3 and 5 shot Guarantee or people could return them for failing to live up to that part of the guarantee.
    I am not saying for a second there isn't bad ones that come out the box, but in general they seem to live up to what they say.
    Your flinching and your ammo may not suited. Dont blame the rifle
    veitnamcam and kiwijames like this.

He isn't blaming the rifle everyone else is.
    Danny likes this.

I must be reading the first post wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I must be reading the first post wrong.
    I must be too especially when he said it wasted his shoulder
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by Jackangus View Post
    Even without breaking in the Tikka, it comes with a MOA guarantee anyway, so should fire right out of the box under MOA. And like I said before it is the recoil that pissed me off the most not the groupings, and breaking the rifle in will do sweet fuck all for that.
    I did say it was crazy of me to buy the 270, but we all get sucked into buying something that isn't quite right at some time or other.
    The MOA guarantee will be for the rifle, not the shooter...jam it in a vice and it will probably meet guarantee specifications.
    Park the rifle up until your shoulder has healed as you wont be doing yourself any favours shooting with bruising.
    veitnamcam, Blaser, Dougie and 1 others like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    I must be too especially when he said it wasted his shoulder
    Obviously I am not blaming the rifle for bruising my shoulder, that will be my technique. I'm sure most people who are not used to that caliber rifle were to sit there and fire 20 odd shots in 30 mins would probably complain of a bit of pain afterwards.

I've used a .270 successfully to shoot gongs out too 600 yards and deer to 400 yards. If I read it right you purchased a a .270 for target shooting, I'm not sure any people use .270 for targeting shooting; for hunting they are great.
    The sales man was right the .270 is better suited for long range shooting than the .308 but many people have shot at 1000 yards with a .308, modern dial up optics mean that range is not so much of a issue now - but you need to know what you are doing...

The latest two issues of NZ Hunter had two articles on the .270, you might find that interesting.

I've got two Tikkas now and had one in .270wsm, they all shot three shot groups under an inch, sometimes better. The .270wsm and .308 have Limbsavers.

Did you ask for a target rifle for 1000y shooting specifically? or was there mention of hunting?

Because a 3 second google will show you the difference between a dedicated range/target rifle and a hunting rifle.

If you specifically asked for a target rifle for 1000y take it back and demand a full refund, however if there was mention of hunting then the salesman probably quite rightly recommended a good hunting rifle capable of shooting targets at 1000y(and pretty much any calibre is capable of that even if the calibre could be bettered )
    Tuidog, Dougie, Danny and 2 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Gidday Jackangus

You've had a bit of stick on this thread, and kept your good humour - so good on you, there are some ignorant buggers here, some no better than the salesman who let you get away with the rifle. And remember generally at least half of what you read on the internet is bullshit, this forum is no better (or worse !!).

If you can't get your money back/exchange it one thing you could do if you are mostly target shooting is drop it into a target style stock, the Tikka stocks are all pretty much interchangeable, and there are some really excellent ones out there for a Tikka - your 270 in a target stock will become manageable, if not a pussy-cat - and you should be able shoot it a lot better. But before you do that make sure you go to a range a few times and have a yarn to some of the guys doing what you'd like to do.

Best o'luck
    Tuidog, Danny and Shamus like this.

R93
    If you don't have any luck at the shop, send it to me and I will do the load development for nothing.
    I have a selection of muzzle breaks and can give you one of those as well. I no longer need them.
    Got one that should fit the contour of a factory Tikka nicely.

One of my best cobbers has a T3 lite in 7mm mag he uses as a guide rifle. Shoots mint and my 12 yr old son can shoot it with a suppressor.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    If you don't have any luck at the shop, send it to me and I will do the load development for nothing.
    I have a selection of muzzle breaks and can give you one of those as well. I no longer need them.
    Got one that should fit the contour of a factory Tikka nicely.
    Good luck.
    One of my best cobbers has a T3 in 7mm mag he uses as a guide rifle. Shoots mint and my 12 yr old son can shoot it with a suppressor.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Good on ya man

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post

This is the best advise I have read so far.

While the rifle(s) today are generally MOA capable while a lot of shooters (myself included on a bad day)

As others have stated If you specifically asked for a rifle suitable for "Target Shooting to 100om" then you might have some comeback on the salesman. If you mentioned hunting them maybe not as 270 is a good hunting round.
    Now I would suspect if you claim that the rifle is not MOA the store will test fire it with 3-4 brands of ammo and results most likely will be MOA or less. You might even get billed for the ammo if it performs as stated as I understand this is becoming common practice more and more
    Dougie likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.