Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By omark
  • 2 Post By johnd

Thread: Tokoroa VS Tech Park range

Walking my rifle

Tokoroa VS Tech Park range

Hi guys

With my time being consumed by life i find it a bit harder to travel out to the private block where i always go shooting. So living and working between Hamilton and Tauranga i think might be time to join a range, mostly for load testing, .22 with the boy over weekends etc. so 100m will suffice as the private block i can do the longer ranges at, however a shooting range with longer distances would be preferred. ideally something that you can do some training/paperwork and come and go as you please within reason.

Anyhow, what are your experiences with Tech Park or Tokoroa ranges? I don't think I've ever been at either, what are the costs, how is access etc.? and are there any other potentially longer/better ranges you would recommend. I don't really shoot out past 1000y anymore, most of my rifles top out around 700y now.

I was a NZDA Rotorua member for years, that range is great, but about same drive as the private block so looking for something closer.

Cheers
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

TECT park is great. 300m max. There is plan for longer but still being worked on.

Walking my rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by tibo View Post
    TECT park is great. 300m max. There is plan for longer but still being worked on.
    How is access? can you get a key and come as you please? Idea is that if its that one i can go after work on week days
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieZAR View Post
    How is access? can you get a key and come as you please? Idea is that if its that one i can go after work on week days
    Yes you can get a key all info here:
    https://deerstalkersbop.org.nz/wp-co...-Info-Pack.pdf
    https://deerstalkersbop.org.nz/range...e-information/

TECT Park BoP Branch NZDA range is good, good facilities and pretty much a secure area. Weather can be a bitch as it's higher than you'd expect elevation wise, I have seen snow there but other than that it is very good. You need to be a member, purchase a range ticket and then complete 3 range inductions to get your own access fob. It's not too much of an issue to complete - although at least one induction I believe must be completed on a public open day so you are used to the 'formal' range operation procedures. The remaining inductions can be completed by a NRO-qualified Range Officer at any other time that works.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    TECT Park BoP Branch NZDA range is good, good facilities and pretty much a secure area. Weather can be a bitch as it's higher than you'd expect elevation wise, I have seen snow there but other than that it is very good. You need to be a member, purchase a range ticket and then complete 3 range inductions to get your own access fob. It's not too much of an issue to complete - although at least one induction I believe must be completed on a public open day so you are used to the 'formal' range operation procedures. The remaining inductions can be completed by a NRO-qualified Range Officer at any other time that works.
    I think it is now only one session with a NRO. From the website: only one of your practical shoots can be a private range session and it can not be your first one

Greetings,
    An interesting read, especially the costs. It reinforces what I have believed for some time that "A small number of people have about zero chance of building a decent range let alone maintain it". This is not a popular opinion.
    GPM.

Mmm, it's all covered in tibo's link to the official docs except I'm not sure about the one induction completed on a public open day.

Mmm, it's all covered in tibo's link to the official docs except I'm not sure about the one induction completed on a public open day.
    Wish I lived closure to either of the facilities.

Prospective range users must be a current financial member of the club before they can purchase a range
    ticket. Part of the process to obtain a range ticket includes attending an induction course and participating in
    at lease three shoots under the control of a Nationally Qualified Range Officer before they are allowed to use
    the range for their personal use.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post

Prospective range users must be a current financial member of the club before they can purchase a range
    ticket. Part of the process to obtain a range ticket includes attending an induction course and participating in
    at lease three shoots under the control of a Nationally Qualified Range Officer before they are allowed to use
    Inductions are held at the public open day on the last weekend of the month and at the Tauranga Precision rifle assn and Nzda club shoot which is on the third Saturday.

The facilities are first class. You must complete your 3 inductions before you get a fob key.
    zimmer likes this.

Yep that would be right - two inductions are public days and one can be a private. They are quite keen to have people aware of how the formal days are run, as the same rules apply if you are at the range privately but a couple of others are already there with regard to control of the shooting and ensuring the range is at safe for checking targets etc. The rules on the inductions recently tightened up a touch, partially due to the new rules...

Pushing my own boat here.
    What about the Te Puke rifle club? We shoot most Saturdays through September to May. 300 500 and 600 yards, we have a 100 yard zero in range.
    We shoot on electronic targets so no having to go forward to check shots (no down time). We cater to hunters within the club with shorter strings of fire. Also cater to PRS style rifles as well as Target type rifles.
    Non members can shoot for $20 range fee. That's for the whole day including coaching to get you on target. Be prepared to fire as many rounds as you want.

Edit...re read your needs, our club operates on a private farm and is only available on Saturdays so may not be what you desire.
    Travel wise it's about the same for me to get to TECT as to get to Te Puke rifle club. I live Bethlehem side of Tauranga.
    Last edited by johnd; 15-11-2023 at 08:11 PM.
    mikee and Steelo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post

Yep - there were a few in the past who did the three inductions with a nationally qualified RO but privately and not on the open days. The decision was to ensure the prospective ticket holders all did public days just so they are aware of the open day procedures which does make sense. It can be a pain especially for those that work on Sundays but there is a definite benefit to the current process.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Pushing my own boat here.
    What about the Te Puke rifle club? We shoot most Saturdays through September to May. 300 500 and 600 yards, we have a 100 yard zero in range.
    We shoot on electronic targets so no having to go forward to check shots (no down time). We cater to hunters within the club with shorter strings of fire. Also cater to PRS style rifles as well as Target type rifles.
    Non members can shoot for $20 range fee. That's for the whole day including coaching to get you on target. Be prepared to fire as many rounds as you want.
    Yep, nice option too. Little bit further to go from that side of the Kaimais though but you do get 5 and 600 yds...