Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Using iron sights

Yes but we all missed it but there were some bloody huge craters all around it though. When the target is less than half the width of the front post there is always going to be an element of guesstimation involved.
    Just get an iron sighted 22 and shoot shoot shoot. Shoot at different ranges learn holdovers and layoffs using the width of the front post.
    Most old farts of my generation learnt on single shot 22s with open sights and Ive started sons and grandsons the same way.
    ebf, Moa Hunter, WallyR and 1 others like this.

I resemble that remark!!!!
    Marty Henry and Moa Hunter like this.

Bus driver
    Practice...practice....practice.....

Put some Skinners on my 45/70.....much better than the ones the rifle came with.....pleasantly surprised at the groupings Im getting..........practice!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    My first experience with irons was awesome. managed to pop a few goats and pigs.

I have had to replace that rifle and got a gevarm E1. haven't managed to find any scope rings online so will be using irons.

Any tips for using them to their max capabilities? I mostly just lined them up. focussed on the front post and send it.

cheers
    ebf, WallyR and Russian 22. like this.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Yes but we all missed it but there were some bloody huge craters all around it though. When the target is less than half the width of the front post there is always going to be an element of guesstimation involved.
    Just get an iron sighted 22 and shoot shoot shoot. Shoot at different ranges learn holdovers and layoffs using the width of the front post.
    Most old farts of my generation learnt on single shot 22s with open sights and Ive started sons and grandsons the same way.
    Good advice, recently got a JW 25A, and am reliving my childhood learning to shoot iron sights again... its actually addictively fun.
    WallyR likes this.

As much as I like scopes, one day i'm going to do an open sighted (maybe peep) bush gun based on a old no1 303-ala lee speed. Nice smooth lines and a 5 shot mag.
    I also loved to shoot my mag feed Gamo air rifle with the big chunky square open sights.
    Painted the front sight white with tippex.
    Accurate little bugger-very surprising how far away I could hit the end of a fruit tin frequently even at a measly 500ish fps.
    way way past 25m and probably nudging past fiddy.
    In the old home with a bloody long section-never thought to pace it out.
    Even my little rossi 357 was quick to shoot with the opens.
    If I didn't have that OEG red dot for years and finally got it together it would've stayed that way

Going to range on Saturday as I also want to get handy with my iron sights also , will test at 50 M and 100M or 25M if I can get on the paper at 50 M..... would you use your benchrest set up for this with rear bag etc off a bench to actually try and get as accurate understanding as possible of how they shoot ? this Might simulate a longer shot with rifle laying over your day bag ? What’s the way to go here folks ...?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    Going to range on Saturday as I also want to get handy with my iron sights also , will test at 50 M and 100M or 25M if I can get on the paper at 50 M..... would you use your benchrest set up for this with rear bag etc off a bench to actually try and get as accurate understanding as possible of how they shoot ? this Might simulate a longer shot with rifle laying over your day bag ? What’s the way to go here folks ...?
    If you're at the range then may as well try and use what you have to shoot the best groups. That way in the field where accuracy is never the same you can be confident that it'll do the business

agree ....you get as steady as you can no matter the sight system.

Roger that , will post my results after range session

I shot 2 groups of 3 at 50M and 100M , it’s shooting a bit to the left but I can live with that , it’s well under minute of deer for accuracy , next target will have 4 legs ....
    Name:  F5F45531-F62E-4974-B618-A940DB57A748.jpeg
Views: 227
Size:  580.5 KBName:  E5A6927B-7082-4FBC-A2A5-4145319B4F56.jpeg
Views: 207
Size:  533.7 KBName:  3DF09C6C-A644-40DA-9862-97BE10CFC68F.jpeg
Views: 221
Size:  634.9 KBName:  4F0E920A-E860-4791-999E-86C070EFEC51.jpeg
Views: 200
Size:  580.4 KB

Is either front or rear sight in a dovetail? Mark it with a white dot, or scribe line and smack it over with a hammer/punch. easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms View Post
    Is either front or rear sight in a dovetail? Mark it with a white dot, or scribe line and smack it over with a hammer/punch. easy peasy.
    A little bit of a movement makes a big difference too!

Nope they are solid front and rear , yes rear sight in dovetail so yes I could knock it over but it won’t need to move much , shame it’s got no windage adjustment in rear sight one of my other rifles does so might give that a try sometime .

Not bad groups with the open sights mate, I will quite often remove my scope so I can shoot with irons. If you do decide to drift your sights across use a brass punch so it doesnt marr the metal work.
    tetawa and RUMPY like this.

shots are to left..so rear to right thats great shooting.
    tetawa, WallyR and Lucky like this.