Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: What caliber?

Quote Originally Posted by Toby132 View Post
    does it have anything over the rem mag?
    Nice and efficient goes well in short barrels and fits in a short action or tikka properly,

700m.... What are you looking at shooting? Please say it's Taliban?

Ethics are personal but 700 on anything outside a warzone is a bit much in my mind.

Can and should are different beasts.

Sorry to be a dick but that's a long fu.... way. If gong shooting then hey, go hard.
    Moa Hunter and Toby132 like this.

You can happily shoot a 5.5 - 6lb rifle in 284 or SAUM, bit more challenging with RM.

I would prefer the 7mmRem mag but the 7mm Weatherby mag or 270 Weatherby mag could also be worth a look. Rem mag is the easiest of the ones mentioned to find brass and ammo for which is a big up for a lot of people. Rock into any / most ammo shops and there will be something there.

Short n fat is where its at....300wsm
    mikee likes this.

Suggest you try shooting the different options suggested before laying out $. If you were up my way you’d be welcome to shoot most of above mentioned
    Moa Hunter likes this.

@Dundee his .22
    Moa Hunter and Flyblown like this.

Well you can choose your calibre (7mm, .308 etc) and then select a cartridge (7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag etc) in that calibre....

Just to be a fussy git.

Your 6.5 Creedmoor will kill things at 700m without too much difficulty assuming you use a 147gr ELD-M for example.

But a magnum chambering is a better bet cos that’s what they are for.

What I always say (preach / rant / go on and on as my kids would say) is to be very very careful when stepping up to the magnums and pointing it at far away animals. It takes a lot of practice to learn how to shoot them accurately if you’ve only been using a low recoil cartridge like the Creedmoor.

Lots of things go wrong if you’re not used to recoil. Even the best and most experienced shooters of non-magnums can develop a flinch with a magnum. Its not a question of how manly you are, just a human reaction. You’ll need to burn a lot of ammo to test yourself at 700m+ with a magnum, to learn the drops, the windage.

The 7mm Rem Mag is a bankable cartridge. A world class winner. So is the .300 Win Mag. The WSMs are worth a look. The .270 WSM is often overlooked. I’d be all over a .300 WSM too. A 28 Nosler would be drool material but a bit of a hard to find wildcard.

But I’d want to know I had somewhere to go shoot it a lot before I went hunting with it. Easier said than done for many of us.

Ask yourself why so many low-round-count magnums are for sale.
    chainsaw, Dorkus and Mathias like this.

My .30/06 with 167 grain Lapua Scenars goes really well to 1,000 metres plus. I run a 26" barrel with AR2213SC for 2950 fps and 0.5 MOA. I have also just got a .338 LM (Savage Stealth) for longer ranges but still in the load development stage.
    trooper90 likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Heard of suppressors? Dock 2-4", add a suppressor, recover the lost velocity through hand loading.
    Sorry mate couldn't hear what you said ?
    Tahr likes this.

1000 + is far

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I would prefer the 7mmRem mag but the 7mm Weatherby mag or 270 Weatherby mag could also be worth a look. Rem mag is the easiest of the ones mentioned to find brass and ammo for which is a big up for a lot of people. Rock into any / most ammo shops and there will be something there.
    I wouldnt think a short barrel would give the increase in speed would be worth all that xtra powder

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

I dont handload for the creedmoor yet but would handload if I got another rifle. At the moment we put 143 grain eld x through it and get .8 of an inch at 100 meters. Its a 20 inch barrel so im going to assume the bullets are going very slow. Anyway 7 rem mag does appeal to me but id have to shoot one first to see what iv got to deal with. Theres a club down here called the Taranaki long range shooters, so I might have to go and ask nicely if there is one there. I think they shoot gongs out to 1000+ there as well. Range isn't a problem. I can shoot out to 500 meters on my property and then there is the club which I might join.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby132 View Post
    I dont handload for the creedmoor yet but would handload if I got another rifle. At the moment we put 143 grain eld x through it and get .8 of an inch at 100 meters. Its a 20 inch barrel so im going to assume the bullets are going very slow. Anyway 7 rem mag does appeal to me but id have to shoot one first to see what iv got to deal with. Theres a club down here called the Taranaki long range shooters, so I might have to go and ask nicely if there is one there. I think they shoot gongs out to 1000+ there as well. Range isn't a problem. I can shoot out to 500 meters on my property and then there is the club which I might join.
    Join up to that club mate awesome bunch of guys contact Graham Bishop a lot of them shoot 6.5 Creedmore as well as 7mmRem mag I shoot .260 and 7mmsaum.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    duckdog and Toby132 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Well you can choose your calibre (7mm, .308 etc) and then select a cartridge (7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag etc) in that calibre....

Just to be a fussy git.

Your 6.5 Creedmoor will kill things at 700m without too much difficulty assuming you use a 147gr ELD-M for example.

But a magnum chambering is a better bet cos that’s what they are for.

What I always say (preach / rant / go on and on as my kids would say) is to be very very careful when stepping up to the magnums and pointing it at far away animals. It takes a lot of practice to learn how to shoot them accurately if you’ve only been using a low recoil cartridge like the Creedmoor.

Lots of things go wrong if you’re not used to recoil. Even the best and most experienced shooters of non-magnums can develop a flinch with a magnum. Its not a question of how manly you are, just a human reaction. You’ll need to burn a lot of ammo to test yourself at 700m+ with a magnum, to learn the drops, the windage.

The 7mm Rem Mag is a bankable cartridge. A world class winner. So is the .300 Win Mag. The WSMs are worth a look. The .270 WSM is often overlooked. I’d be all over a .300 WSM too. A 28 Nosler would be drool material but a bit of a hard to find wildcard.

But I’d want to know I had somewhere to go shoot it a lot before I went hunting with it. Easier said than done for many of us.

Ask yourself why so many low-round-count magnums are for sale.
    There's lots of low round count Magnum's for sale cos the throats been worn smooth lol

professional spooker