Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What's the Deal?

Case length is about the same. i don't have a a way of accurately measuring the shoulder. The 30 cal hole of my hex comparator doesn't fit over fired case necks. I'll see if I can jammy something up to measure it. It is the shoulder length you're referring to right?

No copper fouling either
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

L.R
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    We're talking a 22" .260 here though, not 12”....

But on the subject,

Tussock cut his 6.5x47 from 26" to 22" with loss of 10fps. His load of 42gr was exactly the same as mine (my load development initially consisted of pinching ammo from his shed when I was in a hurry) and doing about 2fps different average out of my 20” to his 22”

We got nearly 2900fps from a 20" barrelled BSA 6.5x55 back in 2009 with N560 when we got snowed in and had nothing better to do, without any real pressure signs

Norway has a 18.5" 6.5-284 and enjoys it - although he is very conservative with his loading compared to all of us.
    Ok Gimp, you must have stumbled on a secret that no one else has ever discovered. I wonder why we all walk around with these long barrels then? We must all be stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R View Post
    Ok Gimp, you must have stumbled on a secret that no one else has ever discovered. I wonder why we all walk around with these long barrels then? We must all be stupid.
    I don't understand what you think is so shocking about a 20-22 inch barrel? Yes you get more speed from a longer barrel. Yes the returns are diminishing the longer you go. Yes long barrels are a pain and I don't like them and don't give a damn about the theoretical 50fps I'm missing out on. Longest I have on anything is 20" and I definitely haven't noticed any downside at all.

It's not particularly crazy to expect Normie to be able get 2700-2800 fps from a 22" barrel with what is widely considered the optimum powder for the cartridge when a heap of people are reporting doing just that, when I'm doing it with a 2" shorter barrel and a smaller case, and when he is getting that with a different powder?

Gimp misinterpretation of poi isn't a lie its an error but I sure you know what I was referring to.

Id check the imputs and shoot some groups on paper at range.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

I get an average of 2712fps from a 22" MAB barrel with 43gr AR2209 and the 140gr Hornady SST's. I very much doubt 1gr drop in powder and a slightly different bullet would make 200fps difference. Check your inputs

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Gimp misinterpretation of poi isn't a lie its an error but I sure you know what I was referring to.

Id check the imputs and shoot some groups on paper at range.
    I was using 'lie' as a figure of speech, as in your results can appear different to what they really are. Not meant to be negative on you or anyone else. Just be careful to log and watch the trends before coming to too much of a conclusion about things

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    I get an average of 2712fps from a 22" MAB barrel with 43gr AR2209 and the 140gr Hornady SST's. I very much doubt 1gr drop in powder and a slightly different bullet would make 200fps difference. Check your inputs
    Thats what i get with my 6.5x55 t3 44gn 2209 140g amax. Its accurate to the click out to 700m but i haven't yet tested further. Good to see this is a typical result then

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Shooting Chrony f1 (oh no!)
    Shooting Chrony is not bad, it's just that they are light dependant and reading will vary with the light.

Build yourself a short barreled 6.5x284 and see how it goes, they are fucken useless!
    Short barreled 6,5x284 out to 1150 meters, 20" and not 18,5" as Gimp said.

You'll get:
    A compact rifle that let's you react fast enough to make use of the shooting opportunities.
    Reduced velocity and reduced supersonic reach.
    For all practical purposes, no change in wind drift.
    scott85 likes this.

L.R
    May as well have a 260. Same velocity for less powder burnt. Short barrel rifles are great, I have several, however there is no denying you lose velocity with them, I don't buy this shit about only loosing 10 fps by cutting 6" off a barrel.

No you lose 30 msec doing that.

No you lose approximately 30 msec doing that.
    To stay within sane pressures, I think it would be difficult to bring a 260 up to 830 msec in a 20".

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    Thats what i get with my 6.5x55 t3 44gn 2209 140g amax. Its accurate to the click out to 700m but i haven't yet tested further. Good to see this is a typical result then
    That's interesting as I get average of 2709 with my sako x55 with the same bullet using 46grn of the same powder.
    Perhaps I'd better chrony it again.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

May as well have a 260. Same velocity for less powder burnt. Short barrel rifles are great, I have several, however there is no denying you lose velocity with them, I don't buy this shit about only loosing 10 fps by cutting 6" off a barrel.
    1: it was 4"

2: a single 6.5x47 specifically, check with Tussock if you like but that's what he got, it is unusual but there it is. I'm not saying that you can go cut a 7mm Rem mag down and it'll get faster or something stupid. Just that a lot of the time the benefits of a short barrel outweigh the downsides for an actual practical rifle

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    That's interesting as I get average of 2709 with my sako x55 with the same bullet using 46grn of the same powder.
    Perhaps I'd better chrony it again.
    Different rifles, brass, primers, can do that