Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Wobbly William

Wobbly William

Hello lads ,
    I need to work on my aim when sighting up a target in my scope.
    What do you lads do to keep your target steady in your scope. Im keen to hear about your breathing techniques and how you keep everything steady till you squeeze the trigger.

Any exercises you do to help with this or is it all practice practice practice.

I have been shooting for awhile and its hasn't improved much, so any help is welcomed.

Thanks.
    Patience Is A Virtue

What position or positions are you shooting from?

Thanks @Phil_H . any advice is good advice as far as I can tell , I actually am shooting with a heavy air rifle already. A .22 cometa fusion which I carry on a sling. it has a awesome trigger . I also need to work on not jerking the trigger but practice makes perfect.

I am hunting rabbits fairly close range bout 30m , in standing postion. I am a o.k shot prone and kneeling.
    A little bout me , I have been shooting with this gun for a while now and normally can nail rabbits fairly well , but I wanted to soak up some knowledge of the real hunters on here to see if I could add it too my experience and up my numbers of rabbits I get on the family farm.

So like I said any Advice/knowledge/tips are welocome !
    Patience Is A Virtue

Any rest is better than no rest so always get a rest if at all possible, otherwise if shooting off hand is the only option wraping the sling around your left arm(if shooting right handed) to tighten up and brace your hold can really help and taking a quick shot rather than takeing ages and getting more and more wobbly.
    Bol Tackshin and outlander like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

as above.....also vary elbow width...eg from tucked in to out like a seagull...somewhere in there you will find a happy medium.... a long stick helps no end,hold it in left hand along with forestock.that will steady you up more than any other single thing...also use scope on lowest power setting.lots easier to shoot offhand on 3x than on 6x. wobbles look less.

yeah Im trying not to get to the stage where I need to lean on every fence post to take a shot . Although I do sometimes do this if its a long shot.

I used to have my elbow out like a wing and I have changed it to quite tightly tucked in. I will try not having it tucked in so tight if that makes sense. I was finding I was hold the air rifle too loosely and it was sending my grouping all over the place so I tightened it up ( my elbow) . The Artillery hold is hard to conquer.!
    Patience Is A Virtue

You must always remember to hold your tongue just right too!
    veitnamcam, gonebush and Jusepy like this.

Make yourself a pair of quad sticks. Will make standing shots a lot steadier. I made mine from 2.5m(?) bamboo from mitre 10.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8L2Kgmvs_PY
    Hewie and MB like this.

ebf
    solid rests (front and rear)
    dry fire (get some snap caps if you are concerned about the firing pin)

for off-hand try the following:

either use an "olympic" style position. and this is going to sound weird, but turn your feet in slightly and "grip" with your toes

or start below the target, move the rifle up smoothly, and as soon as the crosshair is on the bottom of the target, pull the trigger smoothly. keep moving the rifle in a follow-thru, don't stop as soon as you pull the trigger. similar to what you do for shotgun / clays
    Jusepy likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Old but still valid
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Jusepy, for standing shots 'snap shooting' out to 30 odd meters try lining the target up at the very top of vertical post of the reticle, above the crosshair.
    Gently raise the point of aim and touch off the trigger as the crosshair rises through the target, a slight pause once on target even.

As said any rest is better thank no rest, but the above technique can be surprisingly repeatable off hand with a bit of practice.
    Gibo and Steve123 like this.

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  9.1 KB

Try this as suggested above.

Put your arm through the sling and push your elbow out to pull tension on it.

Keep in mind that the standing position is the shakiest and will take lots of time and practice to become proficient in. This practice is well worth it.

If you have a tennis ball lying around, try practicing on that, at about 10m. Once you can hit it consistently, move it out to 15m and so on.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

A wee trick taught to me was, when you are aiming and get the wobbles, turn the wobbles into a circle then at the bottom of the wee circle of aim come up onto centre of the target gently and shoot.
    rewa and Jusepy like this.
    Ya can't park there mate.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Make yourself a pair of quad sticks. Will make standing shots a lot steadier. I made mine from 2.5m(?) bamboo from mitre 10.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8L2Kgmvs_PY
    +1

Where I shoot rabbits, I don't always want to get down on the ground, plus the grass is often too long. I can hit pine cones at 100m off the sticks (22LR). Happy with that!
    Steve123, rewa and Jusepy like this.

Visualise a dot or aim point where you want to hit and consentrate on that as you sight up. To have a smaller aim point should be more accurate than just aiming at a shoulder area for instance.