Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree25Likes
  • 24 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By Tentman

Thread: Young Fella's "home on the range"

Young Fella's "home on the range"

Sam txted - I'm coming down . . . Which really meant "can I do some shooting?"

Now Sam doesn't ask for much, he's nearly 14 and has only recently had his Dad come back into his life, so he's had a bit of a hard row. The fact that he is such a nice kid is a total credit to his mother.

Anyhoo our club was having one of our "PRS" shoots, such as we can stage, being limited to fixed ranges I.e no dialing within a stage. Today's shoot captain called for a hunting scenarios so prone with bipod but no bags, then off a quad without any support/accessories, over a fence etc.

Sam and I rolled up to find a half dozen blokes and two other young guys, Riley about 9 or 10 and Josh, maybe 15 and Bob, 87 I think, but in any case an old boy!

I had Sam lined up to shoot the Contender 223, a accurate and safe rifle for a boy. The variable cross wind was obviously going to be a challenge for all shooters, but particularly the guys shooting "small guns" like 223's, Grendel, 6BR.

Sorry there are no photo's or scores but after a shaky start (due to the wind calls he was getting) Sam cleaned the second stage. Not too bad for a kid who only shoots very occasionally.

Needless to say he went back to Mum as pleased as punch, and I'd say Josh and Riley were just as happy with thier days shooting too.

The point being it doesn't take much to make a kid happy so don't overthink it, just get them out shooting!
    jakewire, Tahr, madjon_ and 21 others like this.

great effort all involved....thats the future of our sport right there.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

He's a good kid @Tentman remember what I said make it happen next winter

Good on you T man for putting the effort into this young fella. I think that if a few more people helped out like you are there might not be so many young people in trouble with the law at the moment

Hey @Padox I haven't forgotten the offer but our house build problems just didn't allow me to get away last winter . . . Cheers
    Padox likes this.