Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree28Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 4 Post By Tedz50
  • 4 Post By dannyb
  • 5 Post By BMcB
  • 6 Post By 7mm Rem Mag
  • 4 Post By Trout
  • 4 Post By timattalon

Thread: Zero my gun

Zero my gun

Hi All

Is anyone in the Christchurch area able to check the zero on my new gun please?

TIA

thats a weird request..... what is it??? do you want it boresighted or fired into paper at hundred yards/meters???
    do you want to fire it yourself,get someone else to do it???
    do you want someone with a bit of experience and somewhere to do it...to show you what you need to do for future reference???
    I seem to recall comment re rivers to ridges fella doing this for folks.. @dannyb is that correct??
    SAUM likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    thats a weird request..... what is it??? do you want it boresighted or fired into paper at hundred yards/meters???
    do you want someone with a bit of experience and somewhere to do it...to show you what you need to do for future reference???
    I seem to recall comment re rivers to ridges fella doing this for folks.. @dannyb is that correct??

There is a bit more to it. I have just bought it and it came with homeloads. I haven't really got the time to go through the process of joining Handloaders Club before I want to see if it's up to scratch or not as a few issues have been flagged with it.

So I am not a member of any club or have land to shoot over so I am in a bit of a squeeze

I can either do it myself or someone else with experience would not go amiss

PM me or @flock who has also made an offer to help out access to a range.
    Trout, Micky Duck, flock and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Rivers to ranges offer a sight in service for a fee, however my understanding is they won't shoot handloads as it's too risky trusting unknown handloads (cold be wrong and happy to be corrected)
    Trout, zimmer, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Come down to the public range night at the NZHA range. 597 Mcleans Island Rd. Tuesdays 7pm. $25 in range fees and the R.O's will sort you out with advice. If the rifle isn't currently sighted in it can be bore sighted with a collimater then get you on paper at 25m them 100m.

Huk
    Good man @BMcB thats a great offer

I would be concerned about firing someone elses handloads without knowing whats in them.

Maybe start with some factory loads for initial sight in and pull the handloads down
    Trout, zimmer, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Buy a pkt of good ammo and be nice to the range officer on Tuesday night.He will help you get on paper at 25yds,50yds and zero at a hundy.Go hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by BMcB View Post
    Come down to the public range night at the NZHA range. 597 Mcleans Island Rd. Tuesdays 7pm. $25 in range fees and the R.O's will sort you out with advice. If the rifle isn't currently sighted in it can be bore sighted with a collimater then get you on paper at 25m them 100m.
    This is exactly what I was going to suggest...And while you are there, you could think about starting the membership process.
    Trout, Micky Duck, dannyb and 1 others like this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

I agree with the suggestion of buying a box of factory ammunition for initial sighting in. Safety first!
    Take the the all handloads with you to the range. Find an experienced reloaded to examine the handloads for you. Work with that experienced reloader to pull a couple of projectiles. Inspect whether they are compressed loads? Weigh the powder charge and compare to reloading manual recommendations for your caliber. Measure and compare COL (Cartridge Overall Length) and case length to Maximum Cartridge Length and Trim Length. Also check to see if the case has been crimped onto the projectile - this can increase pressure to unacceptable (dangerous) limits. Saety first, proceed with caution!

TRUE STORY: In my recent search for 22 Hornet once fired brass, I wound up with a small quantity of live handloads which were loaded with Nosler 45grn orange tip projectiles which were crimped tightly. the powder charge was compressed, (powder not known) and weighed out at any maximum in the Reloading Bibles, and the COL (Cartridge overall Length) was longer than what can fit into the magazine. Probably these hand been maximum loaded, for single top loading, for killing cardboard at massive velocities, not for hunting. I dismantles and ditched the whole lot, after manually discharging the the primer with a fine nail punch and hammer. There was no way I would risk firing those rounds in my Weihrauch, not worth the risk.

The handloaders club has public shoots on Tuesday nights

STC
    Personally I would only shoot handloads from people I trust. everything else should be pulled.

If shooting them on a range I reckon only if its not too busy and you can keep a safe distance to other shooters.

A kentucky ballistics is not just dangerous for the numptie causing it.

Range regulations will be relaxed, lets not fuck it up by injuring someone due to stupidity/lack of safety precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by SAUM View Post
    There is a bit more to it. I have just bought it and it came with homeloads. I haven't really got the time to go through the process of joining Handloaders Club before I want to see if it's up to scratch or not as a few issues have been flagged with it.

So I am not a member of any club or have land to shoot over so I am in a bit of a squeeze

I can either do it myself or someone else with experience would not go amiss
    Id have thought try before you buy may have been prudent and alos the vendor giving you the specifics of these handloads