Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Hello from indiana

Hello from indiana

I am a 38 year old hunter from the state of Indiana in the United States. I do backpacking hunts in the Rockies at least every other year so I have a little experience in the mountains alone. Im planning a trip to New Zealand in June of 2023 to do some hunting and sight seeing with the family for at least 3 weeks. A gentleman on Accuratereloading forum highly recomended I come here.

Plan is to hunt for the first week on the south island for Tahr (was planning DIY but the folks on Accuratereloading seemed to think that might not be a good idea?) then just drive around and site see for the remainder of the trip splitting out time after the hunt between the south and north island. I definitely plan on seeing some of the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit stuff!

Any recommendations would be very appriciated, from clothes and gear to outfitter if that's what's necessary. I will be traveling with my wife and two daughters age 13 and 9, so any recomendations for stuff they would enjoy as well!

If there is a better spot to put this let me know and I'll move it there.
    Shearer and caberslash like this.

Hey welcome. I’ll let you know in a bit the pros and cons of the visitors FAL.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Welcome,
    No reason not to DIY hunt with enough research and preparation, plenty of good advice to be had here.
    My only advice is depending upon which part of the Rockies you’ve hunted is; NZ winter is humid cold compared to parts of North America where it’s certainly colder, but much much lower humidity.
    Your gear choice may need to reflect this.

Welcome aboard!
    Now comes the long list of parts etc wanted from the USA!
    I can kick it off if you like!?
    Use enough gun

I have just hunted sections of the Rockies from Colorado up into lower Montana. Never been really humid there like it is here in Indiana. I mostly run synthetic clothing with merino wool socks/underwear. I do run a down western mountaineering bag which might be an issue? What’s your suggestion for gear?

Sorry 40mm but I’m not sure I understand? Parts you want or???

And thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to the forum
    There will shortly be a loooooong list of gear for you to consider on this thread I would think

yeah 40mm means bits you can carry over for him
    Just a bit of gentle ribbing to start with mate

Good wind/ water proof jacket
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Welcome. Tahr like to live in some unforgiving mountainous country and June is winter here with snow well down. The weather will be your worst enemy so prepare accordingly. I would recommend a guided hunt.
    Trout, 7mmwsm and Finnwolf like this.

Ahhh, got ya! I’m not sure about New Zealand but stuff is pretty dang tough to get here right now as well. I feel like I’ll never see a good supply of primers again. Not opposed to helping get some people stuff they need as well if I can

Thanks for the warnings and info so far. I need to obviously do some more research and figure out the best direction to go for this hunt. Everything about New Zealand looks beautiful to me and intrigues the heck out of me! Like I said I’m not opposed to a guide but have no desire to do any kind of canned hunt that doesn’t require effort. A hunt that doesn’t require effort and some challenges is easily forgotten and just not what I’m into.

I can commit to 7 full days hunting just don’t want to go over that and take away from family time doing other things. Doubt my wife and daughters would be interested in suffering with me on the mountain. Certainly not for everyone

Most of my gear I’m comfortable with in wet environments except the sleeping bag, I would want to switch to synthetic for that just so I don’t have to stress over the constant moisture.

My primary tent is a Dan durstin x-mid 2p.
    Anyone run that tent there? Issues or concerns?

How about crampons/ice axe? Necessary or just silly?

Could I get by with just my standard trecking poles and micro spikes?

welcome. remember nz is the literal 4 seasons in one day!
    lots of layered clothing is the big one, it can be bloody cold to sweaty hot in no time. good boots and a reliable plb is a no brainer

The southern Alps in Winter, absolutely necessary I would think. If you are used to snow/Ice and steep mountains you will be fine, but the weather can change in very short order and catch even the most experienced hunter/mountaineer out.

Quote Originally Posted by left hunter View Post
    Ahhh, got ya! I’m not sure about New Zealand but stuff is pretty dang tough to get here right now as well. I feel like I’ll never see a good supply of primers again. Not opposed to helping get some people stuff they need as well if I can

Thanks for the warnings and info so far. I need to obviously do some more research and figure out the best direction to go for this hunt. Everything about New Zealand looks beautiful to me and intrigues the heck out of me! Like I said I’m not opposed to a guide but have no desire to do any kind of canned hunt that doesn’t require effort. A hunt that doesn’t require effort and some challenges is easily forgotten and just not what I’m into.

I can commit to 7 full days hunting just don’t want to go over that and take away from family time doing other things. Doubt my wife and daughters would be interested in suffering with me on the mountain. Certainly not for everyone

Most of my gear I’m comfortable with in wet environments except the sleeping bag, I would want to switch to synthetic for that just so I don’t have to stress over the constant moisture.

My primary tent is a Dan durstin x-mid 2p.
    Anyone run that tent there? Issues or concerns?

How about crampons/ice axe? Necessary or just silly?

Could I get by with just my standard trecking poles and micro spikes?
    Trout likes this.

Welcome, my US friends jokingly call this Nambi Pambiland, because we have no dangerous game. And I always tell them the only thing that can get you here is the environment.
    I too would recommend getting a guide for that once in a lifetime hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Welcome, my US friends jokingly call this Nambi Pambiland, because we have no dangerous game. And I always tell them the only thing that can get you here is the environment.
    I too would recommend getting a guide for that once in a lifetime hunt.
    And sandfly Those tiny stuff in West coast will take care visitors well. You mates feel just itching, one of my friend had bitten in her first trip on legs and arms, and then when she went back home country, the suffering last for six months with cost of hospital bill.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Winter time chasing tahr in June hmmm.Get a guide,save you a lot of time.The hills and mountains down here are not a friendly place to be chaseing tahr in winter.
    XR500 likes this.