Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Hello from Survy

Hello all, been reading a lot of good stuff on these forums thought it was time to sign up.
    I have been shooting for last 5 years since getting my licence, mainly go for small varmints.

My first .22 was a Norinco jw-15 have moved onto Marlin 925R, and most recently have purchased
    Marlin 917VR which left me with smiles after seeing what they do to bunnies and magpies.

I get to shoot on my wife's cousins farm south of Te Kuiti, it's a bit of a drive down from Auckland but the views and lack of cellphone coverage is worth it, there is a good mixture of critters to go for, peacocks, turkeys, rabbits, most recently I started targeting magpies they are tricky birds !!!

Am keen to learn more and get to know the members.

Keep safe

Aaron aka Survy
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome Survy. I hope you enjoy the forum. The trick with Magpies is to injure the first one and that will encourage the others to stay as they will attack it. That way you will get more than just the first one.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Welcome survey..... South of Te Kuiti???? There must be a few deer close by... any bush on the farm??

@Rushy thank you, I noticed the country magpies are different to the city ones, they fly off when they see you in the distance, I managed to bag 4 out of a family of 5 near the woodshed where I was under it out of the sun and could sneak over to the trees to pop them out of it but they were clean kills I was hoping to injure one and wait, it's definitely on my books to keep on to them I hate them along with feral cats, could be decoy time or trap time.

@twoshotkill, no bush on the farm that would support a deer, there are deer farms down the road and the odd stag has been seen around coming from afar to check the ladies out but like possums in that area I have yet to see one.

Welcome to the forums Aaron

Re: Hello from Survy

Welcome Aaron

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Another young huntress
    Welcome Survy

Hey Survy mate, do you eat the turkeys you shoot? I've herd the ones that roam farms are rubbish but it wasnt a reliable source.

I see them around from time to time but never with gun in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by big_foot View Post
    Hey Survy mate, do you eat the turkeys you shoot? I've herd the ones that roam farms are rubbish but it wasnt a reliable source.

I see them around from time to time but never with gun in hand.
    Funny you say that, I am keen as mustard to cook one up, but no one down on the farm would allow me to use the oven, i was told by the lady of the house, Not in my oven your not, same goes with peacocks.
    However I have been told in winter they are crap cause they feed on bugs, in summer with fresh grass they should be good, and to go for the young ones or else you get the tough ones.
    I have never plucked a bird or gutted it, so that is a hold back I guess but am keen to learn and put a couple of turkey drum sticks in.
    I only got back yesterday from a trip down, and I could easily say I saw over 40 turkeys around the paddocks I went into.
    Hope that helps.

Believe it not guys but peacocks are fuking good. Turkeys depend on time of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Believe it not guys but peacocks are fuking good. Turkeys depend on time of the year.
    Hiya Toby, have ya cooked one up ? Peacock I mean was it good. Anything disease wise you have to watch out for ?

Im not sure have shot them on the mates place. His dads 50th I went up there.and it was allready cooked so I just ate it. Its pretty good.

Welcome to 'the site' Survy, glad to see your helping to clean up NZ......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt