Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BR46
  • 2 Post By BR46

Thread: Hey

Hey

Hey just signed up, got my license at the ripe age of 48 as was looking for a new sport.
    Was a 19 month process with covid delays and changing regulations - almost lost interest but have it now so will give it a crack.
    Only really interested in target shooting, after a bit of online research I'm pretty keen on a ruger 10/22 to start off with for a bit of fun. About half the people I've spoken to have said don't get a semi auto as your first firearm and the other half say get whatever the hell you want as long as you're responsible with it!
    Happy to listen to any advice though.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Welcome aboard

Welcome to the forum.
    If you are interested in target shooting I would suggest you try something other than a 10/22 as they can need a bit of work to get "good" accuracy out of. Of course buy what you like. I have a few 10/22s and while they are hunting accurate, my brno model 2 can punch paper better

Thanks, yeah I figured if I get more seriously into target shooting I'd need to spend some big bucks to get something specific.
    So thought maybe the 10/22 as it seems universally liked for a bit of fun, has a good reputation and pretty good resale value if I decide its not for me.
    rugerman likes this.

yeah they are a bit of fun, especially if you hang up bottles of water or little wood blocks and you can ping them off pretty quick.

Heading out to the local range tomorrow and someone's gonna give me a run down and a try a few of their rifles. So that should gibe me more idea what I want.
    rugerman and chindit like this.

Thats the way. Lots of try before you buy then see

Put about 50 rounds through a ruger bolt action, still want the semi auto!

If ya happy with the accuracy of the semi then go for it

MB
    If you're dead set on a 10/22, have a look at the Competition model. More dollars, but it may satisfy a craving for accuracy which a lot of us develop!

Hi. Really, 19 months to get the license? well.......that `s the longest one I ever knew. My application in 2018 was about two months plus in Akl. a friend in Queenstown waited for 7 months in 2012. Years back, I was thinking about a 10/22 takedown, but after consideration of why I need it, where and how I am gonna to use it, I gave up.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.