Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi all

Hi all

Raised in sunny Nelson. Grew up hunting deer with the uncle and grandad in Maruia. Target practice was hares and possums and fitness was running the hills chasing pigs and a ton of sports.

Studied exercise science and sport management up in Wellington before I got bored of that and decided the to have a go at living a nomadic lifestyle - booked a one way ticket to Canada and two nights worth of accommodation. Hitchhiked for 15 months through Canada and America, hiking the mountains, sleeping on couches, school fields and parks. Made my way from Vancouver on the lower West coast up to the Arctic circle for hunting and Aurora Borealis and then took off all the way across to little old St John's, Newfoundland on the far far east coast. Winter probably wasn't the greatest time of year to hitchhike in Canada with temperatures reaching -53c.

Did a fair bit chainsaw work while in Canada in exchange for hunting trips. Got out and hunted Moose, black bear, Dall sheep, Cariboo and Bison. All of this was done in the ranges bordering on Alaska in Yukon Territory. Felt like I'd overstayed my welcome and took off down south again.

Moved on to work for a couple months on a Bison farm in Manitoba in -40C Cry

After that silly decision I decided I'd go on a ridiculous winter hitchhiking trip to the crazy French part of Canada and get up to mischief before I ran out of money and headed even further east. Explored for another couple of months before I got bored and headed into America (Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion) for a month before I did a stint in Vegas and came home.

Back in NZ now, I've moved down to Christchurch and got a job working as a Youth Coordinator for 180 Degrees Trust. Taking young at risk teens out into the local ranges on hiking/mountain biking/kayaking adventures with an aim of turning their lives around, getting off drugs and out of court.

Got my firearms licence, a decent truck, a couple .22s and an old single barrel shotty. Still waiting on purchasing a centrefire, will probably go with a t3 stainless synthetic chambered in .243. Have done very little hunting solo so would absolutely love the opportunity to head out with some guys with experience in the area.

Cheers

sturg4
    Hi sambnz, Welcome to the forum. There are some good bastards on here. I am sure you will have no trouble linking up with like minds in your area.

Scribe

Welcome back and welcome to the forum.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Welcome
    Sounds like you have had a lot of fun

Ejected
    What an adventure!

Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by sambnz View Post
    Raised in sunny Nelson. Grew up hunting deer with the uncle and grandad in Maruia. Target practice was hares and possums and fitness was running the hills chasing pigs and a ton of sports.

Studied exercise science and sport management up in Wellington before I got bored of that and decided the to have a go at living a nomadic lifestyle - booked a one way ticket to Canada and two nights worth of accommodation. Hitchhiked for 15 months through Canada and America, hiking the mountains, sleeping on couches, school fields and parks. Made my way from Vancouver on the lower West coast up to the Arctic circle for hunting and Aurora Borealis and then took off all the way across to little old St John's, Newfoundland on the far far east coast. Winter probably wasn't the greatest time of year to hitchhike in Canada with temperatures reaching -53c.

Did a fair bit chainsaw work while in Canada in exchange for hunting trips. Got out and hunted Moose, black bear, Dall sheep, Cariboo and Bison. All of this was done in the ranges bordering on Alaska in Yukon Territory. Felt like I'd overstayed my welcome and took off down south again.

Moved on to work for a couple months on a Bison farm in Manitoba in -40C Cry

After that silly decision I decided I'd go on a ridiculous winter hitchhiking trip to the crazy French part of Canada and get up to mischief before I ran out of money and headed even further east. Explored for another couple of months before I got bored and headed into America (Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion) for a month before I did a stint in Vegas and came home.

Back in NZ now, I've moved down to Christchurch and got a job working as a Youth Coordinator for 180 Degrees Trust. Taking young at risk teens out into the local ranges on hiking/mountain biking/kayaking adventures with an aim of turning their lives around, getting off drugs and out of court.

Got my firearms licence, a decent truck, a couple .22s and an old single barrel shotty. Still waiting on purchasing a centrefire, will probably go with a t3 stainless synthetic chambered in .243. Have done very little hunting solo so would absolutely love the opportunity to head out with some guys with experience in the area.

Cheers
    Morning sambnz
    You cant go wrong with this forum, Tonnes of neat guys and girls willing to help keen hunters out. Would love to see some pictures from your hunting trips as for me its on the bucket list to do Canada and Alaska. cheers

Great intro sambnz, like your style mate, done a bit of the same (but you've done shit loads more by the sound of it!!!) welcome to the forum mate, you will right in with your spirit of adventure....

would love to hear some of your 'yarns' around a campfire with a cold one (or two) sometime...

good work helping out youths....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Oh yeah, nearly forgot....spray paint you bolt & mag 'blaze orange'.........(forum joke)
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt