Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: hi there

oh wow, did not expect this to explode

308 is good, have nothing against that, but 7mm08 seems a bit lighter with a bit flatter trajectory with slightly less of a kick. I've shot both, I prefer 7-08.
    223 is too light, I'm sorry, I'm not that good with getting that close to a deer I like shooting a 223, but not hunting with it - too loud for small game, too small for large game. If I wanted to go light I would have gone .243win.

Quote Originally Posted by anothermous View Post
    Hi
    Jack here, from Christchurch.
    Not sure what to say except that I'm new to all this. Quite busy at work (IT) so not too many free weekends.
    22LR and 12ga (and probably 7mm08 planned), I like rabbit hunting (for stew and dog food) but don't know anyone with land to hunt on, so usually just go and take very long walks around DOC-managed land. I'm not very good at it though, I suppose
    Anyways.
    Would be keen to learn and partner up with some people that know what they're doing. Would be keen to go deer hunting but not even sure where to start (and borrow a centerfire from.
    I only hunt what I can eat.
    My understanding is that DOC become very grumpy if they find a 12g or 22LR on their hallowed terrain.

oh wow, did not expect this to explode

308 is good, have nothing against that, but 7mm08 seems a bit lighter with a bit flatter trajectory with slightly less of a kick. I've shot both, I prefer 7-08.
    223 is too light, I'm sorry, I'm not that good with getting that close to a deer I like shooting a 223, but not hunting with it - too loud for small game, too small for large game. If I wanted to go light I would have gone .243win.
    Get a 30 06. Superformance ammo in that cal is not too far off winmag performance.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Steve123; 17-06-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    My understanding is that DOC become very grumpy if they find a 12g or 22LR on their hallowed terrain.
    That is why I have small game permits from for several areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Get a 30 06. Superformance ammo in that cal is not too far off winmag performance.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    Funny you should mention that, the most awesome gun I ever shot was a 30-06 Enfield with iron sights.
    Steve123 likes this.

Gidday
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Funny you should mention that, the most awesome gun I ever shot was a 30-06 Enfield with iron sights.
    A M1917 Enfield? I've got one and love it.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Welcome along.
    Don’t be surprised at anything you post going way off track and you’ll be fine, it happens a lot round here
    anothermous likes this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

NEO
    Hi
    Jack here, from Christchurch.
    Not sure what to say except that I'm new to all this. Quite busy at work (IT) so not too many free weekends.
    22LR and 12ga (and probably 7mm08 planned), I like rabbit hunting (for stew and dog food) but don't know anyone with land to hunt on, so usually just go and take very long walks around DOC-managed land. I'm not very good at it though, I suppose
    Anyways.
    Would be keen to learn and partner up with some people that know what they're doing. Would be keen to go deer hunting but not even sure where to start (and borrow a centerfire from.
    I only hunt what I can eat.
    Hi
    We are from same background IT. I am moving back to CHCH and I like small games as well. Rabbits is my favorite, stew with goose or smoke it, eat as snack. So far I am still choosing a good caliber for little bit long range about 200 yards for rabbit hunt. 223 is good but just like that mate said, it is too loud. 22lr, at 100 yards in a windy day?
    Also, the cost of ammo is a matter since I will shoot a lot. so, still 223 is on the top list. Anyway, hopefully we can team up someday.

Don't mean to 'hi Jack' your thread, but welcome mate. And .308 is the bees knees.

Hi Neo, wind might be a problem for a 22 but otherwise cheap supersonic Federal 36 grain performs very well at 100-150m and will cost you 10-12 cents per shot.
    for 200 yards maybe a 17HMR then? Buy a Sako Quad and you will have a variety of choices

NEO
    Hi Neo, wind might be a problem for a 22 but otherwise cheap supersonic Federal 36 grain performs very well at 100-150m and will cost you 10-12 cents per shot.
    for 200 yards maybe a 17HMR then? Buy a Sako Quad and you will have a variety of choices
    Thanks for the advice. Cheers
    Lone Hunter

Ended up getting a 7mm08.
    Anyone from South Island keen for a day/weekend trip some time in december / early january? Haven't dealt with a big game yet, so need a patient partner to learn the ropes...

Ended up getting a 7mm08.
    Anyone from South Island keen for a day/weekend trip some time in december / early january? Haven't dealt with a big game yet, so need a patient partner to learn the ropes...
    Have you been able to spend much time on the range getting your rifle sorted? And perhaps more importantly getting you completely familiar and competent with your new rifle from both a safety and accuracy point of view? Have you joined the Deerstalkers or Handloaders Club for range access?

Any particular reason you have to wait until December or January to go hunting?

My hunting buddy and I have spent quite a few hours walking DOC land looking for wallabies. It gives you more opportunities at shots in the field, often from less than ideal positions. It has been very useful - we've both got better at moving around broken uneven terrain. I think we've also managed to complete a wide variety of the possible ways to fall on your arse (knees, hips, etc).

Give it a go. At worst you spend a nice day in the hills. At best you might see a pig or deer that you end up tipping over ��
    mimms2 likes this.

I am going to spend some time at the handloaders range with it, not expecting issues getting it sighted. Currently I am still waiting for parts to complete the build and will get it cerakoted.
    Waiting for december because by then I will have completed the build, sighted it, familiarized myself with it, and will have a few weekends available to go outdoors.
    Good point about looking for wallabies, I will most certainly start doing that. Fully expecting to keep learning the falling-on-my-arse, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    Have you been able to spend much time on the range getting your rifle sorted? And perhaps more importantly getting you completely familiar and competent with your new rifle from both a safety and accuracy point of view? Have you joined the Deerstalkers or Handloaders Club for range access?

Any particular reason you have to wait until December or January to go hunting?

My hunting buddy and I have spent quite a few hours walking DOC land looking for wallabies. It gives you more opportunities at shots in the field, often from less than ideal positions. It has been very useful - we've both got better at moving around broken uneven terrain. I think we've also managed to complete a wide variety of the possible ways to fall on your arse (knees, hips, etc).

Give it a go. At worst you spend a nice day in the hills. At best you might see a pig or deer that you end up tipping over ��