Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: kaweka hunting

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Petree

Come Join the Napier Deerstalkers .... lots of friendly hunters there to talk to.

NZDA Napier | NZDA Napier

Meetings are at the club rooms in thorne place onekawa last Monday of each Month At 7:30pm.

Cheers
    Pete
    Or you could try NZDA Hastings first Wed of every month.

I'm off for a goat recce tomorrow just south of the Rimutaka hill, near Cross Creek. From a phone call while both looking at google maps, my hunting bud down south reckons there might be some prime country for the things.

Fingers crossed, apparently goats are good for newbies as they hang around in big ugly mobs and are pretty slow on the uptake. A bit like soldiers really....
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

hey ther dougie ,yer i have a place here in hb that we can go shoot a few goats i take by friends ther ,they get a bit bord walking around the kawekas with out seeing or shooting anything

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I'm off for a goat recce tomorrow just south of the Rimutaka hill, near Cross Creek. From a phone call while both looking at google maps, my hunting bud down south reckons there might be some prime country for the things.

Fingers crossed, apparently goats are good for newbies as they hang around in big ugly mobs and are pretty slow on the uptake. A bit like soldiers really....
    Yes and no, Dougie...depends on how hard they are hammered in the locale...can be really spooked...good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by petree View Post
    hey ther dougie ,yer i have a place here in hb that we can go shoot a few goats i take by friends ther ,they get a bit bord walking around the kawekas with out seeing or shooting anything
    you lucky bugger i have been lookingg for goats out my way but they a bit thin on the ground up here now

Sweet, sounds good. I've done a few weeks up in the Kaimanawa ranges with the army, got spooked by a few pigs out in the dark and even saw a kiwi!!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Yes and no, Dougie...depends on how hard they are hammered in the locale...can be really spooked...good luck...
    Cheers EBs, I'll probably just look for sign to see if anything even exsists up there, I'm taking the boy too so no doubt he'd scare anything off. I'm trying to teach him to be a bit more stealthy and not just chase stuff!

yer you get a permit for some doc land and they are every where 3,or 4 spots ,if ur ever up this way i can take you

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    James

Try this spot in the Kawekas mate.

39°16'57.83"S
    176°22'45.57"E

Awesome place for Newbies like you to start your hunting career.
    Easy carry out too.

Let us know how you get on.

Probably the co-ordinates of your local MAD BUTCHER SHOP.

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post

Probably the co-ordinates of your local MAD BUTCHER SHOP.
    SHHHHH man! that's my secret possie! and the coords are more like: 39°29'32.97"S 176°54'37.10"E

I managed to see a few goats today, up close and personal!

did ya shoot snything?what was the weather like rained all day here in the bay

did ya shoot snything?what was the weather like rained all day here in the bay
    Didn't take a boom stick, check out my novel in Magazine section

Caretaker
    Picked up petree this morning to check out some Sika habitat. He was buzzing from his first Sika kill yesterday but thats his story to tell.

The weather looked great on the way up, 6-12deg celcius for the day and no wind. A dusting of snow in the hills making the place eerily quiet. A walk with Binos out gave us a good look around and before we knew it midday arrived. An apple and some Le Snacks disappeared and it was time to move on. After checking more Sika sidling tracks to feed faces it was time to burn some powder.

Sitting in behind the binos i pointed to a small orange clay clearing waaaaay up the hill (1020yrds), there was/is a small white rock just left of its centre (you could not see it with the unaided eye) I casually mentioned it was petrees turn to shoot and got that "WTF" look

In behind the Nightforce he settled, getting the eye relief just right petree adjusted the parallax and putting some shoulder into it the 6oz trigger got the usual dry firing treatment. Making sure the crosshair never left the 4 inch rock when the sear dropped i started inputting data to "Bulletflight".

1018yrds, 12deg C, 27.90 InHG, 19.9 deg shot angle, I let the slight R to L air current cancel out the spindrift.

Petree was comfortable behind the rifle and had bunched my pack up with his left hand making a super stable rear rest under the stock, a couple more dry fires and he was ready.

I stood 10ft behind him and called out "ready". Watching the pressure trail i saw a hole appear in the orange clay 2 to 3 inches above the 4 inch rock, impressive shooting. He had never shot the rifle before or at that distance, had it been a deer we would have it hanging in the chiller.

Sleety showers slowed the late afternoon down but with 5 Sika seen for the day who can complain !!!!
    veitnamcam, Dougie and petree like this.

R93
    Good stuff fellas!. I take it, petree got a jap on an earlier outing? Well done. I am looking forward to getting back up that way and some old haunts myself. Ya better have more than an apple and a le snack in your bag as well.
    I can get quite hungry watching everyone else do all the work