Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Newbie from Dunedin

Quote Originally Posted by Vault View Post
    Dont think i cam pm yet or dont know how to either yet
    I haven't tried it before either, but i've just sent you an email through your profile.
    No worries if you don't feel like answering questions though!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharki View Post
    Having been shooting a 270
    K98 Mauser as my 1st rifle at age 11, I don't really understand the recoil issue, im nog big bloke , tall and skinny, proper posture , firm shoulder Weld
    Love 270 even shot cape Buffalo and hippo with it
    @norwhal got a u beaut deal on one 2nd hand
    Suppress it if u have to
    Nothing in this country or oz ubwint kill with it
    Thanks for the feedback, sounds like I'll be just fine from when you and everyone else is saying..

I haven't been able to find the user "@norwhal" with the search function?
    Can you maybe check if the spelling is right, or link me the profile? Very keen to hear more about said deal

Hey mate i’m a newbie aswell. earlier this year bought an old 270, took a punt at buying a cheap old rifle. it was unsuppressed and the recoil pad was non existent. that thing kicked pretty hard, was manageable but not a great rifle to start with having only shot a 22lr which i bough a few months before that. have recently bought a suppressed sauer 100xt chambered in 270w aswell. honestly a dream to shoot compared to the last 270. first time shooting it spent the day at the range and to start off was shooting 2-3inch groups at 100m which was average as i knew it was capable of sub moa from the last owner showing me what he could do. started getting better and was shooting 1 - 1.5 inch groups by the end of the day so was pretty happy with that considering my limited shooting experience. but yea recoil is sweet with the suppressor. had a few shots taking the suppressor off to try it out and the difference was as you’d expect, manageable but definitely felt.

Sorry m8 that's noswal @Noswal

Hey @Sander
    Welcome aboard. I have a Marlin 270 that might suit you. I’m in Geraldine and you’re welcome to check it out and perhaps shoot a few other calibers if you want to get an idea of recoil. Suppressing a rifle is always a good option, both for your hearing and comfortable shooting. Get in touch if you’re interested

Quote Originally Posted by Sander View Post
    Hi mate,

Good to know you didn't have much trouble with it.. I imagine the old husky was a fair bit heavier than a modern light mountain rifle, limiting felt recoil, but i don't imagine you would have had a suppressor on it 30 years ago, so it might be somewhat similar at the end of the day!

Yeah Dunedin is a beautiful area for sure!
    I have had a couple of scouting trips into the Silverpeaks and have some ideas of where i might find animals, but haven't seen anything but sign yet.

Great tip getting in touch with some farmers too. I did already plan to get a .22LR to do some rabbiting on farms (for free), but knowing they might also have a couple of deer to get rid of is only a bonus!

If you don't mind, would you want to have a little chat about hunting the Silverpeaks? feel free to send me a PM if you want to!

Thanks for the tips!
    Sorry about late reply, got your email, PM sent