Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By rickard1
  • 1 Post By rickard1
  • 1 Post By mudgripz
  • 1 Post By rickard1

Thread: Newbie looking for Toz

Newbie looking for Toz

Hi guys, just signed up tonight,transfering over from the old fishnhunt site. ATM looking for a decent Toz 99 or 78.overseas sites say they are good. When they were brand new I could not afford one; now, after three years of hospital treatment and legs still iffy I bloody will afford one. I see one or two oldies like me around still, was sorry to see Neil Hayes passed away last year, an old competitor from IUT pistol days. Looking forward to good kiwi humour here, a change from crap TV these days.

Wayne
    Bol Tackshin and RUMPY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rickard1 View Post
    Hi guys, just signed up tonight,transfering over from the old fishnhunt site. ATM looking for a decent Toz 99 or 78.overseas sites say they are good. When they were brand new I could not afford one; now, after three years of hospital treatment and legs still iffy I bloody will afford one. I see one or two oldies like me around still, was sorry to see Neil Hayes passed away last year, an old competitor from IUT pistol days. Looking forward to good kiwi humour here, a change from crap TV these days.

Wayne
    I know where there are a few new Toz 99s. Personally I like them, but semi auto is not my cup of tea. PM me if you cannot find a 2nd hand one (could be challenging as I only sold a few ....) Price has not changed in 12 years...I like that you can remove the action and clean the barrel like a bolt action without special tools (Only tool needed is a 22lr round) and without taking the action out of the stock. Only downside is the dovetail is metric so you cannot use expensive imperial (normal) 22 rings....

If you prefer Bolt action, keep an eye out for Winchestor Wildcat (BA) as they are rebranded Toz 78. The semi auto Wildcat is not a toz and is very 'plastic'....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Hi Timattalon, You are exactly the person I was hoping to connect to. Was trying to get Gary's number but I know you are more" hands on" his stuff.Some time ago, he impressed me with a story about a professional shooter who had bought an auto and brought it in for "checking/cleaning" after 60,000 rounds. Gary was mighty impressed that it had fared so well. And that impressed me. I have a pile o .22s and some good autos but reliability does not feature so great in them, hence the Toz. I have an extremely good Toz free pistol that has very hard and tough steel and is absolutely reliable (unlike the Hammerli equiv) So.......what is your price for a new 99 with its four mags. You may phone me 3559647

I remember range/field testing both the Toz model 78 and 99 for Gary just prior to Chch quakes. Model 78 ideal little bolt action 22LR for NZ conditions - esp with 4 mags then. Around 0.7" at 50m from memory but thought there was more to come.. 99 quite good but not quite as accurate.

A new 99 from Tim and Gary at 12 year old prices will be interesting way to go. Say hello to Gary for me Tim - we lost a good gunsmith when the quake wrecked Talon Arms

Mike Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    I remember range/field testing both the Toz model 78 and 99 for Gary just prior to Chch quakes. Model 78 ideal little bolt action 22LR for NZ conditions - esp with 4 mags then. Around 0.7" at 50m from memory but thought there was more to come.. 99 quite good but not quite as accurate.

A new 99 from Tim and Gary at 12 year old prices will be interesting way to go. Say hello to Gary for me Tim - we lost a good gunsmith when the quake wrecked Talon Arms

Mike Anderson
    Hi Mudgrips, you are the other guy I would like to meet--have read most of your listings on various forums. Have often toyed with the idea of buying a Marlin 60 based on your enthuse for the gun. You would be the biggest researcher of the .22 in nz I reckon.
    andyanimal31 likes this.

Hmmm.. I have thought recently it might be good to get some local rimfire buffs together for an hour or three. Tim (and Gary the gunsmith if he'd come along), Akaroa1, Southcity, and others. Muzza and Tentman up north somewhere. Be good to sit down and listen - always vast amounts to learn as others have often taken different slant on the hobby eg high quality models, old classics etc etc..
    timattalon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rickard1 View Post
    Hi Timattalon, You are exactly the person I was hoping to connect to. Was trying to get Gary's number but I know you are more" hands on" his stuff.Some time ago, he impressed me with a story about a professional shooter who had bought an auto and brought it in for "checking/cleaning" after 60,000 rounds. Gary was mighty impressed that it had fared so well. And that impressed me. I have a pile o .22s and some good autos but reliability does not feature so great in them, hence the Toz. I have an extremely good Toz free pistol that has very hard and tough steel and is absolutely reliable (unlike the Hammerli equiv) So.......what is your price for a new 99 with its four mags. You may phone me 3559647
    I remember that story. After that many rounds he was having feeding issues...Gary cleaned it (for what appeared to be the first tiime) and then checked it over. The shooter had worn the feed lips on the mags down so much which is why it wouldn't feed. Spare mags given (saved us a 5 prick endurance test....) and away he went....

I will PM or try calling when I get a chance. Price is / was $599.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Mudgripz--am in on this. I have found that .22 shooters,like smallbore shooters play their cards very close to their chest. A convivial chat would loosen a lot of stories I'm sure. Timattalon, at that price I'm on.
    timattalon likes this.

Mudgripz -kotuku here -defintely interested in your proposal re .22 users so id be in like flynn. antwhere i can learn from experts or ewven very experienced people is a bloody godsend.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome aboard
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms