Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hunter308

Thread: practice shooting?

practice shooting?

Hey guys, I'm new to hunting and shooting in general.

I was just wondering where would be a good place to practice shooting a rifle around the wellington and/or hamilton areas (as those two cities are where I am based).

Any ideas?

Taupo rifle range on mountain road off the Napier Taupo highway is your best bet $2 honesty box fee climb over the fence and fill ya boots. There is also the Tokoroa sports shooting complex that you could consider joining up with.
    newhunter2012 likes this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

awesome! that sounds good. I want to get my general aim up to a decent standard before I go out for deer for obvious reasons.

And you don't have to be a member to shoot there?

not at the Taupo range just put $2 in the honesty box and climb over the fence style if you wish to join NZDA you can make contact with them via the NZDA site.

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

What cal you shooting ,nh2012 ? another lead wouild be go talk to Simon at Forlongs in Frankton ( Hamilton) ,he,s in there Sporting department he's an ok guy and is in the no , they got some ok hunting shit in there as well .

still deciding which to get. looking at possibly a .243 as I'm new etc. what do u reckon is a decent beginners gun cal/model?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by newhunter2012 View Post
    still deciding which to get. looking at possibly a .243 as I'm new etc. what do u reckon is a decent beginners gun cal/model?
    0243 will certainly get you going. Easy on the shoulder so you won't develop a flinch.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    0243 will certainly get you going. Easy on the shoulder so you won't develop a flinch.
    +1

.243, 7mm08, 6.5x55 are good starting calibers, don't do what some newbies do and go for the biggest and baddest caliber that will boot like a bitch in inexperienced hands.

i am a 6.5mm fan so i would suggest 6.5x55 you will kill goats pigs to red deer nice on the shoulder so you wont end up with recoil flinch. i have a 6.5/06 at the moment on loan from my dad if your heading through rotorua get in touch you can have a shot and see if its your thing or not. if your lucky my .264 win mag might be finished and you could have a crack. have you ever fired a firearm. the 7/08 is a nice round but its not 6.5mm 243 nice round too. have a look at this website Terminal Ballistics Research natthan has heaps of info on rounds to shoot wound database etc this may help you to decide on the round of your choice.