Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Taumarunui

Gone but not forgotten
    A friend's parents farmed down that way for a while, they used to say that land got cheaper the closer you got got to town...
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    What number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Down the end, back section up a shared drive. 14 maybe?

MSL
    14a

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Taumarunui has CHEAP firewood,and folks go and cut thier own still....<$200 for 3 ton of mill slab cheap..... its only cold till 3 in afternoon when the fog clears till next morning......only got 14 neg7 degree frosts in a row my last year at highschool,we still rode motorbikes to school so wasnt really that bad....
    After reading that I lit the fire here, feel chilly...I was in the bush last week, 35 degrees in the afternoon and -2 the next morning

14a

Yep that's it a small railway house that had been relocated from Raurimu and spruced up, had mushrooms growing in the passage when we moved in, most railway guys lived on Sunshine hill.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    Yep that's it a small railway house that had been relocated from Raurimu and spruced up, had mushrooms growing in the passage when we moved in, most railway guys lived on Sunshine hill.
    Bet KiwiRail tried bumping the rent up to cover the free mushies...
    nor-west likes this.

I flatted breify in London with the Daughter of the couple that owned the Taumaranui "Bin Inn"

Guess what the most common stolen commodity was?

Bannana Chips!

So next time you go down that way,bring a big bag along and you might just make some new freinds. Or you could use them to form a bait line with a deep hole at the end of it ...
    vtkomene likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

MSL
    With spikes at the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    One thing I noticed about Taumarunui and Taihape is the houses have great stacks of firewood at every house...there will be a reason for this...and it is that reason I wouldn't live in either place.
    Think you will find Taihape and Taumaranui firewood hoarders are mere amateurs compared to the Raetihi and Waiouru firewood professionals. Got a couple of minus 14's back in the day that kept the Waiouru plumbers frantic

Even remember skiing from Waiouru to the top of the Desert rd behind a mog once they closed the road; a foot of snow

But yeah, lots of those govt built (NZDF/NZFS/Education dept/NZED/MOW houses were pitifully fitted out. Solid timber frame, a log burner and a chip heater was all they had going for them. The fire's often went for 8-10 months of the year. Some only got carpeted in the late 80's.

Now I'm sure some veteran of Taumaranui will rock up and remind me they used to live in a cardboard box in the middle of the road.....
    Micky Duck and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Think you will find Taihape and Taumaranui firewood hoarders are mere amateurs compared to the Raetihi and Waiouru firewood professionals. Got a couple of minus 14's back in the day that kept the Waiouru plumbers frantic

Even remember skiing from Waiouru to the top of the Desert rd behind a mog once they closed the road; a foot of snow

But yeah, lots of those govt built (NZDF/NZFS/Education dept/NZED/MOW houses were pitifully fitted out. Solid timber frame, a log burner and a chip heater was all they had going for them. The fire's often went for 8-10 months of the year. Some only got carpeted in the late 80's.

Now I'm sure some veteran of Taumaranui will rock up and remind me they used to live in a cardboard box in the middle of the road.....
    You had a cardboard box? we lived in a paper bag in a lake and got up a half hour before we went to bed, ate cold gravel for breakfast and worked 26 hours a day at mill for tuppence a year. ( apologies to the old Yorkshire scit)

Banned
    Ahh the good old days
    CATLINS HUNTER and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    You had a cardboard box? we lived in a paper bag in a lake and got up a half hour before we went to bed, ate cold gravel for breakfast and worked 26 hours a day at mill for tuppence a year. ( apologies to the old Yorkshire scit)
    You had what!? We had a condo on the Auckland Viaduct. People used to bring us warm gravel chips in a thermos bag three times a day. We'd long since traded the Mog for a Hummer to tow us down Ponsonby Street. We did it hard, never paid CGT, even contributed thousands to sew a new NZ flag for a funny small dude who sneered a lot and plaited children's' hair( forgotten his name) and you think Taumarunui is hard to live in...?
    norsk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    One thing I noticed about Taumarunui and Taihape is the houses have great stacks of firewood at every house...there will be a reason for this...and it is that reason I wouldn't live in either place.
    I can confirm you do need plenty of fire wood in Taihape as lived there from 1967 to very recently!
    Poke fun you will but what an awesome place to grow up and bring up my 3 boys.
    Love the community and still one of the few places you dont have to lock your doors every time you leave the house!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

MSL
    Where you at now Andy?

Where you at now Andy?

An of shoot valley of the Ruatiti road called Makakahi road.
    It's an hour ten from Taihape.
    Still go down a bit as mum and one boy and house still there and still on the board for the school.
    If ya down round the mountain come for a catch up!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!