Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SikaHuntaa
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Advice on what to get

Advice on what to get

Hey team,

I am looking at getting a camera for taking some photos, videos and using as range scope/spotting scope for deer and tahr in the hills. Any advice within the 700$ range? Been looking at the Canon SX70HS PowerShot as it has great zoom and is on sale for $760ish.

Cheers

be aware the zoom is good...but not as good as claimed..... Ive got something similar and find 10x binos are as good for ID ...once you get past the optical part of zoom you start to get pixilly...if thats the word??? still takes good photos but the comment re spotting scope...yeah nah dont think it will cut mustard.Name:  IMG_0501.JPG
Views: 293
Size:  325.1 KB this photo taken about a km away

if you use cntrl + to zoom in on animals on keyboard you will get same effect that I wouldve if I had zoomed in further.

Take pic at full optical zoom, then zoom further on saved image. My SX60 is every bit as good at x65 zoom as my old spotting scope was
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

+1 for Cannon SX60, maybe newer models with more zoom available these days. As OP have stated go to max optical zoom, take pic then use zoom in on image.
    You should pick up a good 2nd hand SX60 for ~$400 or less.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses, I have had a look on Trademe for SX60s and see one for $350 which I will try to snag.

Regards,
    Ben

just had a look...mine is the canon sx430is so different...did attempt to zoom in on same photo as above...but goes grainy...MAYBE if I had camera set on maximum quality...most pixels it would be much better...must try that next time out on hill...have it set lower as much easier to post photos without dicking around resizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    just had a look...mine is the canon sx430is so different...did attempt to zoom in on same photo as above...but goes grainy...MAYBE if I had camera set on maximum quality...most pixels it would be much better...must try that next time out on hill...have it set lower as much easier to post photos without dicking around resizing.
    I rate it for that photo a km away mate, really all you're after to know if they're up that valley or not, mind you I've yet to shoot a tahr or chammy in 5yrs of living down south haha
    Micky Duck likes this.

what you CANT see in that photo...is that no more than 300 yards away is a hut with noisy four wheel drive arriving at it...the thar KNEW they out of sight and were relaxed....thats before chopper cull obviously . good luck with quest for good camera...I seldom convince myself to carry it.
    SikaHuntaa likes this.