Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Drones on DOC land

Drones on DOC land

Apparently a no no unless you have a concession according to the Doc website. Surely all these youtube hunters and bus loads of tourists don't all have a concession to fly/video using drones?
    Carbine and Micky Duck like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Of course they don't.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

woop woop, it's the sound of the [fun] police....
    norsk, trapperjohn, MCCPRO and 1 others like this.

The NZ Hunter crew apparently have a concession for their drones for use on public land according to Willy when we spoke a couple of years ago. They had to keep renewing it. Just keeping to the rules of engagement.

I thought the rules were to have a permit to fly over any doc administered land and a concession if you were using it for commercial gain. ( As nzhunter would be)

Did some research. There's a lot to do if you follow the rules. $74.75 for each area applied for as well.

https://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved...nal-drone-use/
    Micky Duck likes this.

Walking my rifle
    i think it one of those things where you do need a permit, but also doc don't bother to enforce it. kind of like hunting on doc land with a shotgun (like many pighunters do) or cutting down trees for firewood ,cutting tracks ,sleeping in paid huts without a ticket . all are illegal, but all gets done by so many people that they dont bother enforcing
    MB likes this.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

That's what happens when there are too many rules around somthing. People either dont know, or end up going the other way out of fustration and to be honest, I don't blame them.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 13-07-2023 at 10:20 PM.
    Growlybear likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieZAR View Post
    i think it one of those things where you do need a permit, but also doc don't bother to enforce it. kind of like hunting on doc land with a shotgun (like many pighunters do) or cutting down trees for firewood ,cutting tracks ,sleeping in paid huts without a ticket . all are illegal, but all gets done by so many people that they dont bother enforcing
    I would not push ones luck with some of those- my time in DOC we did prosecute successfully for cutting tracks - cutting down standing green native ( dead on ground okay for firewood ) not all DOC staff are warranted Officers under Conservation act in fact few are - you will strike the wrong one one day and then depends on judge on day what happens - so be careful a warranted Officer under Conservation Act can - stop search seize and commence a prosecution

In approx fifty years of hunting on doc land, I have never come across a doc worker in the field.
    Overkill is still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    In approx fifty years of hunting on doc land, I have never come across a doc worker in the field.
    all of the cases I was involved in where prosecutions came about they were reported by trampers or hunters and then we went out and caught up with the party's -all I am saying is its a little silly to say I wont get caught - that's the day you are being watched

so cutting a track.....you are keeping access way open..thats a health and safety issue...good luck trying that one in court.
    shotgun on DOC controlled land....also have small game permit....thats that base covered
    dog in non dog area..thats a curly one..if no kiwi in area and dog is under control..eg indicator dog not free roaming...well its a non issue
    was told by DOC staff in Timaru nzda meeting years back they cannot stop tramper with dogs...... so bit of double standard,quickly put on my dark sunnies and let dog lead me LOL...maybe dog is my emotional support animal..... but I also havent ever seen DOC worker in the field in 40 years of hunting...seen them on trap lines or weed control around edges or road sides but never actually out in block...oh hang on,yes we ran into 3 guys in wainakarua 30 years ago.we were having snooze in tussocks and old misty dog saw them coming and barked up a storm LOL.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so cutting a track.....you are keeping access way open..thats a health and safety issue...good luck trying that one in court.
    shotgun on DOC controlled land....also have small game permit....thats that base covered
    dog in non dog area..thats a curly one..if no kiwi in area and dog is under control..eg indicator dog not free roaming...well its a non issue
    was told by DOC staff in Timaru nzda meeting years back they cannot stop tramper with dogs...... so bit of double standard,quickly put on my dark sunnies and let dog lead me LOL...maybe dog is my emotional support animal..... but I also havent ever seen DOC worker in the field in 40 years of hunting...seen them on trap lines or weed control around edges or road sides but never actually out in block...oh hang on,yes we ran into 3 guys in wainakarua 30 years ago.we were having snooze in tussocks and old misty dog saw them coming and barked up a storm LOL.
    the track one that really rings a bell was a dairy farmer from Taranaki - keen tramper decided to cut a new track up onto pouakais in ENP - so was very busy with scrub bar when caught - the tree cutting- a group of hunters had cut down about 6 kanuka and built a camp with table etc -not small kanuka about 20 feet high and 6-8 inches thru -just did not see them as native -light trimming on a track in different ball game -especially stinging nettle
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    Did some research. There's a lot to do if you follow the rules. $74.75 for each area applied for as well.

https://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved...nal-drone-use/
    Had a quick look but couldnt find any penalties schedule ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Had a quick look but couldnt find any penalties schedule ?
    under offences Conservation act -

conducts in any conservation area, any activity for which a concession is required under this Act; or

The penalties are,—
    (a)
    in the case of an individual, imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years or a fine not exceeding $100,000, or both:
    Last edited by Barry the hunter; 14-07-2023 at 01:31 PM.
    Moa Hunter likes this.