Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: the magic of photoshop!

Looks like a mullet

Quote Originally Posted by 6mm ackley View Post
    Looks like a mullet
    Nah,more like a snapper
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

More to the point, what is it the birds trying to say?
    Ya can't park there mate.

Someone needs a shave, might have been fashionable in the 70's but not now days.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

R93
    Who cares. It is a nice stag all the same. Although missing its bay tines.
    At least it's antlers are bush stained, which is not like half the big fake heads you see in mags these days.
    Good on him.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Blaser and Gapped axe like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I had a guy that was pretty good at messing with my duck shooting pics.

Feeding the acorns around my pond and he added this too my pic.

Then opening day he did this...lol
    redbang and Gapped axe like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    ok, not sure but is this photo shopped??

National Geographic voted this the "Wildlife shot of the year"..

Attachment 34299
    Toupee is a bit of a give away?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Someone needs a shave, might have been fashionable in the 70's but not now days.
    Hair, hair!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Christ, you guys believe EVERYTHING you read or see is to be true and above board?
    All media manipulate the story to sell more papers/advertising or promote their own agenda, ie:

There MUST have been WMDs in Iraq.
    The Americas Cup IS a good use of taxpayers money.
    The SkyCity convention centre IS needed in Auckland.

There will be photos and stories on this forum where the photo has been taken/modified to hide the road, car, fence, farm paddock, 8 wire batten fence etc to not give the whole picture, either where, when or how the animal was hunted/shot (there is a difference).
    In fact I'm probably guilty of cropping out a few fence/boundary markers myself.

Hunting TV shows are even better for using stock footage and 'placing' animals nearby, as they have budgets and timeframes to work to.

So NZHunter has been caught out.
    It would be good if Greg can be given a chance to reply.
    Last edited by dogmatix; 18-02-2015 at 10:54 AM.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Christ, you guys believe EVERYTHING you read or see is to be true and above board?
    All media manipulate the story to sell more papers/advertising or promote their own agenda, ie:

There MUST have been WMDs in Iraq.
    The Americas Cup IS a good use of taxpayers money.
    The SkyCity convention centre IS needed in Auckland.

There will be photos and stories on this forum where the photo has been taken/modified to hide the road, car, fence, farm paddock, 8 wire batten fence etc to not give the whole picture, either where, when or how the animal was hunted/shot (there is a difference).
    In fact I'm probably guilty of cropping out a few fence/boundary markers myself.

Hunting TV shows are even better for using stock footage and 'placing' animals nearby, as they have budgets and timeframes to work to.

So NZHunter has been caught out.
    It would be good if Greg can be given a chance to reply.
    I think the point is more the hunter wrote a story about his genuine 10pt stag hunt and the editor changed the story and photo shopped a photo of a gissy stag to have a background of the ruahines to hype up a story obviously to help sell more mags . different to removing a fence or hiding a land mark so to not disclose your spot . not telling guys your spot x or treating them as idiots is two different things.
    veitnamcam, mikee and Frosty like this.
    Those that can do - Those that can't bitch about those that can

As you are determined to reply to me across multiple fora, I will do the same.

Welcome to the world of publishing, where the publisher/editor has the right to change whatever they feel in their publication.

Perhaps the original hunter should have checked his IP rights before sending in articles, and did he accept any promised payment (see page 3 of the magazine regarding submitting articles).

if he has accepted any payment, then he's technically accepted terms and conditions of it appearing in the magazine.

You also missed my point about other photos being modified to hide roads, fences and the like, nothing to do with secret spot x, but more to do with farm shooting in paddocks, shooting from/on roads, and at night with the spotlight. Plenty of that on here that people would feel embarrassed about posting.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Greg has replied on Fishnhunt.
    Welcome to Sako club.

I've taken the liberty of posting Greg's reply on FnH.

Mountain out of a molehill comes to mind.

Greg Duley

NZ Hunter Magazine

H.B.
    Re: The magic of photoshop
    Reply #37 - Today at 1:21pm

Here are the facts which may save some speculation. We had to pull a Red stag story at the last minute when we were about to go to print with the last issue due to finding out it was in another mag – the deerstalkers mag.
    We’d already had an issue with the cover story of this issue, that we found out (thankfully a little earlier) that it had also been sent to R&R mag. I let the owner of R&R know, as they come out after us, and they had it on their cover as well. Luckily they still had time to pull the story,
    Anyway, back to this Red story, we looked back through our files, found that Red stag story, the designer laid it up with the pics we’d been sent and were in the folder with the story, unaware they were from two different hunts, but took the pine tree that was right behind the stag out, and we went to print. We sent a PDF of the laid up article to the author, he laughed about the pic and said they were from two different hunts, but said he was ok with it, so we never stopped the print run or we would not have made our delivery deadline.
    As to photo-shopped covers, yes, at times our designer does a small amount of photo-shopping of the cover, eg removes tongues hanging out, or rifles sitting across antlers, or puts a more contrasting colour along the top of the pic to make the logo stand out more etc, but the cover of August 2012 was certainly not photo-shopped. Gwyn the author/photographer is a member of this forum and you can ask him if you don’t believe me.
    As to comments about paying double for subscriptions, or not getting competition prizes, please email me about these, as anything like this we’re made aware of we certainly follow up. We do not do the subscriptions ourselves, they are done by a lady in Taupo, and a lot of the competitions prizes are sent out direct by the company sponsoring it, so we don’t get to hear about a prize not turning up unless the winner contacts us.

editor@nzhunter.co.nz

As for comments about the TV Show, at least wait until you've seen it before you start pulling it to pieces! Grin
    Welcome to Sako club.

Editorial licence and commercial constraints aside, that image is plain misleading.
    More than just simply cropping a pine tree as claimed. The whole background and setting is modified.
    Should make for some entertaining letters to editor across the NZ publications though hopefully.

Right folks here is your REAL answer

I have just sat down with the author of the story , during which time I have been given the chance to read the email correspondence between NZ Hunter and the author as well as the ORIGINAL submitted story.

The story was submitted to NZ Hunter in 2012 so was sitting there for a while before been used this year , at which time there were no pics as the trip was filmed on video .

5th Jan 2015 NZ Hunter says they are going to run the story and wants pics for it as they only have two pics from a different stag (original 14pt gissy stag and same head sitting against the tree) not submitted with story .
    The author submitted two pics in reply one of which is a pic of himself sitting on a slip with his gun in the Ruahines , this becomes the photo shop background to the 14pt head.

I have read the full original submitted story and yes it has been changed to make it seem like the 14pt stag was the story deer.

The story was originally written about the 10pt stag shown in one of the pics sitting on the deck (NZ Hunter added in the caption saying it was from a previous trip ) this was a lie.

" and the fact that only a year earlier I had secured a reasonable 10 point head from the same location" should have read 11 point , this has been changed to complete the above lie.

"of solid timber and with a cluster on each top" has been changed from a solid 10 . this was another lie to complete the picture that it was the 14pt stag in the story.
    The last section of story has been left out completely where it described the 10pt head , measurements and douglas score.

After reading the emails and the story I can only come to the following conclusion.

The author did not and had nothing to do with the modification of the story to hype it up , It is well known locally that he shot the 14pt in gissy , he submitted it to the NZDA comp in 2012 as a gissy head and got 3rd - well done , he had nothing to gain from a bullshit story , he was looking at writing a story about that 14pt hunt anyway.

NZ Hunter knew the stag was from a different hunt , before photos were even submitted for the story.

NZ Hunter photo shopped the supplied photo with the gissy one to look like the ruahines , why you would ask if as NZ Hunter suggested it was what came with the story , there would be no reason to do so .

The story HAS been changed by NZ Hunter to complete the lie.

The replies from NZ Hunter about using the file story and photo is a lie , there were no original story photos

the replies from NZ Hunter about not changing the story is a lie , (original can still be found in the Manawatu NZDA newsletter to for people to check)

I have no problems with people cropping pics to hide locations of spot X , no problems not writing where spot X is , but for a magazine to rewrite a story and change photos for which only can guessed to sell more mags is wrong , the author deserves more respect than that , what stories you make up of your own and submit is up to you .
    Those that can do - Those that can't bitch about those that can