Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Manawatu Gorge Slip

The ironic thought I had is that 50 years ago a County Council Overseer would have been instructed to blast it down no waiting for it too move no Site Safety / Health & Safety site plan. A couple of boxes of gelly and problems solved.
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and 223nut like this.

@Bonecrusher, tend to agree, my first recollection of going through the gorge would have been the late 50s early 60s, Thats a long time ago and it was there long before that, The Ashurst end must have been bridged in the Depression? When they did things like that for employment, such as the long bridge over the Manawatu at Foxton, I remember when they straightened the Ballance end, maybe the 70s? Have we just become soft cocks? Tip the slip into the river, dam it and put in another Hydro to compliment the wind farms?
    gadgetman and Paddy79 like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
    Fark I love these urban legends.

There are so many of them
    Wainuiomata Tunnel
    Rimutaka Rd Tunnel
    SH1 welly to Jafa land 4 lanes
    Mt Messenger
    Transmission Gully
    MT Victoria
    and of course Manawatu Gorge.

Even if theyre not true they still get repeated as fact
    I believe the Wainu is correct, The Rimutaka road was not going to be tunneled, but run up the valley with a few short tunnels, The 4 way highway was a bit ambitious I think, Mount Messenger Mount Vic I dont know. Now you say Urban Legends? But I've known about these for 50-60 yrs so there's doubt!!??? cause my mum and dad and grandparents never told porkys!!
    erniec likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    The ironic thought I had is that 50 years ago a County Council Overseer would have been instructed to blast it down no waiting for it too move no Site Safety / Health & Safety site plan. A couple of boxes of gelly and problems solved.
    IF - IF you could get the bang into the guts of the hill where it needs to be that might work. Biggest problem AFAIK is the size of the gear required to pop a borehole down that far is not a goer when the land is already wandering off at a fearsome rate. The biggest problem coming from the civil boys who have contacts down there is they don't actually know how much is unstable, and every time a little bit drops off it uncorks the rest that much more. I think the fear is that if the entire amount does come down and does block the river, that could be the end of the rail link as well as the road. I'm not sure on the relative elevation of the rail compared to the road but there isn't a huge amount of difference IIRC.