Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Some new calibres for custom builds

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Theres very little thats new in the wild cat world. Many decades of inventinve shooters and tinkerers have expolred most nooks and crannys in the brass shape department.New devlopments in powders and projectiles revive interest in things sometimes .The 6mm-204 is a 6x47 federal (not the 6x47 lapua) with a different head stamp and the 375 ruger has been pushed and pulled since it came onto the scene some years ago. The 7mm LRM as one maker is calling the 7mm-375 R with a few tweaks ) interested me a while ago, if it would clean up a 7 mm rem mag chamber then it would make a nice cheap alternitive in a T3 or simmilar, like the .338 sin can be a rechamber on a .338 winmag giving a good performance gain for little outlay. Greg have you pushed the shoulder back on your version to gain a little neck length? Nice to know theres a reamer in the country
    I decided to keep the shoulder length the same so the neck is a little shorter, there is capacity in the case to move it back a bit but for KISS reasons I left it alone.

It could be moved back a little by not running it into the chamber so far etc but....

Brass & dies etc are very simple therefore economical, which is where I want to be

The 6-204 was an accident by the reamer makers so I ran with it & it was worth it

Still waiting for a couple of more reamers to add to my stable

Quite an arsenal you are building up. Have you got a couple of new gun safes to fill up, or are you building these to onsell as ready to go semi customs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    Quite an arsenal you are building up. Have you got a couple of new gun safes to fill up, or are you building these to onsell as ready to go semi customs?
    Building to sell as "turn key"customs, these ones are the prototypes & load development mules, not that I have needed to fire many to get where I am with them

All my rifles will be sold with loads developed for them, with brass, dies, earmuffs etc available for them as well.

Have you looked at the re chamber options for the 7mm? I gave up very early in the piece after a rare attack of common sense when I looked at how and where i shoot and the fact that my 280ai is more than capable .
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Have you looked at the re chamber options for the 7mm? I gave up very early in the piece after a rare attack of common sense when I looked at how and where i shoot and the fact that my 280ai is more than capable .
    The 7 & 30-375 can rechamber the Rem & Win mags if you are careful & the bolt face is the same unlike the Dakota's

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Thanks for that Adam.....
    Please define similar.....
    How many STWs are there out there......
    The STW won't fit the standard magazine, uses more powder & has a belt....
    Search the net on 7mm 375 & you will be very supprised.
    The brass is very easy to form with standard dies...to easy......... not quite as easy the Edge brass...
    My brass won't be $10 a go either, ever & you will be able to get it when YOU want it, you can make it yourself..
    Why does everyone/most have a pet hate for belts?? there are so mannnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy 7mm Rem Mags kicking around now
    Theres heaps of different cases an wildcats out there all different strokes for differnen fokes, if you go semi big may as well go the whole hog?? as they will never be ranger plinkers anyway an they will struggel to wear them out shooting animals, to the point most will change cal for somthing different before its buggered anyway, so i have found anyway

Mines 27"?? i think an im at 83? or 2225 can go more but things die an it cruzies there

Hers some also that are out simular to greg but they all do same job in the end but some just look plain sicccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk

(had to leave some out camera wouldnt fit them in haha)
    From left to right
    243ai, 6.5x55, 270, 6.5-300wsm, 7mm Rem Mag, COOL 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm_____, 7mm_____,300____, 338 Edge an 338 Edge Imp

Impure Lead Flinger
    Theres some nice wee hunks brass there wee abey ....

How hard / Easy is it to make 7mm- 375 brass Greg?

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    How hard / Easy is it to make 7mm- 375 brass Greg?
    It is the hardest of my calibres to make brass for........it takes 3 passes over standard/cheap dies to make.......easy as

Greg Duley built what he calls the 7mm STUMPY which is designed to fit a standard length tikka mag . Its a 7mm RUM shortened down. I have 162 A-Max doing 3275 from it.
    Sitting next to a 308 from comparison.
    Name:  P1000135.JPG
Views: 18910
Size:  29.7 KBName:  P1000125.JPG
Views: 3550
Size:  32.0 KB

Thats a nice looking round

It would "fun" making brass for that

How much/what powder does it use & is it std tikka barrel length ?

Impure Lead Flinger
    If your in a position to need a mag fitting round you dont need magnum capabilities... If you need giant magnums your most likely shooting out far so a mag fit is debatable....

Its all just a giant moot point in the giant scheme of things and the elusive penis size

Greg does the loads so unsure how much powder , yes i believe the brass is "fun" to form. It has a 26" Trueflight ultra match (cant remember the contour.

Re needing a mag length fit, this rifle is used for both longer range as well as in bush stuff. I agree single feed is fine if the rifle is just used for long range.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Nice editing of your replies greg

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    Nice editing of your replies greg

Wot the hell are you on about now ?????