Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Apple Cider

P38
    @mrs dundee

I opened my first bottle of Apple Cider today that was made from Keri Apple Juice and bottled on December 4th.

Let it chill in the fridge for a few hours first.

Tastes Bloody Great Too
    Name:  S1950001.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  718.4 KB
    Name:  S1950002.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  697.7 KB

Will taste even better with a couple of more months under its belt, especially on those long hot February evenings with a BBQ.

I fermented and bottled 15L of Keri Apple Juice on Dec 4 and have another 15L currently in the fermenter which will be bottled in a week or three.

Total costs all up work out at $1.60/L ........ would be even cheaper if I could find a bulk source of apple juice other than the supermarket.

I've Learned that making Cider from commercially squeezed apple juice like Keri or Fresh Up is way easier and gives a much better product than home juicing your own apples.

I also found that the 15L bottles of water they sell at Pak N Save for $9:99 make awesome fermenters and are way cheaper that the $50 odd dollars they want for a fermenter at the brew shops.

Mrs D, Take it easy on the Cider as even after one bottle you'll be feeling the love and Mr D may or may not show any compassion if you over indulge.

Cheers
    Pete
    veitnamcam, Toby and mrs dundee like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Nice Pete. You have a juice supply just up the road.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Nice Pete. You have a juice supply just up the road.
    Where's that James?

Will they sell small quantities?

Cheers
    Pete

Ill keep you posted. A local juice business is a new customer of mine. No public sales but I jokingly asked for some apple juice to cider and it was considered not a problem.
    I like your supermarket juice jug too. Was looking at used water cooler bottles.

P38
    Ill keep you posted. A local juice business is a new customer of mine. No public sales but I jokingly asked for some apple juice to cider and it was considered not a problem.
    I like your supermarket juice jug too. Was looking at used water cooler bottles.
    Good stuff James

The 15L water bottles I mentioned are for water coolers.

If you have any empties grab them for your fermenter.

Cheers
    Pete

Hmmmm, we do a fair bit of work for enza and I have a virtually un limited supply of 200 liter plastic drums.

It's got the gears turning Pete!
    jakewire and Gibo like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Is it worth spending the couple of bucks and throwing some Finings in to clear it all, save the wait?
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Hmmmm, we do a fair bit of work for enza and I have a virtually un limited supply of 200 liter plastic drums.

It's got the gears turning Pete!
    200L of cider sounds dangerous. You'll turn Nelson all hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Is it worth spending the couple of bucks and throwing some Finings in to clear it all, save the wait?
    I've been throwing gelatin into my beer before bottling. It cleans it up very well. Finings (Irish Moss) usually goes in the boil?

200L of cider sounds dangerous. You'll turn Nelson all hippy
    Too late
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

P38
    @Willie

No need to add finnings.

Apple cider will clear itself beautifully ..... fermentation could take a couple of months ........ followed by a good couple of months in the bottle ......you just have to be patient that's all.

My Pommy Mate from Kent recons it's not real Cider unless it's cloudy and has floaty bits in it.

However he has given my brew the thumbs up.

Start a brew now and another in Autumn and you'll have a good supply for Spring and Summer.

Cheers
    Pete

Cheers Pete, right now i have enough home brew beer to fill the garage, seriously out of hand lol.
    Just away to bottle up another 23 litres of Wheat Beer now. Damn that stuff is good, also got a really nice IPA that is rocking about 6.5% after using some brew enhancer. Woops, gives a nice little buzz that one does.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Too late
    Oh don't I know it. I rescued my cook from there.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    @mrs dundee

I opened my first bottle of Apple Cider today that was made from Keri Apple Juice and bottled on December 4th.

Tastes Bloody Great Too
    Attachment 32557
    Attachment 32558

Will taste even better with a couple of more months under its belt, especially on those long hot February evenings with a BBQ.

I fermented and bottled 15L of Keri Apple Juice on Dec 4 and have another 15L currently in the fermenter which will be bottled in a week or three.

Total costs all up work out at $1.60/L ........ would be even cheaper if I could find a bulk source of apple juice other than the supermarket.

I've Learned that making Cider from commercially squeezed apple juice like Keri or Fresh Up is way easier and gives a much better product than home juicing your own apples.

I also found that the 15L bottles of water they sell at Pak N Save for $9:99 make awesome fermenters and are way cheaper that the $50 odd dollars they want for a fermenter at the brew shops.

Mrs D, Take it easy on the Cider as even after one bottle you'll be feeling the love and Mr D may or may not show any compassion if you over indulge.

Cheers
    Pete
    p38 i tried yr cider very nice,but havent tried the dec 4th 1 yet but i will thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    @mrs dundee

Tastes Bloody Great Too
    Attachment 32557
    Attachment 32558

Cheers
    Pete
    p38 i tried yr cider very nice,but havent tried the dec 4th 1 yet but i will thanks again.