Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Can hangi...

Can hangi...

Put down a feed for a community group for Tues night just gone, had 50-odd on the night with a few more who couldn't attend that got doggy bags.

Bit of work to get all the kai brought and organised and set it all up and started cooking just after 1230 for 6 hours in the can. Wow, decent quality aged meat sealed in tinfoil with a slapping of honey, herbs, salt, soy sauce and oil and cuddling it's own juices - damn it was tender. A very good way to do it, as you aren't panicking at the business end of the night trying to cook everything at the same time. Just pull it all out, someone on the carving up and then buffet-style serving (take what you want).

First time I've done that much tucker in one go - usually just 20-odd people size groups and we had two cans going at the same time to get it all sorted for that sized group. Fortunately all came out perfectly, couldn't have gone better to be fair. Interesting one was a mutton roll, I didn't pull it out with the rest as I figured we would have enough so after the gas was shut off I left it in the can on the heat for another hour and a half. By the time we needed it, and it came out of the foil it just broke up and was melt-in-your-mouth quality.

Highly recommended!
    308, 300wsm for life, 40mm and 4 others like this.

Photos or it didn't happen
    40mm and paremata like this.

I've got the chopped and modded alloy beer keg set up. I Always poke a couple of handfulls of soil wrapped in some mutton clothe like a tea bag near the top of the kai to give it that dinkum earthy twang.Available to loan out if anyone local wants to borrow it for a go.Find they are good for breaking down tougher joints into finger lickin good
    csmiffy likes this.

Haha crack me up - the suggestion was to walk around with a bowl of scratchings out of the flower garden - "Seasoning anyone, seasoning?"

Quote Originally Posted by No good names left View Post
    Photos or it didn't happen
    Hmmmm, someone did take pictures... Wait one

This looks like the only photo, still dishing up at this stage if I recall right? I was busy giving myself steam singed fingers trying to unload muslin cloth tubes haha...
    Name:  FB_IMG_1703187238282_copy_739x1241.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  475.7 KB

The two plates closest to the end of the table are stuffings, the one on the left is a gluten free version. I'm going to do that again, it was awesome. First time I've done stuffings that that way in a hangi can (wrapped in tinfoil and shoved in next to the meat packages) and for the amount of work the results were very good. And going back up the table in that photo I think it's pork roll, beef bola brisket and then a mutton roll... Me offsider who was doing the other can did an amazing job with the chickens and veges, and my other man did a bloody good job too. Probably total prep time based on three people would have been about 5 hours or so, we did have more helping with the vege prep the night before so that's a bit of a guesstimate as it took a lot less time that that but with a lot more people on the vege prep.

I know you can do a lot more in the cans than I've done, steamed puddings and the like, cakes etc but it's having the idea seeded to give it a go!
    Last edited by No.3; 22-12-2023 at 08:51 AM.
    Mrs Beeman likes this.

Photo or link for cans please

Quote Originally Posted by Sharki View Post
    Photo or link for cans please
    Ok, the other one was an early version of these: https://multikaicooker.co.nz/

Mine is one that's been home made from a 900mm long chunk of 400mm stainless spiral welded pipe with a plate in one end that the water sits on with a set of rods about 200mm up from the plate. Stainless baskets stack on the rods and once loaded a lid keeps the steam in. Mine has a tube that sticks up out of the water, sealed at the bottom and open at the top and you chuck manuka sawdust in it to add the smokey flavour as it's cooking. I modified it to have a permanently attached gas ring and castors to roll it around with a BBQ spark ignitor to light the gas ring. Works bloody well for what it is. I run off around a 1L of water per hour if the thing is only half full, although it seems to run better and use less water the more it's loaded up.

Well done, I'm not usually a fan of hangis as they can be a bit bland but that looks & sounds great

Yes I tend to agree, the workaround I've found is effectively basting with the cuts sitting in their own juices in a bath made of tinfoil or even a deep disposable baking tray with a tinfoil hat so any juices run into the tray and not out. I slap the things with honey (and I mean slap, I used half a honey container from the supermarket on the five cuts we did in this go). Rub with salt, a good handful of mixed herbs and a goodly splash of soy sauce and cooking oil.

Depending on how I'm feeling and what it is I might use a drench of wine rather than soy sauce as well.
    Mrs Beeman and 11mms like this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Put down a feed for a community group for Tues night just gone, had 50-odd on the night with a few more who couldn't attend that got doggy bags.

Bit of work to get all the kai brought and organised and set it all up and started cooking just after 1230 for 6 hours in the can. Wow, decent quality aged meat sealed in tinfoil with a slapping of honey, herbs, salt, soy sauce and oil and cuddling it's own juices - damn it was tender. A very good way to do it, as you aren't panicking at the business end of the night trying to cook everything at the same time. Just pull it all out, someone on the carving up and then buffet-style serving (take what you want).

First time I've done that much tucker in one go - usually just 20-odd people size groups and we had two cans going at the same time to get it all sorted for that sized group. Fortunately all came out perfectly, couldn't have gone better to be fair. Interesting one was a mutton roll, I didn't pull it out with the rest as I figured we would have enough so after the gas was shut off I left it in the can on the heat for another hour and a half. By the time we needed it, and it came out of the foil it just broke up and was melt-in-your-mouth quality.

Highly recommended!
    good on ya timing timing timing is everything rough cooking spits etc get it right and yummy

We do a multikai three basket cook a few times each year when feeding a big group, can't go wrong. I like the traditional hangi too but there is a fair bit that can go wrong where there is a fair bit of pressure to get it right.

I like putting whole goat legs in the multikai, saves a bit of work breaking them down.
    @No.3 definetly recommend giving the steamed pudding a go with the multikai. The only downside of these is that after all the meat and veg, I am normally too full to do the pudding justice.
    No.3 likes this.

Looks awesome!

I will tell you all the worst I have ever seen so none of you are ever tempted to try it - went to a cook up at Warkworth ( wont use the maori H word as thats insulting all who have ever put one down properly - well there was baskets - wet sacks - a hole in the ground but that is about where it stops - instead of stones they had chunks of railway iron ( okay but not traditional ) and heres where it went pear shaped - they heated the railway iron with a diesel drip into a half 44 gallon drum and fired it with a vacuum cleaner on blow to get more heat - the whole thing reeked of diesel -

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    I will tell you all the worst I have ever seen so none of you are ever tempted to try it - went to a cook up at Warkworth ( wont use the maori H word as thats insulting all who have ever put one down properly - well there was baskets - wet sacks - a hole in the ground but that is about where it stops - instead of stones they had chunks of railway iron ( okay but not traditional ) and heres where it went pear shaped - they heated the railway iron with a diesel drip into a half 44 gallon drum and fired it with a vacuum cleaner on blow to get more heat - the whole thing reeked of diesel -
    Yeah, gotta be a little careful. Know a fella that had to delice his pigs, had some waste engine oil and went hmmm, bright idea cannon went off and whopped the oil onto the pigs. Worked, but when we sorted them out a few days later you could smell the oil taint. He reckoned it was fine, Holden flavoured pork aw. When are we going to get that 'don't like' button?