Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree13073Likes

Thread: Dinner thread?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Fuck that looks good?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Fuck that looks good?
    It's a really clever system. Bradley (spell?) smoker. A supplier gave it to us, so boss decided we should shake-down test it a few times before he chucks it on his catamaran. It auto feeds these wood chip briquettes (size and shape of a hockey puck) on a timer. Full temp monitoring, timers, electronic temp probes for in the meat, alarms, you name it. You literally can't fuck it up. They are fucking expensive though ( $1100 for the smallest one, without a temp probe), but this one cost zero, which is a very sharp price indeed.

We cooked a few pork sausages, lamb kebabs, rolled pork, and a bit of brisket in there. All prep'd yesterday while having a beer, and went in at 7am before we got into the days work. The sossies and kebabs came out at 10h30 for morning tea (no pics of finished soss, they were too good and got inhaled, kebabs only juuuust survived long enough for picture). The brisket and pork were insanely good, I was feeding customers lumps of meat as they picked up their cars during the day, the odd sales rep, anyone that stood still long enough basically. It was fucking hilarious.

Have a new found respect for brisket as a cut of meat, going to knock a smoker up for home on the weekends. @stretch, a leg of goat properly prepared, this way (8/9 hours) would be outstanding I reckon

I've got one. They are bloody brilliant.

Haven't been able to do smoked chicken to a acceptable level yet though.

Sausages, ribs, lamb shoulder, all great.

Also can do smoked cheese in it and it is fantastic. Bit of a nack to keep the temp down, but you can fit about 4 kgs of cheese in. Cut blocks into 1/3's, put on baking paper squares and onto racks, keep the smoker out of the sun, open the top vent about 3/4, about 80 mins (4 wood pucks), then wrap the cheese real tight in glad wrap, and into fridge for about 2-3 weeks. The last bit is the key, if you eat it to soon, it tastes like eating ash, but leave to mature and it's great.

Also when you do Peking duck, I use it as a drier. Pull out the electric box and made up a 'flange' to cover the hole, put a 12v computer fan in the hole, open top vent fully, hang duck inside , turn on fan, dried duck. Just had a thought - will use it for billtong.....
    veitnamcam and johnino like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Gave sous vide a go lastnight. Tell you what, the flavour is second to none. Salt, pepper, bay leave, butter and olive oil and bacon. 65* for an hour...

Name:  Sous vide.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  94.3 KBName:  15033966_10154198644534926_1878501911_o.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  192.0 KB

From fresh, to fillet, to smoked while milking. Then a snack while washing up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tonight's menu sorted...Smoked Brown Trout, getting prepared with my garam Masala and Herb Brining Mix....be ready to smoke at milking time this arvo.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Yes well you have to try some things. Attachment 57716
    The one in the middle that looks like a mouldy shit smells like vomit of toad and tasted like oh so good.
    Goats cheese from France had on fresh baguette. Man they do know how to make some really good food
    Just imported some back from France had dinner with good friends and tucked into some after dinner cheese when out crawled these fallasName:  IMG_4409.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  382.2 KBName:  IMG_4410.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  748.7 KB

GWH
    Forgot to take pics last night but cooked lamb racks, beef eye fillet and veni back steak on my open fireplace outside, over a heap of manuka coals.

It all came up bloody well. Especially the beef fillet which really soaked up heaps of smokey goodness.

It was a special send off dinner for my good hunting mate Grant who is unfortunately heading back with his family to live in Aussie in a week.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    rambo rem700 and mrs dundee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Gave sous vide a go lastnight. Tell you what, the flavour is second to none. Salt, pepper, bay leave, butter and olive oil and bacon. 65* for an hour...

Attachment 58714Attachment 58715
    The cool thing with sous vide is you can then also give it a very quick 30 seconds in the hottest pan you can muster. That way you get the perfectly cooked centre, but also the added tastiness provided by the malliard reaction. ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction )

A good simple easy way to sous vide is just hot tap water (55 degrees ish) into a chilly bin, but only half full. Then top up with a litre of boiling water every half hour or so, try that over 6 hours- you'll be making werewolf noises I guarantee it

All the best in Aussie @grunter
    mrs dundee likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Just imported some back from France had dinner with good friends and tucked into some after dinner cheese when out crawled these fallasAttachment 59176Attachment 59177
    I take it they are not supposed to be there?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I take it they are not supposed to be there?
    Actually it's not uncommon for you to find these in French cheese, still tasted bloody good!
    They where only spotted once we had pushed back our plates and reached for he port.
    Not to worried as if my stomach acid did not kill them the port would have

Not sure if our guests where that amused but before they where spotted they where saying how good it tasted
    veitnamcam likes this.

Good cheese has a life all of its own.
    Kiwi-Hunter likes this.

Last sat I tried smoked snap and rig at a mates bbq for the first time ever and enjoyed them muchly, so tonight I smoked a snap.

This is my second plate......all that loose meat is from the head.....there may be a few less fish heads given away from now on!

I knew there was meat in there of course but I had never actually cooked a snapper head myself and was bloody surprised how much there was!

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    kiwijames, Beaker, Tommy and 2 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.