Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree13029Likes

Thread: Dinner thread?

No more venison left.Another slow cooked roast.
    Name:  picture 01 3920.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  163.5 KBName:  picture 01 3919.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  164.5 KB
    Three red deer eaten since April,time to hit the hills again.
    Moa Hunter, dannyb and NO4 like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

MSL
    veitnamcam, NRT, Dundee and 6 others like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Perfect.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    That looks freakin awesome

Any special tricks on the crackling or was that just straight in the oven?

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    That looks freakin awesome

Any special tricks on the crackling or was that just straight in the oven?
    I cheat. While my pork is resting and the gravy is getting made I grill it.

Can't wait to wrap my gob on these venison herb and fennel sausages that I won off "Chase and Gather"
    Name:  picture 01 3943.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  163.9 KB
    Also prepped the four back legs and back straps off the last hares,legs destined for the crock pot and will fire up the BBQ for the back straps.
    Name:  picture 01 3941.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  163.4 KB
    Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Sorry no fancy plating tonight and a black plate @Moa Hunter that looks dirty as I am on my second helping.
    Wild pulled pork and mashed potatoes with golden kumera, soo damn good and left over pulled pork for lunch tomorrow
    Name:  IMG_20190818_183241.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  2.31 MB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Sorry no fancy plating tonight and a black plate @Moa Hunter that looks dirty as I am on my second helping.
    Wild pulled pork and mashed potatoes with golden kumera, soo damn good and left over pulled pork for lunch tomorrow
    Attachment 118051
    Apologies aside, your standards are dropping. Have you started drinking Waikato as well ??
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Apologies aside, your standards are dropping. Have you started drinking Waikato as well ??
    Speights bro pride of the south

MB
    Kahawai curry for us last night. We don't normally eat it*, but I found a fillet in the freezer. It took a bit of head scratching to work out how it ended up there, then I remembered my dirty bait fishing mate caught it. It was gut hooked and bleeding out. I hate waste, so brought it home and filleted it. It was pretty good in the curry.

*Please don't say it's all about preparation. All my fish are ikied, bled and iced straightaway, then vacuum packed if not eaten fresh. We're just not keen on it. It's good smoked, but billy goat testicles are probably good smoked! Besides, I can usually catch snapper to order!
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Kahawai curry for us last night. We don't normally eat it*, but I found a fillet in the freezer. It took a bit of head scratching to work out how it ended up there, then I remembered my dirty bait fishing mate caught it. It was gut hooked and bleeding out. I hate waste, so brought it home and filleted it. It was pretty good in the curry.

*Please don't say it's all about preparation. All my fish are ikied, bled and iced straightaway, then vacuum packed if not eaten fresh. We're just not keen on it. It's good smoked, but billy goat testicles are probably good smoked! Besides, I can usually catch snapper to order!
    I wish I knew a way to cook Kahawai that was good every time. They don't freeze well and cooked some fish are great and others are terrible caught the same day. The only way I like all of them is raw with wasabi and soya.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I wish I knew a way to cook Kahawai that was good every time. They don't freeze well and cooked some fish are great and others are terrible caught the same day. The only way I like all of them is raw with wasabi and soya.
    Exactly the same way @GWH did his rabbit. Thicken sauce part a bit first add Fish cook till tender (not too long)
    I prefer the fish steaked and just a very quick sear to colour it before adding to the sauce. But I know some are not keen on dealing with the bones.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spada View Post
    Exactly the same way @GWH did his rabbit. Thicken sauce part a bit first add Fish cook till tender (not too long)
    I prefer the fish steaked and just a very quick sear to colour it before adding to the sauce. But I know some are not keen on dealing with the bones.
    Thanks for your answer @spada, after I posted the question, a feeling of the most remorseful sickening dread came over me as I realised the implications - that Dundee could, and may yet post a photo of a Kahawai stranded and beached in a shallow sea of Watties
    dannyb likes this.

@Moa Hunter No worries mate.
    I've noticed there's quite a bit of Moses parting the red sea on this thread. But hey it takes all sorts

Mind you if you lead with your chin someones going to hit it... still time yet
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Got in for the first swim in ages and plucked a couple crays. Some big bastards around, left most alone but took this fulla and a couple mates. Some good numbers around which was great to see with the reduced quota. Biggest was 2.3kg. Pretty good size for a North island cray.

Got a couple meals of him, crayfish scrambled eggs, Maine style lobster rolls and a creamy tail pasta with homemade garlic bread. Bloody ideal

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, R93, Beaker and 5 others like this.