Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree13035Likes

Thread: Dinner thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Pretty easy, but time consuming.....

So, in a wide pot, about 2 litres water, thum sized bit of ginger (cut into slices - the Mrs likes hot water and ginger to drink, so I trimmed all the crap bits off a big piece, and used them), teaspoon of five spice powder, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 3-4 T rice wine (could use rum or bourbon) 2-3 T brown sugar, and 5 T corn flour.
    Get it boiling.
    Tie some string around duck neck. Will be used for hanging.
    Hold duck above pot, and use a soup ladle to pour water mix over duck, while not dunking duck in pot. Cover all the duck, and keep doing for about 5-10mins. (I take the extractor fan filter out, and there's a bracket inside the fan unit that is above the stove, and I put a metal hook onto this instead of holding.)
    Not trying to cook the duck here, just to get the fat moving in the skin, and getting some of the mix to stick.

Then hang in a cool windy place for 18-24 hours. I use my smoker, with a computer fan blowing in.

Then, onto a roasting dish with a rack. Preheated oven at 220 c, for about 1 hour. Rest for 20-30mins, then cut up.
    Thank mate l will give it a crack ,doing the skin is very similar to how we do out pork crackling & belly to get a spot on crunchy crackling with out being greasy .I will use my smoker the same way ,is there a particular duck breeds better than others ?Have you tried it with wild ducks?
    Beaker likes this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    Thank mate l will give it a crack ,doing the skin is very similar to how we do out pork crackling & belly to get a spot on crunchy crackling with out being greasy .I will use my smoker the same way ,is there a particular duck breeds better than others ?Have you tried it with wild ducks?
    Duck breed - canter Valley ducks from supermarket, are very good. This was a quacker duck, not as good. Not big and meaty like canter Valley ones.
    Never tried a wild duck. I think I'm shooting next season, so maybe I'll give it a go, but would have to be a good bird. Fatter the better.

As for crackle....
    Marty Henry likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Tonight's dinner was a rolled pork belly on the spit.
    Tried a new way, with making a spice/herb paste for the middle (fresh ginger, fresh temuric, fresh sage and basil, green onion, salt and pepper, a chilli, some oil and water - blended to a paste).
    Normal crackle prep - hot water pour over, pat dry, then poke heaps of hole in the skin.
    Then paste on the meat side, roll up and tie. Rub outside with salt. Into fridge over night uncovered to dry.

Today, on bench for 45mins, then onto bbq, For 1 hour 20, then heat off and left to turn for another 30 mins. Inside to bench for another 30,then sliced.

Came out bloody nice. In fact I think the most juicy one I've cooked.
    Name:  IMG_20220102_154435.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  3.92 MB
    veitnamcam, NRT, Dreamer and 6 others like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Duck breed - canter Valley ducks from supermarket, are very good. This was a quacker duck, not as good. Not big and meaty like canter Valley ones.
    Never tried a wild duck. I think I'm shooting next season, so maybe I'll give it a go, but would have to be a good bird. Fatter the better.

As for crackle....
    Eight or has a lot of Peking ducks, too many he says a cull is in the offing and seeing these are fed all the time so that's got to be tried.

Been away camping with the family and some friends and their families....ten days of too much ham, crayfish, cheese,crayfish, sausages, crayfish,bacon,crayfish,fish etc.Name:  IMG_20211230_165737.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  5.99 MB

So home now felt the need for some slow cooked lamb neck chops with lots of fresh garlic, onion,chilly, salt cracked pepper and half a beer in the slow cooker....I'm sure you can imagine because I forgot to take a photo but here is desert.
    All the scoopings out of the slow cooker.
    Name:  IMG_20220104_180018.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  4.74 MB
    I scooped the fat off the top before drinking..... alright I scooped a bit off.
    Tahr, Trout, mrs dundee and 9 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I just stirred the whole lot up and drank it.
    Beaker, Shearer, 300CALMAN and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I just stirred the whole lot up and drank it.
    Re-hydration

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and Beaker like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Burger King eat this.
    Name:  IMG_2806[1].JPG
Views: 237
Size:  2.25 MB
    Bun, cream cheese, venison pattie, beetroot, carrot, tomato, avocado, lettuce, mayo, bun.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Tonight. Foxton flounder.

Name:  IMG_5998.jpeg
Views: 224
Size:  4.19 MB

Dinner for 6 last night. 4 kg snapper. BBQ.

Name:  IMG_6002.jpeg
Views: 180
Size:  4.24 MB

Nothing special. Home kill sausies. Have been using this bbq a bit since Xmas. Even had kids asking ‘can I cook the sausies on it…’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missus is a great cook ,when we were living in Argentina, while l was guiding ,she became great friends with a head camp cook we called Nanna ,she was part Argy /Brazilian & just a lovely lady & fantastic old school cook ,who my wife was teaching to speak English so Nanna could earn more up front of the Ranch .

When we flew out on the Ranches private airstrip for the last time she ran next to the plane ,with her long apron waving , crying ,my wife was heart broken. .
    One of our favorite Nanna's recipes ,that my Missus made sure to learn from Nanna was her families old recipe for Olla Bahia de Mariscos con Leche de Coco ,which from memory in English is something like Bahia ,(a region of Brazil her family were from),Seafood & coconut milk Hot Pot .

Basically it is cooked in Ceramic Hot Pots, covered so it steams the Seafood.

Each crock pot is filled with Scallops ,Crayfish ,Paua, Prawns, King Fish,Calamari & mussels , Steamed in a splash of a good White Wine, Olive Oil ,Coconut milk ,chilli & red peppers ,little bit of garlic & Parsley & gently steamed/cooked on the BBQ until just done & served with rice to soak up the goodness.

We both love the food our sports of Hunting & Spearfishing provides & some how it always tastes better when you harvest it & cook it yourself .

.This is the before Pic as forgot the after as it smelt so good cooking

Name:  BACH Argy Sea Food Hot Pots Sml.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  83.3 KB
    Last edited by bunji; 08-01-2022 at 10:49 PM.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

@tiroahunta Yumbo ,Nothing wrong with home made Mystery Bags on a good old bit of Kiwi Shed ingenuity ,it is a right of passage for your Kiwi Man Card. I taught my kids from a early age how to cook on a open fire BBQ ,as they got old enough to be left alone they would be rewarded with a packet of marshmallows to toast or their all time favorite a Banana in the skin ,wrapped in Al foil ,split down the center & "stuffed" with a couple of rows off a bar of Whittaker's chocolate & placed in the coals until the chocolate melts
    Moa Hunter and Chelsea like this.

@bunji when I was fishing in Argentina doing an exploratory trip looking for a hoki spawn .
    For a couple of weeks of the 3month ordeal we were pulling up cases of scollops.
    If they were the same as here I couldn't say but they looked the same except it was the wrong time of year for roe.
    Domestic stores cooling stopped working at week one so by the end of the first month it was rancid beef/hard bread/wine and whatever we could get out of the factory and cook ourselves after the ships cooks had gone to bed.

Factory hands were just binning up all these scollops and turfing them out the scuppers.
    I kept a case and shucked them and fried up for the midnight meal for the arge Forman and some crew.
    Very well received and the next day I was pleased to see they were keeping a few cases aside for a meal.
    Later that night I went into the galley and here they are with 3 big pots boiling full of un shucked whole scollops
    Oh well at least they weren't going back overboard.
    bunji and Moa Hunter like this.

@veitnamcam I would have cried One of my greatest fears is eating a crook Oyster or Scallop etc .One of my great pleasures in life is a good feed of Bacon & Eggs ,when we were guiding in Montana everything was brought into camp by horse & so it would turn up in varying degrees of rooted. The first few days after the end of the Elk season we were down to skeleton crew & in clean up & storage mode ,when l thought l will cook up a nice feed of Bacon & Eggs for the big day ahead & use up what was in the ground larder ,as soon as the first egg hit the hot pan the smell had me dry reaching & the yolk was a disgusting Blacky/green color & always wondered how many the cook had sneaked through on the turn .I could not eat eggs for over a year after & l love seafood that much l would hate it to happen with it.With us having spent so much time in hot & tropical climates like PNG ,Top End of Oz & Africa with only basic refrigeration at best, we are always paranoid about food safety, having seen the end result for some poor souls
    Last edited by bunji; 08-01-2022 at 11:44 PM.
    veitnamcam, Beaker and Moa Hunter like this.