Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree13038Likes

Thread: Dinner thread?

Venny backstraps that @andyanimal31 gave us too cook while we were off the grid in Central North Island.
    Name:  picture 01 4662.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  163.9 KB
    Name:  picture 01 4663.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  164.4 KB
    Name:  picture 01 4664.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  163.4 KB
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Another top feed at the Bach by the Missus , Argentinian, Seafood Paella from the recipe of our "Nanna" the camp cook while guiding in Argentina with ,Crayfish,Paua,Prawns ,Scallops ,Mussels ,Occy,Snapper .Hit the spot after big day on the water & Hunting with a nice patch of Goats found up a tiger country river offshoot in the Jet Boat . Another 3 Jet Boats rocking up at the Bach Tomorrow so good times just keep on going & there will be a Goat bomb up for our Home made Game Sausages & hopefully a young one for cooking whole on the spit .

Name:  Bach Argy Paella Sml.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  96.1 KB
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

NRT
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Venny backstraps that @andyanimal31 gave us too cook while we were off the grid in Central North Island.
    Attachment 187556
    Attachment 187557
    Attachment 187558
    What the fuck no watties man ,u not new year resolution it

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk
    Dundee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post

Hell got to have the watties!
    Name:  picture 01 4666.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  164.2 KB
    mrs dundee likes this.
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post

Second photo to the left no the right of the pink plate on the ground I think you will see the condiment referred to.
    Dundee likes this.

Fallow fawn backstrap.(was almost a yearling and my daughter shot it after shooting it's mum)

Generously seasoned with garlic and herb salt and ground black pepper then coated in rice bran oil and into a well preheated cast iron pan, seared all over for 3-4 min then onto paper towels on a very warm plate and covered with foil for 10 min.
    Could've cut it with my finger it was that tender!

Name:  IMG_20220110_181838.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  6.30 MB
    Name:  IMG_20220110_182120.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  5.79 MB
    Dreamer, Beaker, bunji and 7 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Very healthy looking kai there.
    veitnamcam, Beaker and bunji like this.

Kids wanted to go for a biscuit run this morning, so whil they were changing etc at the end, it would have been rude to not cast a rod.... Got one and that was enough...
    And just got this weber GA bbq a few days ago, so this is the second cook, and was mint.
    Name:  20220110_163908.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  5.14 MB

Snapper with spring onions and parsley in the guts. Rubbed with olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper. Precooked new Spuds, coated in oil and salt.

Still learning the vent setting/placement of coals thing, but I can see it being used alot. Awesome bit of kit.
    veitnamcam, Dreamer, bunji and 5 others like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

BBQed hare meat and potatoe slices.
    Name:  picture 01 4685.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  163.1 KB
    Add watties.
    Name:  picture 01 4686.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  163.6 KB
    mrs dundee, tamamutu and Chelsea like this.
    CFD

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Kids wanted to go for a biscuit run this morning, so whil they were changing etc at the end, it would have been rude to not cast a rod.... Got one and that was enough...
    And just got this weber GA bbq a few days ago, so this is the second cook, and was mint.
    Attachment 187634

Snapper with spring onions and parsley in the guts. Rubbed with olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper. Precooked new Spuds, coated in oil and salt.

Still learning the vent setting/placement of coals thing, but I can see it being used alot. Awesome bit of kit.
    Nice. Ive got the same bbq at my hut. Used it once for chops/sausages and as you say some trial and era getting the vents right and the coals hot. Any tips you learn along the way with yours would be greatly appreciated.

Name:  IMG_5971.jpeg
Views: 192
Size:  5.87 MB
    Beaker likes this.

NRT
    Get a charcoal starter chimney ,gets coals cranking in that then place in Weber with vents slightly open

MB likes this.

Had a lay day from hunting , but a big day working at the Bach ,getting deer & goats into the Chiller,getting all the seafood sorted & packed into foam boxes on the floor of the chiller etc , us blokes spent the day getting the Smokers & Spits assembled for our 30th Anniversary bash on Friday night & setting up out door lights ,digging fire pit ,getting decent size wood for the Spits & BBQ etc & the boats all fueled up & Dive tanks etc double checked ,for the next couple of days Diving & hunting with the Jet Boats ,while the girls headed into town & got party supplies etc .

So did a easy set & forget cook up for all the crew ,Smoked Venison Rump in my old gas Smoker l will now leave at the Bach & took revenge on the Killer Occy l got attacked by on the dive the other day & did him on a slow simmer for 1 1/4 hrs in a large stock pot of water , on the gas BBQ Wok Burner.

Did him our favorite way for Occy ,our Kiwi version of Argentinian style, Pulpo a la Gallega, with good handful of Salt & Pepper to taste ,fresh Ginger & Chillie to taste ,4 cloves of garlic, sprig of oregano, 2 onions, chopped roughly,1 tablespoon of home made smoked paprika,1 tea spoon of normal paprika, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne,1 juiced lemon ,1/2 a Lime ,all just chucked in with him in the simmering water .

After its done, take it out let it cool & drain ,roughly cut up the meat, that is as tender as butter now (normal scissors will even do it) & toss in a dish with a good glug of olive oil & then do a QUICK sear on all sides on the BBQ grill,(charcoal is better) ,served tossed in with salad & some oriental noodles .The Occy stock left in the pot will be used as the base of the stock for the Argy Seafood Paella at the party .

That will teach the bugger trying to take a bit out of me,in over 30 yrs of diving he was the most aggressive Occy l have ever come across & he had obviously been living on Crayfish for a while, as it was bloody delicious with a distinct Cray flavor ,the stock will be ideal for Paella .

Smoked Venison Rump ,the Rump is perfect for this as it holds moisture so well

Name:  Bach Smoked Venison Rump Sml.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  87.0 KB

Killer Occy, Argentinian Revenge

Name:  Bach Killer Occy revenge Sml.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  88.6 KB

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    Killer Occy, Argentinian Revenge
    Attachment 187791
    Will never forget eating "pulpo al carbon" BBQ octopus in Lima Peru, so soft so succulent so tasty.
    Sideshow likes this.

@300CALMAN Agreed mate people go on about Asian Seafood cooking but me & my missus both prefer South American style for a lot of it ,as it is still very authentic & not over powered by sauces etc .I could live on Argentinian & Brazilian food & me & the missus could live in Argentina quite easily great food , people & morals in the countryside .
    300CALMAN likes this.

Veni shanks browned.
    Half a can of beer.
    Onions,garlic,chilli,mushrooms and bacon all browned and into the slow cooker, layer of tomato on top and plenty of salt and pepper in between.
    Name:  IMG_20220113_203400.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  6.65 MB
    Name:  IMG_20220113_203601.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  6.34 MB
    Name:  IMG_20220113_203930.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  6.41 MB

Turned on for a couple of hours before bed and again in the morning....by 3 all the bones just lifted out clean.

Forgot the finished photo but it was bloody good.
    Tahr, Dreamer, Beaker and 5 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.