Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Eating stag venison

I'm eating stinky stag meat right now haha I got given a red stag that was shot during this years roar, stunk strong as anything while I skinned it.

Wear gloves while skinning and ditch the skin ASAP.

It went down a treat with myself, the Mrs and two two year olds on top of hot chips as loaded fries. I can post the recipe if anyone is interested?
    P. S. It's gluten and dairy free (allergies)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    I'm eating stinky stag meat right now haha I got given a red stag that was shot during this years roar, stunk strong as anything while I skinned it.

Wear gloves while skinning and ditch the skin ASAP.

It went down a treat with myself, the Mrs and two two year olds on top of hot chips as loaded fries. I can post the recipe if anyone is interested?
    P. S. It's gluten and dairy free (allergies)
    Your stag would have been better before the rut. Any breeding age male animals are bad eating and esp during the breeding period, Rams even young ones are a disaster if they have been rooting unless you like 'Ram Taint'. Stags are a bit different to Boars, Billys, male rabbits etc because their testosterone level is low during velvet growth then increases from Feb on towards the Rut. So they are best Nov to early March

We got a couple of animals done from the roar. Took them to the home kill butcher in Tuakau who processed them into steaks and sausages. Back steaks whole. Neither animal was in full roar.
    I think, as well as the condition of the animal, the chilling and processing has a major part in it

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Your stag would have been better before the rut. Any breeding age male animals are bad eating and esp during the breeding period, Rams even young ones are a disaster if they have been rooting unless you like 'Ram Taint'. Stags are a bit different to Boars, Billys, male rabbits etc because their testosterone level is low during velvet growth then increases from Feb on towards the Rut. So they are best Nov to early March
    Yeah this guy was early April, roaring up a storm. The guy who shot it roared once and the stag came barrelling out of the scrub onto a clearing and "blausch", done like dinner. He was incredibly lean, pretty much turned to a gel in the mincer, no fat on him at all and cooked up really well so far.