Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Made Some Stock from a Recent Deer

eka knives have been around forever..my old man had one with red handle...until it went through hot wash and came out pink LOL.
    I HAD a wooden handled one till my mate dropped it in spawning stream up behind rotorua (what teenage lads were doing up there need not be said)...
    they were good honest knives for possum skinning.

used a cup of bone broth at mates place last wekend,poured it in pan,added my venison mince,when had browned added rice,then more boiling water,simmered until rice soft,simmered a little more to reduce liquid completely and het presto..Milkys famous rice rissotto..... normally flavour added with steak seasoning,this time just a teaspoon of vegemite....

What sort of mincer do you use Micky?

we have killed kambrook and now the george foreman...so its back to Grannies old hand crank cast iron one.....one thing if you have electric mincer use the biggest hole plate you have as venison done fine is rather mushy...course is heaps better.

I've thought about getting an electric mincer, but the domestic ones I've seen don't look particularly durable to me. And the mincers which looked good were big and expensive. I have a relatively new (maybe 15 years old) cast iron hand-cranked device which I use occasionally. We have too much stuff in our kitchen already. Bought a danged air-fryer oven maybe a month ago which uses precious bench space. Makes a quick feed of fairly decent chips though.
    Micky Duck likes this.

those air fryers do great chips...chicken nuggets go well in them too.
    I did 20kgs of duck n goose breasts through hand mincer a year or 12 back......took some doing but well worth it. butcher made awesome salamis.
    veitnamcam and Coote like this.

i got a big fat stag a while ago,and rendered down the fat into lard , and quite often use it to fry my venison steaks in , and sometimes bread and eggs too . It is yum. a little bit deerie flavoured for the rest of the family , but i like it. keeps well , and mixed with olive oil it is a good leather dressing.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Deerie flavoured would be fine with me. Just the fact that there are deer with fat on them is a cause for great rejoicing. In my experience a fat deer is pretty rare.

My first cast bullet lube was made from goat fat. It seemed to work well enough, but I had doubts as to how long it might last without deteriorating.

My home lube is now made from beeswax and Prolan oil. But prior to that I just melted some beeswax and added enough olive oil to get the texture I wanted. The ladyfolk used it for lip balm, and I used it for bullet lube, grafting wax and for the occasional bit of leather dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Coote View Post
    Deerie flavoured would be fine with me. Just the fact that there are deer with fat on them is a cause for great rejoicing. In my experience a fat deer is pretty rare.

My first cast bullet lube was made from goat fat. It seemed to work well enough, but I had doubts as to how long it might last without deteriorating.

My home lube is now made from beeswax and Prolan oil. But prior to that I just melted some beeswax and added enough olive oil to get the texture I wanted. The ladyfolk used it for lip balm, and I used it for bullet lube, grafting wax and for the occasional bit of leather dressing.
    beeswax would smell a bit better for lip balm too. yes a fat deer is not that common , around christmas seems to be the best time to get fat stags i recon.
    Coote likes this.

I put the bones that have most but not all of the meat removed into the oven to roast at 300F for a couple of hours for more flavor before putting them into the stock pot. Put some onions on the tray in the oven too for half the time. Great flavored meaty stock and then add all the other goodies for soup or thicken for stew.
    Coote likes this.