Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Plover Scrambled Egg

Plover Scrambled Egg

I know we love to hate the raucous awful territorial maniacal birds, but the other day whilst in the tractor, I had two plovers in an agitated state and then through the cab window I espied the reason for their angst...a clutch of eggs...the plover does not provide a very good nest for the eggs, in fact the nest is a nest without being a nest...I stopped the tractor and proceeded to deal to the eggs when I decided wait a minute I will take one (they were freshly laid) and try it out...afterall, we wild fooders have to have deep enquiring minds and the sharing of our findings is undoubtedly the greater pleasure.

The plover egg...

So what to make...hmmmm, I would make scrambled egg...first, cracked it into a saucer in the time honoured method

Into a bowl with some milk, freshly ground pepper, a skiff of salt and some mixed herbs...

Into a hot pan with melted butter, rubbled it around as you do with scrambled eggs, then plated it...

Hmmmm, very good...at last I thought, I have encountered the plovers one redeeming feature...a lovely egg of very delicate flavour...
    veitnamcam and Lentil like this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Wow.. dont think i would have had to guts to give it a try...
    Out of 10???

9.5....I was surprized how delicate the flavour was...sort of had an idea it would be strong flavoured but no, very good actually.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    9.5....I was surprized how delicate the flavour was...sort of had an idea it would be strong flavoured but no, very good actually.
    You might have started a fad that we will see, soon in high class restaurants Good on ya for having the curiosity to try it.
    Ya would wanna be pretty bloody hungry though eh??
    Last edited by R93; 02-10-2012 at 10:46 PM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I must admit that egg does look good , with the added pleasure of ridding the earth one squawking annoying pest at same time . Put me down for a dozen !
    EeeBees likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Thats great Eeebees But wheres the other 3 eggs did you roll em

I got my old lady too fry me some thush eggs when i was a kid,but they went hard fast
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Caretaker

Plover Scrambled Egg

Im impressed eebees, my dad had a passion for wild eggs.

We were eeling and catching koura at night in the feeble glow of his chromed metal 'big Jim' torch when we found a goose nest....... With renewed energy he scooped half of the eggs up and wrapped them in weed from the creek before putting them in his muttoncloth bag (freezing works issue )

Every new bend in the creek he would slow, turning to us we could see his ciggie glow bright as he drew in air to speak, we would be told many times as the night wore on, how they were to be cooked, what salt and seasoning was best and just how much better than "townie" chook eggs they were.
    The rest of the night we flicked eels onto the bank where they got a sharp blow to the noggin and the end of their tail cut off, all their nerves were there apparently (those old wives must have told a bloody lot of tales )
    The biggest eels had little bumps like horns on their heads, prob 5 mm long and made grunting noises when pulled from the water

A tuesday saw me up and almost off to school with my usual feeling of distain and a strong feeling to be anywhere but in a classroom, when i noticed dad was home, a rarity on a work day, i lay next to him and he turned slowly and said quietly "dont touch those goose eggs" and went back to staring at the ceiling. Turns out they wernt that fresh, in fact they were quite the opposite and brought a 6ft 6 man to his knees, many times during the night, many many times apparently

My mates laugh about it now, and we still all miss him a lot, and i have learned to stay away from eggs and have hardly eaten one in the last 35 years, such was the fright i got to see him sick.
    So im impressed eebees that you gave them a try, you are much braver than i.
    Raging Bull, Paora, Dundee and 1 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    EeeBees it is a shame that you didn't cook them all the egg looks great and I am just a little jealous.
    EeeBees likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely

Nice one Eeebees, certainly something a bit different.

A Danish guy used to get geese eggs from me when I had a gaggle of greylags...I gave the geese up after being attacked by the gander...boy do their wings hurt your legs when they are in a rage, while the pinchy end takes a hold on the nether region, and does it very well too!!! the expression...a real pain in the a... springs to mind

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    So tell me EeeBees, what had you done to piss the gander off that much that is set to pecking and flapping at you?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely

I was checking to see how the hatching of one of goose's clutch was going on...clutch being the operative word

P38
    Never tried Plover eggs but have eaten plenty of seagull eggs... they are pretty darn good too.

We collect them when fishing the river.
    Mark a nest or two dump the eggs in them, go back the next day and there should be one fresh egg in each nest.

Banned
    thats the entree rite???? or a frape????? id need ten of those and skettie to feel ready for the day.

What is skettie?