Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By slk12
  • 2 Post By SickShooter

Thread: Rabbit Skewers

Rabbit Skewers

Name:  IMG_7362 Small.jpeg
Views: 157
Size:  23.6 KB

I cooked up yesterday's rabbit for lunch today and felt like some restaurant-quality meat. This came off beautiful with flavours that make your taste buds flame and sing. Photos down the bottom of the post.

This combination of herbs and spices works on almost any meat with some very slight modification. I usually use it on chicken or beef but felt creative today. The back legs were minced from the shotgun on this one so I used the back steaks for middle eastern inspired kebabs.

I never measure any ingredients I just eyeball it so do what you feel is appropriate with the measurements, I'm giving an approx guide. All you need to do is combine everything in a bowl and leave for any amount of time in the fridge, then slide onto skewers and grill. Served with a garlic yoghurt sauce.

Recipe for 1 rabbit's worth of back steaks:

Serves 1

Rabbit Marinade:

- Rabbit backsteaks, cut into 1-inch cubes
    - A few tablespoons of olive oil
    - Salt and pepper to taste
    - 1 generous spoon of minced/crushed garlic
    - handful of chopped fresh coriander and parsley
    - 1 tsp cumin
    - 1tsp coriander powder
    - 1/2 tsp chilli (depending on your spice tolerance)
    - 1/2 tsp mixed spice
    - 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Yoghurt Sauce :

- 3 tbl spoons *unsweetened yoghurt
    - Small handful chopped fresh herbs, could be any of mint, parsley, dill, coriander
    - pinch of sugar
    - 1/2 tsp minced/crushed garlic
    - salt and pepper to taste

Method:

leave all ingredients for rabbit to marinate for as long as you can be bothered, then chuck it on skewers on the grill until done to your liking. If you don't have skewers just put chunks of rabbit straight onto the grill. Serve straight of the barbie with yoghurt sauce and demolish for any meal

Name:  IMG_7363 Small.jpeg
Views: 143
Size:  33.3 KB

IMG_7365.pdf
    MB, tamamutu, kukuwai and 4 others like this.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy decoys

MB
    Sounds great, love stuff like this.

MB
    I did hare backstrap kebabs once. Texture was great, but tasted a bit grassy.

Made a good hare & pork stew the other day. It was only a small hare so I chucked in a pork steak as well, mostly cubed except the hare legs on the bone.

Standard stew: before lunchtime, chop a couple of onions, add a teaspoon of garlic paste plus assorted herbage from the garden, and fry up in bacon fat or cooking oil, then chuck in a slow-cooker. Brown the meat in the same frypan and chuck it in too. Add a can of tomatoes (whole plum toms if like me you like yours chunky, otherwise diced, with herbs if you don't have any to hand), a good handful of mushrooms and about a glass of red wine, plus a sliced chilli or two if you like it hot, then cook until dinner time - on high for a couple of hours until the fat starts to pool, then low for another few hours. Stir every hour or so, fishing out the hare leg bones and topping up with water if it needs it. 20 mins before dinner time, cook some rice or pasta, or slice some grainy bread to have with it. Optionally, chuck in a good handful of washed baby spinach leaves from the garden, or some frozen sweetcorn, or whatever, for the last 10 mins.

It freezes well as single portions in zip-lock sandwich bags.
    308 and Preacher like this.