Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Roasting venison

@gimp was it you that had a photo of some very saucy delicious looking ribs recently? I've shot an over fat stag and have the whole thing to play with. I've deboned the rib and flank from one side which is really thick with say 25% fat content, I was thinking of doing a rolled type slow cook roast with that but might take ribs bone and all off the other side. Any recipes?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Name:  20220108_123840.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  427.9 KB
    Name:  20220108_123818.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  307.8 KB
    Name:  20220108_123758.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  362.2 KB

Current state
    veitnamcam, Dreamer, Danny and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    @gimp was it you that had a photo of some very saucy delicious looking ribs recently? I've shot an over fat stag and have the whole thing to play with. I've deboned the rib and flank from one side which is really thick with say 25% fat content, I was thinking of doing a rolled type slow cook roast with that but might take ribs bone and all off the other side. Any recipes?
    Yep. I take the whole ribcage off either side then separate into 3 strips - 2 from the upper ribs, then the short ribs from the sternum end which are generally meatier. I parboil in water in a large stockpot until *just* fork tender as a whole 1/3 rack before cutting into 2-4 ribs sections. Have to be careful not to overcook as they fall apart but need to be cooked enough to transform connective tissue to gelatin. Then brush with a BBQ sauce (make your own or buy one) and finish on a BBQ, smoker, charcoal grill or under the grill in the oven.

I find parboiling is the best way to tenderise them, I haven't yet had any luck trying low & slow on a grill or baking - need to try wrapped in foil or something on a big offset smoker maybe.

The fat can be quite "tallowy" and stick to the roof of your mouth if not eaten hot immediately. Parboiling helps render some of it out.

Name:  20211217_183308.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  2.90 MB
    NRT, Dreamer, 25 /08 IMP and 1 others like this.

Don't have any good photos of the process or product unfortunately