Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Sausages

Unless you have access to a stable medium temp environment its too hot to do it at the moment. Autumn would be a good time to start some off.
    Bactoferm ( the starter culture ) wont work over 27'C
    For those of us that just " hang it in the shed" its just going to spoil untill the weather turns a bit cooler.
    I will set to and right up my recipe tommorow.
    I wouldnt just throw a bit of salt and wine into the meat and see what happens, fridges tend to be too cool to let the ingredientss do their job.
    Edunn likes this.

Anyone got any experience with Dunningham's sausage products? A little bit confusing on their website as to which are pre-mixes of spice/preservative concentrates & meal or just separate non-mixed quantity bags. Recommendations for best products of thier's to go with some Veni or wild pork would be appreciated?

Give sausage by design a call top people
    johnd likes this.

Still struggling a bit to get good real texture in straight veni snags. They end up real soft and a little crumbly. How many times do you guys run mixture through grinder and on what plate size to achieve a good bind? Not using fillers either

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Cappa View Post
    Still struggling a bit to get good real texture in straight veni snags. They end up real soft and a little crumbly. How many times do you guys run mixture through grinder and on what plate size to achieve a good bind? Not using fillers either
    I had the same problem when I started. You need a good binder. Ask your butcher and they will help you out with what to use. Extra grinding wont help a whole lot.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Cheers R93. Any difference between a binder and a filler? Have chatted with a ex butcher and he talked about sausage 'meal' but didn't elaborate much. Have seen on here guys throwing in bread crumbs and milk powder - is this what you mean by a binder?

Banned
    Pretty good with some fatty brisket and served a little rare.
    SA mate dried a whole lot out as well. It's amazing how much you can munch through with a few beers

R93
    Cheers R93. Any difference between a binder and a filler? Have chatted with a ex butcher and he talked about sausage 'meal' but didn't elaborate much. Have seen on here guys throwing in bread crumbs and milk powder - is this what you mean by a binder?
    I think they give the same result. I have for now stopped making my own sausages when I found out my local butcher does it almost as cheap (And better) than I can when I am supplying the meat.
    I use Dunningnams meal prepper. I think it cost around $10 for a kilo and a little goes a long way. You can get different flavours etc. My sausages improved a lot when using it.

For me, 25% pork fat, meal prepper and a heap of chilli and garlic works wonders.
    Chamois mixed with other wild meats make the best sausages I have eaten.
    Wild pork and paradise duck is awesome as well.
    I do a lot of bull thar and mature ones have a unique taste at all times of the year. All that meat goes into sausages.

Great way to utilise the whole animal.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I had the same problem when I started. You need a good binder. Ask your butcher and they will help you out with what to use. Extra grinding wont help a whole lot.

We tried making snags a couple years ago. Yeah nah pay for the experts I reckon. My understanding is that veni needs fat to help it bind and also cook as it is a lean meat. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah using plenty of fat (30-40% wt/vol). Could try more i guess... Find most of fat seems to render out during cooking but it still keeps inside moist but just no snap or bind between meat as it were. Reading up they talk about need to get emulsification of fat to lean hence thought that extra grinding might help. This was also suggested when i emailed sausage by design and explained my process. Haven't tried any unique fillers or binders though so will look some up. Nah no point in quitting after a couple of minor set backs - that just wouldn't be DIY

R93
    Yeah using plenty of fat (30-40% wt/vol). Could try more i guess... Find most of fat seems to render out during cooking but it still keeps inside moist but just no snap or bind between meat as it were. Reading up they talk about need to get emulsification of fat to lean hence thought that extra grinding might help. This was also suggested when i emailed sausage by design and explained my process. Haven't tried any unique fillers or binders though so will look some up. Nah no point in quitting after a couple of minor set backs - that just wouldn't be DIY
    Do you grind your fat and meat from slightly frozen? I just use the smallest sized plate my machine has. Sometimes grind it all twice but really no need.

Yeah have always used fat and meat from frozen. Thaw it for an hour or so just enough to easily cube up with a knife but still pretty much frozen. I have just been running the coarse plate (8mm diam holes) as find this works really well for mince. Have a med (5mm diam) and fine (3mm diam) plate but have never used em. Usually try alternate cubes when mincing to help spread fat and lean throughout mix and to keep mincer head from being bound up with fat. Always try to keep mincer head cold to stop this also. Mix by hand for 10min or more to try get the sticky bind

R93
    Yeah have always used fat and meat from frozen. Thaw it for an hour or so just enough to easily cube up with a knife but still pretty much frozen. I have just been running the coarse plate (8mm diam holes) as find this works really well for mince. Have a med (5mm diam) and fine (3mm diam) plate but have never used em. Usually try alternate cubes when mincing to help spread fat and lean throughout mix and to keep mincer head from being bound up with fat. Always try to keep mincer head cold to stop this also. Mix by hand for 10min or more to try get the sticky bind
    Maybe try using 3mm plate. I think my smallest plate iirc is 6mm and the last batch I made turned out pretty good. Not mealy like they usually were.
    You will get it sussed. My mealy ones were not that fun to deal with but tasted good enough. The binder/filler helped a lot as it was the only change I made.

Thanks - Will give that a crack next time!!

So just had my first crack at linked sausages. This is my second attempt at sausage making with the first one being a full length Boerewors. Its definitely a time consuming process, but 25kg should keep the family happy for the next couple of months.

My question, does anyone cold smoke their sausages before freezing, and if yes, recommended method/timing/preferred wood??

Name:  c8afe495-1e5b-4e29-9dcb-bb37c5c6687c.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  125.3 KB
    Tahr, Dundee, Beaker and 5 others like this.