Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Sourdough starter and bread making tutorial

yeah.....old school wanted a written script to follow...will look tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    rightho...whats the recipe/how to proceed from here to loaf of bread please......
    Here you go https://fgbc.dk/38p the loaf I posted (#27) first was made with this formula.

Hint
    Make sure your starter is really active (bubbly) before starting.

develop your gluten so that it passes the window pane test.

Retard the rise by proofing in the fridge overnight

Cook really hot with steam for first 15 mins straight from the fridge

The site I've given the link for is a great calculator for budding bread-men/persons

Good luck
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    Attachment 134949
    Could've done with 5 mins more.
    Years ago when I was a young fella I baked the bread every weekend for a bakery and hot bread shop in ChCh. To prove (rise) the loaves we used a small freezer panel room with submersible elements stuck in buckets of water to made a bread sauna / steam room. madjon's is the best proved bread here, with a thin crust and well distributed air bubbles. It must have been at exactly the correct balance between slack ( too wet ) and tight ( too dry ) this has nothing in common with grading fannys by the way. At home putting the bread tins in a roasting dish with some warm water ( 35 ish degrees ) and the lid on works very well. A sour dough probably wont need that as it is more a yeast dough method, however if the sourdough needs a boost that trick will do it
    veitnamcam likes this.

Been a nice read this topic. It really makes me want to try a bread starter. I made some awesone ham, cheese & onion scones today. I've been baking cakes with the kids daily. But i found this rewana bread recipe online. Thought someone might like this to try. Its a potato bug/starter.
    Name:  91687999_3168039289873499_996695174476201984_n.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  81.6 KB
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Projects View Post
    Been a nice read this topic. It really makes me want to try a bread starter. I made some awesone ham, cheese & onion scones today. I've been baking cakes with the kids daily. But i found this rewana bread recipe online. Thought someone might like this to try. Its a potato bug/starter.
    Attachment 135154
    Interesting,that recipe is from back in the days before commercial bread yeast became available although the temps have been changed from Fahrenheit. All the bakers used to make their own 'potatoe yeast in a drum just like in the recipe and keep it going. They would just ladle out liquid from the drum into the dough.
    Micky Duck and Projects like this.

That's interesting to know. For me growing up visiting my nan's whanau there would always be a fresh rewana bread and i remember a container in the hot water cupboard and kitchen that had a 'potato bug in it'. As a little kid a bug living in a container was an odd thought. But i later understood it was a bread starter.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Name:  IMG_0357.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  605.5 KB

The results of my first trial. I have some serious issues with my starter and the flower I am using. It has a very weak gluten structure.
    That bread is going to be as dense as a brick.
    I ll try another one as soon as I can put my hand on some descent flour. I am very disappointed by myself .

I did two loaves in the WFO yesterday using different methods. The first one is shown in the pizza oven threat https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....tml#post982275, and this is the other one, both cooked at the same time.

Both these loaves were hand mixed, one as the no kneed method, and the other with the folding method. Both were super wet, >80% hydration (too wet for me to handle and I had to add a small amount of dusting flow to get to something I could work with).
    For the dough that was folded 5-6 times, I autolysed the flour and water for 2 hours before adding the starter and salt. Man what a difference in the strength of the dough. Highly recommended.

Name:  2020-04-11 07.44.42.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  2.34 MB
    veitnamcam, Micky Duck and 2post like this.

Here's todays loaves.

Name:  2020-04-14 16.16.52.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  2.76 MB

That’s impressive!

Decent
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    veitnamcam and 308 like this.

My starter finally got going good then went funky so I discarded and started again...... waiting for it to get going good.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Put four in the oven this morning after an over night ferment in the fridge at 4 degC. Two were with 25% Rye meal and two were with 25% whole meal flour. The rye meal definitely had less spring due to rye having no gluten. Kids got into them before I had a chance to get a photo - one is missing.

Name:  2020-04-26 11.42.59.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  2.45 MB
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    ....The results of my first trial. .............It has a very weak gluten structure............I ll try another one as soon as I can put my hand on some descent flour. I am very disappointed by myself .
    The gluten content of NZ flour is all over the place like a mad woman's droppings and trying to get information on the % content per 100 gramms is like trying to get rid of a Show Pony. I have been told that the gluten content per 100 grms of WHITE flour which produces well, is 14%

IF I AM TO BELIEVE what I have been told after many questions, Countdown High Grade Flour is 11%, standard 10.9% and Pams High Grade 9%.....Yes, I know but I can only ask .I suspect the Count Down figures to be more accurate than Pams as I was told that they had never been asked for their gluten content.
    I just boost gluten content of the flour required in the recipe by adding gluten flour, (Countdown and New World)

Name:  CCF26042020.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  179.6 KB

. ie If the recipe calls for 1200 grms of flour and I am using Countdown HG which is 11% gluten per 100 grms, with a shortfall of 3 grms of gluten per 100 grms of flour, then I calculate 12 x 3 = 36 and reduce the flour by 36 grms and replace it with 36 grms of gluten flour.

Rough and ready but it works for me,,,,,,,,,,,,so any experts out there, don't bother telling me I'm all wrong.
    2post likes this.

Countdown has a bread and pizza doe flour that works pretty well.
    I have done 80% hydration, it is very sticky but the bread did turn up very well.